Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2000 USD to buy a laser that can blast through

Ace82

Schrechon_Licht, I saw most of your videos, and I must tell who read your post that what you say can be proven! :eek:

And yeah, laser tech at that range, well how does a CD player work? it uses a computer aided focusing device, which is made up of magnetics that focuses the dot until it "sees" it's info. And thus, such optics and microchips or programing and beam expanders with this rapid focus must exist with today's lasers to focus the photons together at a certain distance. Like how the magnifying glass must move in and out for the sun to reach it's collimation point...
It's like trying to "clap", a fly with your hands! Although 3d crystal laser engravers exist!

When comparing laser to weapon, lets all take a moment to consider the, "great debate". Is light mass?

Depends on your perception!

Does it fall with gravity?
Does it have direction and effect what matter it comes in contact with?

Look it up.

Phenomenon.

What is electricity?

Switch

When comparing laser to weapon, lets all take a moment to consider the, "great debate". Is light mass?

What does that have to do with laser being weapons? It's clear that laser weapons fall in the directed energy weapons category and not in the kinetic weapons category, that use sharp and heavy stuff that fly at very high speeds :-/

Schrecken_Licht said:
But up close and focused, it sliced right thru raw chicken skin like a hot knife thru styrofoam (20 watts of CO2 laser energy focused will also cut and melt glass) - so it could certainly cause some injury if you were to accidentally get a part of your body caught in the beam.

One of the things I really would like to know, is exactly what kind of hardware, optics, wattage and wavelength is needed to be able to "slice and dice" raw chicken at a distance of about 20 meters.

I've seen video of someone using one of those surplus M1 tank ranging lasers to punch holes through razor blades at fair distances (very small holes and using 1/1000 of a second pulses), but punching holes through thin steel doesn't really tell me much about what it's effect would be on animal flesh.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not planning on going postal or anything.
I just always wanted to build an auto-targeting anti rat, mouse and pigeon laser.

Anyone remember the movie "Andromeda Strain"?
andromeda_strain_the_1971_685x385.jpg

Here's a Youtube clip of the movie; the scene with the lasers is just a little before halfway through it. -Quite good effects for 1971.
This is Exactly what I want to build. -believe it or not, the auto-targeting part will be pretty easy, I just need to know the specs I need for the laser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfsJ074Ccp4&feature=PlayList&p=18E6E8D9C72F0060&index=0&playnext=1

Ace82

Switch said:
When comparing laser to weapon, lets all take a moment to consider the, "great debate".   Is light mass?

What does that have to do with laser being weapons? It's clear that laser weapons fall in the directed energy weapons category and not in the kinetic weapons category, that use sharp and heavy stuff that fly at very high speeds :-/

Awe, although, projectiles, is the word you're thinking to speak of, SuicideKing, stfu, takes energy, don't isolate the essences of all things in any factor, energy is the foundation of the integer.  Compare the explosion of a bullet in energy level, yeah, electric vs the combustion.  energy energy energy.  

yea theres a contractor we use that keeps telling me about his laser cutter that cuts through 3/4 inch ss and mild steel but he hasn't let me see it yet :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ace82 said:
Awe, although, projectiles, is the word you're thinking to speak of, SuicideKing, stfu, takes energy, don't isolate the essences of all things in any factor, energy is the foundation of the integer.  Compare the explosion of a bullet in energy level, yeah, electric vs the combustion.  energy energy energy.  

If you want to spend your life at the quantim level, then sure, even the lint in my navel is energy. It was engergy once, it's funky matter now and will eventually be energy again. -Great, but you're never going to turn the energy inside that piece of lint into a weapon and that little piece of lint STILL carries more real world mass than all the photons you'll ever generate in your lifetime.

In the flesh and blood world, Microwaves, Ultrasonics, EMPs and LASERS are all energy weapons.
Check with Newton's third law, no recoil = no mass.

Ace82

;D
I'm glad you didn't misunderstand me!

Only, I did watch that whole clip!  That's why I said what I said anyway!

3/4" Stainless steel huh, that must be reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll slow!  I've heard of laser machines that cut through 16 ga! Of coarse they are focused at distance.  A laser focused to infinity doesn't really make for good burning, although it will work if given the right amount of power!  So each laser needs to be focused in 3d X & Y which are left right up and down, then there's the Z axis, in and out or closer and further.  

Ace82 said:
;D
I'm glad you didn't misunderstand me!

Only, I did watch that whole clip!  That's why I said what I said anyway!

3/4" Stainless steel huh, that must be reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll slow!  I've heard of laser machines that cut through 16 ga! Of coarse they are focused at distance.  A laser focused to infinity doesn't really make for good burning, although it will work if given the right amount of power!  So each laser needs to be focused in 3d X & Y which are left right up and down, then there's the Z axis, in and out or closer and further.  

I can't think of many things that would cut it faster. My machine-shop uses a "Laser-Cutting Shop" to cut some 1/4"-thick SS-parts for brackets on a Harley-Davidson that we make, using a 400W CO2. It cuts faster and better than a water-jet, and way faster than a conventional "rotary-tool" (router). The edge-finish is great too! You would be suprised how quickly it slices through this very tough-material. Aluminum on the other hand can usually be cut faster on a router.

Ace82

Looks like my knowledge was out dated! :p That would be some cool stuff to watch!

SuicideKing said:
Check with Newton's third law,  no recoil = no mass.

<devil's advocate> But there IS recoil from lasers. It's just tiny. Photons do have momentum, and conservation of momentum implies recoil would exist. </devil's advocate> [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif]

pullbangdead said:
[quote author=SuicideKing link=1235719857/16#21 date=1235899371]
Check with Newton's third law,  no recoil = no mass.

<devil's advocate> But there IS recoil from lasers.  It's just tiny.  Photons do have momentum, and conservation of momentum implies recoil would exist. </devil's advocate>  [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif][/quote]

Photon's do have mass indeed. We are using ion propulsion in space. The thrust is very small but over long distances it helps. And yes light is effected by gravity---> just TONS of it though! If you can bend light then you are actually bending space-time! not an easy task however....

I can bend light with a prism or a lens. Does that make me a super-genius?

Additionally, I'm pretty sure ions and photons aren't the same thing.

Benm

Oh well, at least both have mass ;)

Momentum is truly conserved when photons are emitted though, and as such any laser (or non-omnidirectional light source for that matter) will experience a small force pushing in the direction opposite of its light emission.

The issue is how small that force is: If you emit a gigawatt of light (optical power that is), the resulting force is a whopping... 0.01 newton!

@cyparagon, you're not actually bending the light, it will always travel in a straight line. When gravity "bends" light (IE an Einstein Cross) it's actually space that is bending and not light. Ions and photons are indeed different.

@debate on recoil, you'll find that the recoil caused as the gas you're firing it through heats up and expands is much more significant than the mass of the photons...

Cyparagon said:
I can bend light with a prism or a lens. Does that make me a super-genius?

Additionally, I'm pretty sure ions and photons aren't the same thing.

As said thats not actually bending light. One of the ways we proved that space-time can be bent was when we could see stars from behind the sun even though the sun was blocking them. It take s alot of mass in order to do that though. Okay ions are not like photons, they are much heavier than photons, but here is an interesting read about ion propulsion http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/prop06apr99_2.htm

Also, about bending light---> look up gravitaional lensing, No prisms here.