Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2 questions

i have a phr diode which i have extracted from the sled and put into a aixis module and my drivers from rkcstr has just arived.

so firstly i need to know which pin is which.

i know the middle one is unused but which is LD on my driver left or right on this pic?

803T.jpg

and secondly i have no way of testing the current on my driver, can i not just turn the pot right down then slowly turn it up until the diode lights up?

thanks.

Yeah if you want to use the case as negative, connect the not used pin and negative to do so.

Flashlites are often case negative.
If you don't want this to look like a mess of wires, I recommend.

im very confused

what does having a case negative flashlight have to do with the pins on the diode?

untitled-5.png

It uses the neg and case pin to allow the neg current of the battery to flow through the metal of the case and into the diode to produce light

Quit confusing this guy and make it simple. just cut the centre pin off, get it out of the way, you only need the other two. attaching it to the neg lead of the LD could be very bad if you have a case positive host. the only real reason to leave it on is to use it for stability by soldering it to a unused pad on a driver board, like the rkcstr micro drive.
hope this helps, have a gret day !

Pyro

Last edited:
^I disagree with this advice. In my experience, leaving the case pin disconnected makes the diode more susceptible to damage from ESD, since it is electrically floating. Since I started connecting the case pin to the negative pin, I haven't lost a single diode to static.

^I disagree with this advice. In my experience, leaving the case pin disconnected makes the diode more susceptible to damage from ESD, since it is electrically floating. Since I started connecting the case pin to the negative pin, I haven't lost a single diode to static.

Thanks for mentioning that. I would have followed his easier advice and this could save me diodes in the future.