Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1st build: 445nm 1500ma, low divergence lens

Hello,

Quick writeup on my first build.

OBJECTIVES:

1) Good heat transfer:
Direct press heat sink for diode, thermal paste for drivers. Eudamonium did a great job on a custom direct press heat sink.

2) High Power:
445 baby! driven with 2 flexdrives V5. set at 750ma each, preset by DTR (Thanks)

3) High efficiency:
Again, 2 flexdrives thermal pasted to driver heat sink. For optical efficiency, used AR coated lens.

4) good beam quality:
Here, there is a trade-off with the available options. Either you go with AIXIZ for good beam at the expense of clipping the beam and reducing output, OR you go with 405-G-1 lens with great power at the expense of divergence.

I found a lens that has not been tested out here, the Thorlabs A240 lens. It is "A" AR Coated, has a longer focal length for reduced divergence, and a good numeric aperture (0.5) for good beam capture. My theory was that it would have ~405 G1 power transmittance, and lower divergence than the AIXIZ.

Drawbacks: 1) cost $80, but I wanted to try something new here and share the experience. 2) it required a M12x0.5 thread due to its larger diameter, had to ship a custom tap to Eudamonium.

5) Simplicity: -Went with a standard host, cree WF501B

RESULTS:

The power of these things are truly amazing, it is one thing to lurk on the forum and another to actually build one. Way too powerful. So powerful that I am still wearing my safety glasses while typing this because I forgot to take them off.

Divergence test:

Beam @ 8' = 6.35mm
Beam @ 24' = 15.875 mm

Divergence mrad~= (width 2 -width1)mm/(Distance 2-distance 2)m

Results in divergence of 1.95 mrad.

Power Transmittance: Unable to test at this time (no LPM).

Beam profile: Beam was actually tighter than I expected.

Conclusion:
Works great, on to the next project. I want to mention that the people on this forum are some of the most helpful, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable that I have encountered. A real pleasure to learn from :thanks: . Particularly Eudamonium really came through helping me with this non-standard heat sink for a great price.

Check out the pics!

Regards,

-James

Last edited:

Congrats on your first build!!
It's great to see that blue light come out and know that everything was put together correctly.:beer::beer:

Burnsy

Wow looks very nice :beer:

Could you take some pics from the dot (line) from very close? maybe taken thru safety glasses that it doesn't overkill the cam

Wow looks very nice :beer:

Could you take some pics from the dot (line) from very close? maybe taken thru safety glasses that it doesn't overkill the cam
yeah I have been having trouble taking pics of the dot without blasting the camara. I will try again tonight.

Very nice! Good to see not everybody follows the same recipe in building a laser.

Very nice! I would like to see the power transmittance of that lens!

DTR

Nice build.;) I like trying out new stuff as well. The only problem is with the different lens threading it will be difficult testing the power compared to an Aixiz or G-1.:thinking:

All you guys are saying "nice job" "nice build: and he still 0 rep. Give him rep guys

Helios

Great job. That lens is quite intriguing. Most builds use aixis modules so I think thats why it is not a more common lens to use. I would like to see it in comparison to a 405-g-1. How does the dot look? Such a large aperture can be a problem with artifacts since you dont get any clipping...if that was something you cared about. I know it happens with the 405-g-1 but maybe its different for this nice lens.

Last edited:
Nice build.;) I like trying out new stuff as well. The only problem is with the different lens threading it will be difficult testing the power compared to an Aixiz or G-1.:thinking:

My plan was to get a reducer made, to take the M12x0.5 down to an M9x0.5 and put in a JRob modified 405-G-1 (which I have on order). The only thing I don't have is an LPM. Any volunteers want to test it for me??:D I'll pay for shipping.;)

Helios

DTR is more than trustworthy and has more than plenty of experience with high power 445nm. I look forward to seeing the results.

Nice Build!
I like the lens...looks fantastic :bowdown:
Last week i also looked at the ThorLabs website, they have alot of nice stuff but unfortunately for alot of nice money :D

Btw.: I'm also looking forward to seeing the results of an LPM test ;) (and of course your next build!)

Last edited:
It looks great, man, thanks for sharing!

If you can, could you post a scan of spec sheet of the lens you sent to me along with the thread tap? Could answer a lot of questions about the lens around here.

I have to say that Jubathoph is a great man to deal with, he went and bought the special thread tap and sent it right to me, and then he even told me to keep the thread tap in case he wanted to get more heatsinks for this type of lens in the future!

Oh also, what's the beam diameter at the aperture, that is, right after the lens?