Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

1mW Hand-Held HeNe

Another nice piece of laser history to own!

I remember the 1 mW HeNe kits from the day, that were about as large, but without space for internal batteries - they'd run off and external power supply.

How much current does it draw from those batteries? Despite the bulk of the thing, i doubt they'd last very long ;)

Dave you are the connoisseur of coherent light! Nice pointers and :kewlpics:

Many years ago I built up a laser "pointer" with a 5mw hene inside. It sat somewhere inbetween dave's 1mw 8aa battery unit, and the mains unit. This unit I made myself, had a PVC pipe with a press button, and had a 12v alarm battery for the power supply that you hung over your shoulder.

The tube was a Siemens tube in a metal bracket that was just the right size to slide into the tube, while keeping the laser beam centered. The power supply came from Oatleys electronics, and had a custom made transformer, and a cockroft walton multiplier made up of heaps of hv diodes and a pile of blue HV disc capacitors. Those caps would stay charged for a while and give you quite a zing if you werent careful. You of course were the labour, and had to put it together. The pcb was a nice slide fit into the tube as well. Foam rubber and double sided tape kept it in position but made for easy maintenance. The connection to the hene tube ends was facilitated by using PCB mount fuse clips with the solder tabs snipped off.

It was the coolest toy for a while until those nice red pointers came out that could hang off your keychain, pumped out 5mw, and ran on a few watch batteries.

Mind you my hene would outlast all of them, the little keychains would run for what 30 minutes? my hene's battery protector would shut off the laser at around 5 hours from full charge. (SLA batteries dont like being deep discharged, and the protector would turn off the load at 11v.)

Did I mention I built this thing at age 12? Showed my folks I was sensible around lasers, as saftey glasses werent easily come by. So at around 15 years of age, mum let me borrow the credit card (which I paid off over time) to buy the Oatley electronics NEC GLG3030 argon. :)

Last edited:
Someone should open up a laser museum. Smoking Allowed!

Not that I smoke, but you want to see the beams. :-)

Many years ago I built up a laser "pointer" with a 5mw hene inside. It sat somewhere inbetween dave's 1mw 8aa battery unit, and the mains unit. This unit I made myself, had a PVC pipe with a press button, and had a 12v alarm battery for the power supply that you hung over your shoulder.

The tube was a Siemens tube in a metal bracket that was just the right size to slide into the tube, while keeping the laser beam centered. The power supply came from Oatleys electronics, and had a custom made transformer, and a cockroft walton multiplier made up of heaps of hv diodes and a pile of blue HV disc capacitors. Those caps would stay charged for a while and give you quite a zing if you werent careful. You of course were the labour, and had to put it together. The pcb was a nice slide fit into the tube as well. Foam rubber and double sided tape kept it in position but made for easy maintenance. The connection to the hene tube ends was facilitated by using PCB mount fuse clips with the solder tabs snipped off.

It was the coolest toy for a while until those nice red pointers came out that could hang off your keychain, pumped out 5mw, and ran on a few watch batteries.

Mind you my hene would outlast all of them, the little keychains would run for what 30 minutes? my hene's battery protector would shut off the laser at around 5 hours from full charge. (SLA batteries dont like being deep discharged, and the protector would turn off the load at 11v.)

Did I mention I built this thing at age 12? Showed my folks I was sensible around lasers, as saftey glasses werent easily come by. So at around 15 years of age, mum let me borrow the credit card (which I paid off over time) to buy the Oatley electronics NEC GLG3030 argon. :)

I built one into an electric squirt machine gun
I had this tiny flyback from a tv set that I bifilar wound a primary on it
I drove it with a bistable multivibrator with two to-220 2n3055's

2 nice diodes, 2 nice caps, a series resistor and it was lasing :)

I cant remember what model that tube was, it was real small!
This laser got robbed from me which I have posted about.

That MWK laser is a company that was or is still? in CA, they had lots of laser stuff, I bought an Omnichrome 150 and Lasermax card from them

OH! I forgot to ask!
How long ago and who did you buy that 3030 from?

Ok I gotta ask. What is the benefit of these gas lasers, low power, Huge Large power consumption.

It is possibly a "Because I can" sort of thing?

Ok I gotta ask. What is the benefit of these gas lasers, low power, Huge Large power consumption.

It is possibly a "Because I can" sort of thing?

It's like any laser owned by a hobbyist . . . .

If you've got to ask "What good are they?", you will not understand anyway ;)

Stick around awhile and learn :)

Not everything in life has to have a "functional" purpose :tinfoil:

Peace,
dave

Peace,
dave

It's like any laser owned by a hobbyist . . . .

If you've got to ask "What good are they?", you will not understand anyway ;)

Stick around awhile and learn :)

Not everything in life has to have a "functional" purpose :tinfoil:

Peace,
dave

Peace,
dave
Double Peace to you too Dave!

Back