Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x BR DIODES

Pianoman ---

We see your type of pain so often here but it adds no knowledge to the science of this forum. As is often said, "get a job" then you will afford a nice laser to experiment with.

HMike

daguin

OUCH!

He just finished building his first 12X.

I'm sure his wallet needs to re-charge ;)

Peace,
dave

Dave and Pianoman ---
Sorry if he is a builder. We need more hands on people here.

HMike

Ouchie Mike! What did I do to deserve that? Like Dave said, I recently spent a lot of money on my first 12x, and I was just letting others know about a great deal that I found/confirmed even though I couldn't take advantage of it myself. I don't see how that isn't contributing... I could have saved a few people some money. Plus, you shouldn't just throw around "get a job" when you don't know about my life...

-Jakob

daguin

Ouchie Mike! What did I do to deserve that? Like Dave said, I recently spent a lot of money on my first 12x, and I was just letting others know about a great deal that I found/confirmed even though I couldn't take advantage of it myself. I don't see how that isn't contributing... I could have saved a few people some money. Plus, you shouldn't just throw around "get a job" when you don't know about my life...

-Jakob

He was mistaken and he has already apologized.

This defensive "reply" was as uncalled for as his statement was.

Step back and breathe through your nose for awhile.

Peace,
dave

I'm sorry... kinda' tired and didn't see his apology. I didn't mean for the reply to be offensive or anything. I'll drop this so this thread isn't jacked anymore... Now back to the good stuff... 12x's :D

-Jakob

Exerd

My Laserbee I arrived today. :san:

12x 405nm #1 results:

Diode Source: BDR-205BKS
Driver: V5 Flex
Current: 400mA
Host: Jayrob's Slim 18650
Lens: 405-G-1
Total burn time as of 02/07/10: ~5 minutes
Output Peak: 487mW
Output Avg: 483mW
Power source: AW 2600mAH protected 18650

nwcyn8.jpg

Last edited:

cmak

you guys think this would do alright in JayRob's Micro Chrome Kit?

I'm about to make one and I'm considering an upgrade from 6X (my original plan) to... well.. this monstrosity.

cmak

Exerd

I'm about to make one and I'm considering an upgrade from 6X (my original plan) to... well.. this monstrosity.

cmak

That host is much too small for a 12x. If you ran any decent amount of amperage through it, the duty cycle would have to be very short to keep it from overheating. You'd be better off putting a 6x in that host and running a low current if you want something that small--especially with the battery size it uses.

I just grabbed one of Jayrob's 'Pocket Minis' with a copper sink option for another 12x build, but that's got a much larger heatsink and uses a CR123/16340. I will only run that mini at 365mA, due to the smaller sink size as compared to something like the Slim 18650, for example. I'd recommend getting that host if you want a small 12x build.

Last edited:

jayrob

cmak

Igor did some testing for heatsinking on my Key Chain CR2 host, and found it to be plenty for an 8X, which is similar to a 12X.

So I would say that based on his findings, the Micro chrome host could be ok as well. It is a thick brass host for it's size. And if assembled properly, the pill threads the module with sleeve tight into the head, pressing it against the host.

So in effect, the entire host, with module and aluminum pill, becomes the heatsink. And it will work well for normal use. (like a 1 minute duty)

The 10440 battery should be fine, because I'm sure the current draw will only be about 600 or 700mA's. But as Exerd mentioned, the other hosts with larger heatsinks are better suited...

daguin

cmak

You will just be reducing your time between re-charges.

Peace,
dave

cmak

thanks for the valuable insights, guys! I will continue with my initial plan of 6X and then later on I will either upgrade it to an underpowered 8X/12X (probably around 400mW after Glass Lens) or I'll just make another one in a bigger, better-heatsinked. Oh and JTC, when I say "make", I don't mean I'm the one that's actually doing the assembly. I can't solder or anything so I'm probably gonna end up having Daguin take care of most of my assembly needs (if you'd like me to edit your name out, just let me know... I don't want to get you in trouble with the FDA or anything). Once again thanks for the helpful insights!

peace
-cmak

Hello all,

Thanks to all of you for the information gathered on these diodes.

Today I decided to plot my diode from the BDR-205BK.

I hope I did this correct. I had a bench top digital power supply, Volt meter at the diode and amp meter between the flex drive and + side of diode. Driver is V5 Flex and jayrob glass lens. Power output was measured with my Coherent LaserCheck

The plot is in the attachment.

I have not decided where I will end up setting the current yet.
I did notice that the diode seemed to stop climbing at the 600mw output:can:

My build will be MXDL 4171, 18650 3.7 volt Battery and custom machined aluminum heat sink.

Attachments

• 12X 405nm Bluray diode plot.doc
    20 KB · Views: 462

daguin

With a boost driver, you cannot hook it between the power supply and the driver. It must be hooked between the driver and the diode. Your values for the column for the supply side will vary.

Besides that, nice job :)

Peace,
dave

From your attachment:

Supply Volt | Supply Amp | Diode Fwd Volt | Diode Milliamp | Power Output

3.7 | 610ma | 5.86 | 326 | 375mw
3.7 | 650ma | 5.91 | 351 | 415mw
3.7 | 710ma | 5.97 | 373 | 425mw
3.7 | 810ma | 6.06 | 403 | 507mw
3.7 | 940ma | 6.09 | 450 | 559mw
3.7 | 1.04 amp | 6.25 | 490 | 604mw
3.7 | 1.19 amp | 6.22 | 502 | 605mw

Last edited:
Dave,

Yes, this is how I had it hooked up.
Sorry if I was not clear about that in my post.

Doug