Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12000K HID's

What's wrong with purple? It's a great color, even for headlights, but at the expense of safety, which is never good.

one word: RICE

That is something you would expect on a slammed civic hatchback with a shit body kit and a 16 year old driver.

Being that his car came with HID's I would assume it is much nicer than what I just described.

it will hurt his eyes as well as other drivers with a huge loss of light.

To the OP if you want something more exotic than 4300K (white) go 6000K still very bright with quite a blue tint to them.

Do what you think looks good and F every bodyelse. Geez get off his back. he is planning a headlight retrofit not pointing a laser at a plane.

michael.

Purple headlights screams " NOT DOT approved, please pull me over!"

Not to mention a standard halogen bulb would give you more visibility.

Tonga

I hate them all regardless. They're unneccessary and 9/10 of them blind other drivers. If you can't see the road with regular head lights then you really shouldn't be driving at night time.

I totally agree on the blinding here. There is a lot of glare that floods your vision even when trying to avoid looking at them.:)!

Razako

IDK I see cars with the purplish HID's all the time here and they never get pulled over. It's normally only annoying when it's a fartcan civic without proper headlight housings.

HIMNL9

Check your local laws, before ..... here in Italy some cops had funny days stopping and giving tickets to any car that had "blue tinted" HID lamps, times ago, and they won all the recourses cause the judge (collused with cops :p) stated that the light was "illegal cause the law say white or yellow color only" for frontal lights :p (as 6000K "cold" white was not white ..... speaking about judges honesty :p)

Anyway, "purplish white" for me is only sight disturbing, not improving (i mean, my vision go worse with them)

Razako

Honestly if I end up not liking them I'll just buy some 6000K or 8000K for like 20 bucks and take like 30 minutes to swap them in. Not really a big deal. This is just an experiment.

Btw the car in question is absolutely not 'Ricey'.
YouTube - Mark 8 exhaust setup
WY603551.jpg

hey, if you can get HID's for 20 bucks buy a set of each, and send me the link please :)

I think those cars had HIDs from the factory. My dad had a Mark 8 before. They didn't have projector lamps but the housings were designed for HIDs. I've heard that you should use the same brand bulbs that came with the car though.

if they are 9006, might I recommend looking into some modded 9012 bulbs? Same power input, more light output, same filament, so same optical properties.

I've got HIDs in my Corolla. They are Philips 85122 D2S, driven by brand new 35W Hella 3rd generation ballast, supplied with a nice low-resistance connection to the battery. These are the best parts I could find, but they still are crap if they are in a halogen reflector, so I also gutted some projectors from an Infiniti FX35. After some work, my corolla has the best lighting of any corolla around. Sure, the rear bumper has a huge dent in the corner and the front bumper has a hole in it and there are dings and dents everywhere, but I can see all those stupid idiots who insist on walking around at night wearing baggy clothes. I have half a mind to buy some cheap flashlights and throw one at them as hard as I can whenever I see them.

getting HID lights here in BC in a car without them is illegal as far as the cops are concerned. too many issues with people being temporally blinded from people leaving their high beams on.

Also, any light over 6500K is going to have reflection issues in fog.

getting HID lights here in BC in a car without them is illegal as far as the cops are concerned. too many issues with people being temporally blinded from people leaving their high beams on.

Also, any light over 6500K is going to have reflection issues in fog.

I believe that light is reflected up to the driver's eyes based on the angle that it is hitting water droplets, not so much color.

I can't say I have any experience with headlights with a CCT higher than 5000k, though.

I just figure if all these trucks, hatchbacks, civics, etc, get HID kits in hot pink or lime green, that my corolla with OEM projectors aimed with care, etc, etc, should be relatively "under the radar." Only problem is that they are still technically illegal, even if I had my headlights isoplotted and personally green-lighted by Dan Stern.

Seems like the higher Ks - above 6500 are more easily reflected by fog. Candle power forums had a very excellent demo featuring HIDs at different Kelvin ratings. The results were pretty clear. 3000-5000K low enough on the spectrum to punch through fog, but the bluer the light the more back scatter/ reflection off of fog a physically less lumen output.
6400K is basically (industry standards) relatively pure white light.

Tonga

Seems like the higher Ks - above 6500 are more easily reflected by fog. Candle power forums had a very excellent demo featuring HIDs at different Kelvin ratings. The results were pretty clear. 3000-5000K low enough on the spectrum to punch through fog, but the bluer the light the more back scatter/ reflection off of fog a physically less lumen output.
6400K is basically (industry standards) relatively pure white light.

Thanks for the info!

Here is what happens:

Its the same reason why the sky is blue. Short wavelengths of visible light are 10 times more likely to be "scattered" in air than long red wavelengths. So naturally, the coolers your color temperature is, the more useless your lights are in the fog, and heavy rain and snow. If you have dedicated fog lamps on your car, keep them as yellow as possible as such light can better penetrate the fog, keeping you a safer driver.

"Cooler" color temperatures suck for other drivers on the road though, high beams and low beams- even with a projector housing. These shorter wavelengths, the blue and violet hues absolutely Destroy a person's night vision. While such a light is within their viewing range at all, they can lose as much as 95% of the image around that point source of light- ie other cars, pedestrians, and road signs. The eye has to make a sudden "adjustment" of the iris to block all of the bright blue, leaving the driver without comfort. Its not painful, but very surprising to feel your own iris having to adjust so quickly.

What's worse, is that while human vision peaks in the green during the day, it is more of a blue peak at night. So people definitely see blue as the brightest color at night. You might say that "Hey Meatball! You meat head! People only see in black and white in the dark!"

I tell you, you are correct. However, if one of your only available sources of light happens to be blue, you will see it with lots of intensity. Of all of our rods and cones within our eyes, we actually have sensors that are dedicated to the color blue. And for some reason at night, our blue receptors do an excellent job at... receiving.

So Razko, while it is neat to have so much visibility at night, just make sure to have your headlights properly aimed by a technician, and just remember to double check your brights before heading out on the road. Otherwise, enjoy the view!