Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100W laser pointer-

You might be able to get it to squeeze down to 1/16 with your array close to your work piece but you wouldn't be able to hold that dia. for any real depth and that's a maybe 1/16

The whole thing with cooler on a moving head would be bulky, but as a stationary using an F-theta and directing via big mirror maybe, drake burned about a 2.5mm hole in a metal paint can lid so for crude etching maybe.

1594582959050.png

Why not a yag or fiber laser....cost ?

Last edited:

Yep, for burning, get one of those 900+ nm fiber lasers, you can focus that down to a single spot. I have one I've played around with some, but burning isn't my interest, I like the visible brilliance.

You might be able to get it to squeeze down to 1/16 with your array close to your work piece but you wouldn't be able to hold that dia. for any real depth and that's a maybe 1/16

Why not a yag or fiber laser....cost ?
I want to develop a cutter for Home use that is less than 500 to manufacture. I seen a few hobby platforms that are great for craft work but won't cut metals. Perhaps if we can design the head and power supply, the cnc part is already done save some retrofitting

Snecho

I want to develop a cutter for Home use that is less than 500 to manufacture. I seen a few hobby platforms that are great for craft work but won't cut metals. Perhaps if we can design the head and power supply, the cnc part is already done save some retrofitting
I guess I was privileged to have access to a Rabbit Laser 60W-80W Co2 Commercial laser cutter and engraver for as long as I have :p

I bought one of the 80W Osram arrays and pushing it to 3.0A focused through a pretty good but no doubt not perfect lens I can make a red hot spot on this steel soup can but it can't quite cut ( I know it's thicker than the can lid Drake blew through ) now if I added a jet of compressed air I bet it would blow the molten metal through but this is still a much wider spot than is optimal, maybe with a different lens such as a small f-theta or a meniscus and much shorter focal length but this would be for thin material, I can't see it ever competing with CO2.

SANY5311.JPGSANY5352.JPG

Last edited:
How about a jet of oxygen? Or Brown's Gas? This isn't for precision work. My intention is to give the metal a rustic look like a plasma cutter or small torch was used. I'm just making the pierced tin lamp shades. If I can cut 18 guage or 1/8th that would be great too.

WELL...I AM NOT IMPRESSED !!!

Unless this unit involves a Quantum Gravity Theory of Pixelated Space-Time....Yea Big Deal.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! Just Kidding Trinh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a build !!!! Epic !!! Beautiful !!! Most Impressive !!! Great miniaturization !!! NOW...we want 300W HMMMMMmmmmm !!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA !!! Thanx for pushing the envelope !!!!!!!!!! CDBeam

How about a jet of oxygen? Or Brown's Gas? This isn't for precision work. My intention is to give the metal a rustic look like a plasma cutter or small torch was used. I'm just making the pierced tin lamp shades. If I can cut 18 guage or 1/8th that would be great too.

The feed rate might be slow but with the N1ch1a array plus a jet of air/oxygen and the right lens I think the less precise torch cut look could be possible for 18 gauge, the jet of oxygen could be interesting if you think about how a thermic lance works, probably want to delay the start of the oxygen flow until the spot on your work piece is cherry red then let the oxygen flow to create a reaction......if compressed air you could pulse the air so you heat-clear....heat-clear to make the cut, now browns gas would be like torch cutting really as you have oxygen and hydrogen freed from water at the nozzle which begs the question why not just torch cut in the 1st place and you also may be getting outside of your 500.00 target if using browns gas ??? ......but maybe just a little compressed air in a tight jet to clear the cut, maybe heat-clear...heat-clear via. pulsed air, you will have to try and see, I think the tighter the air jet the less heat will be wasted.....more of a highly directed air burst than a jet really and if you can make it work then all your unit would need to operate that way is electricity which would be good. GL :)

Last edited:
I'd love to buy one of these from you, but I'm worried that if I had a girlfriend she would steal it and then I'd never hear from her again since she would no longer have any use for me.
IMG_20200702_152520.jpg

The feed rate might be slow but with the N1ch1a array plus a jet of air/oxygen and the right lens I think the less precise torch cut look could be possible for 18 gauge, the jet of oxygen could be interesting if you think about how a thermic lance works, probably want to delay the start of the oxygen flow until the spot on your work piece is cherry red then let the oxygen flow to create a reaction......if compressed air you could pulse the air so you heat-clear....heat-clear to make the cut, now browns gas would be like torch cutting really as you have oxygen and hydrogen freed from water at the nozzle which begs the question why not just torch cut in the 1st place and you also may be getting outside of your 500.00 target if using browns gas ??? ......but maybe just a little compressed air in a tight jet to clear the cut, maybe heat-clear...heat-clear via. pulsed air, you will have to try and see, I think the tighter the air jet the less heat will be wasted.....more of a highly directed air burst than a jet really and if you can make it work then all your unit would need to operate that way is electricity which would be good. GL :)
So basically I could have a laser assisted plasma cutter CNC. Now I need someone to build a prototype

You could start with an array, driver, heat sink and a small fan add a bit of compressed air and see it the concept bears out in basic testing before having something built at a higher cost...........maybe someone with a 91/94 can do some testing with compressed air/oxygen and save you some expense unless results are good, also how close will your lens need to be that it can also survive well.

wow wow wow and YIKES too..
either you have tiny tiny hands or that is a monster.. It does not surtprise me-- you have always--done 'the impossible'

LOL
remember when a guy pulled a knife on CroC Dundee!!??

IF it had been lasers--

you get it

'You call THAT A laser?'

THIS IS A LASER!!!

+rep when sys allows.
5 stars--NO make that 10 stars!

WOW X10!!

OKay everybody SHOULD click 'like' on the OP-- we need to set a record number of 'likes'.

No doubt that this a world record

and NOT an EDC

BUT----will it pop baloons and light matches??? J?K

In Texas we like everything to be BIG

but this HH is SICK!

I am very impressed!!

Prolly nothing that you can do to TOP it!!

but I bet you will still try!!

best
hak

Last edited: