Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1000mw vs 500mw - what's the difference

I that a good website is Nlaserpointersafety.com
Read it learn it. You only get one set of eyes.

^^^ all new members need to spend a lot reading at this site.

we do NOT want to ever see your name or face there--
read what was said by those arrested after court like " this was the most stupid thing I have ever done''

BTW
500mW laser is NOT one half as powerful as 1W-- the factor is 4 not 2-- to double 'power or perceived brightness' from 1W it takes 4W not 2W.

I must ask you this-- any reason for buying THEN joining LPF and asking for advice??
Surely you know that many sellers of anything are not honest with the specs?

especialy those NOT located in your 'Area'
are you going to finish your profile??

info there is required if you really want good help..

going now to read your 'intro' that you placed in our WELCOME section..(I hope)

hak:D

'

Last edited:

Radim

Welcome to the forums,
as said above. Go for reputable sellers and make sure of safe use even of your laser. Except this there is also theoretic possibility of IR leakage from your laser if not properly filtered. Under normal use (even with glasses on) this should not be problem untill you do not operate it at close range to eyes (even for reflection). IR is invisible and is result from 532 nm generation process in DPSS laser you likely have. Since IR (808 and maybe a bit of 1064 nm) is at least in case of 808 likely not focused when exiting unfiltered aperture, it is supposed not to be dangerous in relatively close distances. Still there must be considered much higher power of pumping diode 808 nm than actual output is (for safety).

Last edited:

jacaseyusa

LaserPointerPro is a company the blatantly misrepresents the products they sell and charges several times what they are worth in the real world marketplace to unsuspecting people that don't know any better by means of a slick web site.

Output wise you are lucky if a laser 301 outputs 100mW more commonly 50mW to 80mW.

LaserpointerliarPro just adds zeros to the spec ---no way on earth it is either 1000mW or 500mW.

You should have check in here at LPF before buying and everyone would have told you about the misrepresentations and outright fraudulent representations of Laserpointerpro

Please make a Welcome post in the Welcome sub-forum with something about yourself and indicate your location on the planet if you expect good response
I am stupid. I bought a 10,000 mw laser pointer from Laserpointerpro and it is hardly any brighter than a small one that claims <5mw on the label. It comes in a heavy space age looking tube with attachments that are worthless and a shiny metal case with glasses. It was $100. Sanwu has a blue laser at 1.6 watts that sells for about $100. Are they a reliable company? Where can I buy a laser in the us?

how can one tell what the mw is on a laser? Is there a way to test?

I always love this question. :).

Let me give you a comparison, what the temperature of water coming out of the tap or temperature outside?
You need a thermometer to know. You can guess, but you'll probably be wrong. With enough experience you probably estimate within a certain percentage, but its not very accurate.

You need an LPM to know for sure.

I just ordered a used, metered 500 mw dpss lab laser - it has a TEC and fan, in addition to being powered from the wall.. Once you've seen a 1w or higher green they can scare you just being in the same room. Even a 100-200mw can light up a room easily.

and to jacaseyusa, Sanwu is a fairly reputable company. Many members have bought from them and usually their power ratings are not way off.

(Sorry for necro post add-on - didn't check date on post before jacaseyusa (just saw Hakzaws comment in post)

Last edited:
I am stupid. I bought a 10,000 mw laser pointer from Laserpointerpro and it is hardly any brighter than a small one that claims <5mw on the label. It comes in a heavy space age looking tube with attachments that are worthless and a shiny metal case with glasses. It was $100. Sanwu has a blue laser at 1.6 watts that sells for about $100. Are they a reliable company? Where can I buy a laser in the us?

LAST post was 8/2018---check dates of more than only the last post'--plz meet us half-way.
finish yr profile including a general location.. (& NOT usa)==if you had looked for a good laser before going off and wasting your money.....

well you know'

The intro is NOT a required Thread ....BUT most who make a good intro get help easier. more friendly.. try it.. & put that location in your intro's title.
My intro was WAY late--someone wrote to me just like we are trying now. My intro title IIRC was very late--
'new member from Houston' ,...
got a bunch of great welcomes. Right away I had Texas members as friends..
OK SANWU and JETLASERS are basically the only choices unless you have a need to SPEND a lot.
^^^^ 'they' never lie. More Sanwus and JLs are owned by more members here that any others.

You need to do homework OK?
ps another good place to shop is with vet members here. they are fair- they take very good care of their lasers and would NEVER lie about output.
(If they are new --they are NOT vets..ok?)

good luck
hak