Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

10 Mile Distance Laser

Encap

12x30mm Aixiz Laser Mount and Lab Holder | eBay

I just bought one of these for mounting to a tripod, so I almost have everything I need now. Should be able to finish this project before next month ends

Are you thinking to using the Axiz module holder to hold the ebay laser?

All Axiz laser mounts are designed to fit their 12mm laser modules See: http://www.aixiz.com/store/index.php/cPath/70/osCsid/4dbc6f4fbfc354dc71be471783ed19c8

The Ebay laser is 21mm diameter and will not fit in the tube----you may have to find someone to make you a custom tube top piece that will allow a 21mm tube + the based is disigned to be screwed or bolted to a flat surface not mounted on a tripod.

MAybe have a look at this: Clamp Mount & Tripod

Last edited:

Are you thinking to using the Axiz module holder to hold the ebay laser?

All Axiz laser mounts are designed to fit their 12mm laser modules See: http://www.aixiz.com/store/index.php/cPath/70/osCsid/4dbc6f4fbfc354dc71be471783ed19c8

The Ebay laser is 21mm diameter and will not fit in the tube----you may have to find someone to make you a custom tube top piece that will allow a 21mm tube + the based is disigned to be screwed or bolted to a flat surface not mounted on a tripod.

MAybe have a look at this: Clamp Mount & Tripod

Thanks for pointing that out, was rushing earlier and mixed up the units 21mm < 30mm

They haven't shipped it out yet so I paid extra and replaced my entire order for the 650nm 200mW diode driver and module kit, instead of going through the trouble of a refund

:crackup:

So I'll have 2 lasers, the 532nm and the 650nm

Encap

Thanks for pointing that out, was rushing earlier and mixed up the units 21mm < 30mm

They haven't shipped it out yet so I paid extra and replaced my entire order for the 650nm 200mW diode driver and module kit, instead of going through the trouble of a refund

So I'll have 2 lasers, the 532nm and the 650nm

If it is this one http://www.aixiz.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/84/osCsid/4dbc6f4fbfc354dc71be471783ed19c8 you are going to need a heatsink for the bare 12mm X 30mm Axiz module if you want to run it more than a few seconds just to test that it works. Those modues are meant to be installed in a good heatsink. The 12mm X 30mm module will overheat and burn out very quickly without a proper heatsink---Suggest you call Axiz and ask how long it can run, the runtime, you can expect without damage in whatever way you intened to set it up for use. Here is one mounted in a heatsink: http://www.aixiz.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/59/products_id/455/osCsid/c2d8dafd1f5eaab5671f0e8ee4d64784

Have a look at DTRs shop. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/

Last edited:
If it is this one http://www.aixiz.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/84/osCsid/4dbc6f4fbfc354dc71be471783ed19c8 you are going to need a heatsink for the bare 12mm X 30mm Axiz module if you want to run it more than a few seconds just to test that it works. Those modues are meant to be installed in a good heatsink. The 12mm X 30mm module will overheat and burn out very quickly without a proper heatsink---Suggest you call Axiz and ask how long it can run, the runtime, you can expect without damage in whatever way you intened to set it up for use. Here is one mounted in a heatsink: http://www.aixiz.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/59/products_id/455/osCsid/c2d8dafd1f5eaab5671f0e8ee4d64784

Have a look at DTRs shop. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/

I almost got the S4 host with copper heatsink on survival lasers for it butI sent a message to jayrob earlier and he sent me DTRs shop page (after I already paid for the aixiz kit)

Now I'm going with this

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/3-8mm-650nm-300mw-diode

So i have to be an asshole and call Aixiz asking for a full refund before they ship out their kit... :undecided:

Last edited:

Encap

I almost got the S4 host with copper heatsink on survival lasers for it butI sent a message to jayrob earlier and he sent me DTRs shop page (after I already paid for the aixiz kit)

Now I'm going with this

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/3-8mm-650nm-300mw-diode

So i have to be an asshole and call Aixiz asking for a full refund before they ship out their kit... :undecided:

Don't worry about canceling the Axiz order--learning curve , learning curve.
There is no way you were going to fit that huge driver in the Axiz kit into any handheld host amyway, so....

THe 300mW 650nm single mode is a good choice---low divergence. To be able to use it still are going to need a driver for it set to the correct mAh output and still are going to need a heatsink lab type or heatsink and host for handheld type to put the module and driver into.

Maybe ask DTR about a proper driver for it and ask jayrob to set you up with the host, heatsink amd rest of the parts needed. The other good choice is a Survival Lasers host kit also.

Last edited:
Hello, I am new to lasers

I've read around the forums that the divergence of the beam is more important than the actual output power for long distances, and that I may need a beam expander

So, before I spend the money I would like to ask you guys for your best recommendation for a laser setup that can travel over a 7 mile distant lake on a cold night
around ~0 Celsius

A helper will be standing on the opposite side of the shore to catch it with something like a piece of cardboard attached to a tripod to be able to measure the height from water level

I don't mind the color and it doesnt need to be able to be visible past 10 miles.

I also need a fixture that I would be able to attach to a camera tripod, because we want to test the laser at several different fixed heights

Is this possible for up to $200-300 (USA)?

Thank you
With low beam divergence, a beam can be seen for great distances
laser contact to france

Last edited:
I wonder how well a high power laser line might work if someone were on the other end of the path and watching for a peak in level when sweeping up and down? One question I've had for awhile, still unanswered, is how divergence applies to a laser line, anyone know? Is its divergence as far as the line getting thicker the same? Does it diverge the same amount as a spot would? If so, how can I reduce its divergence to keep the line as thin as possible for as far as possible?

Expanding the beam reduces the divergence of both axises at the same rate as it does for a beam that starts out circular.

There's a fast and slow axis in the diode. A beam expander of X power will reduce the expansion of both the slow and fast axis at the X rate. The greater the expander's expanding power is the less the beam expands over distance. It's that simple.

Thanks Steve, I might not understand you because I was looking for the answer in a different angle, I think. I was wondering if you start out with a 1.5 mRad 532nm laser beam, as an example, and shot the beam through a cylinder to produce a line what the divergence of the line is, in the opposite plane of its long width. Hope I am being clear enough. The line itself probably expands its thickness over distance too, right? I have not been able to find how to determine the single polarity divergence of a laser beam line produced by a cylinder lens.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks Steve, I might not understand you because I was looking for the answer in a different angle, I think. I was wondering if you start out with a 1.5 mRad 532nm laser beam, as an example, and shot the beam through a cylinder to produce a line what the divergence of the line is, in the opposite plane of its long width. Hope I am being clear enough. The line itself probably expands its thickness over distance too, right? I have not been able to find how to determine the single polarity divergence of a laser beam line produced by a cylinder lens.

Thank you for your help.

It will be different than the 1.5 mrd divergence. What the divergent rate will be depends upon the focal length of the cylindrical lens. The only practical way to find out is to actually measure the line at known distances.

I was hoping to see that expanding the lens into a line would act like a beam expander and reduce the lateral divergence by the amount of spread, that would have been nice!

A line laser won't be collimated along the fast (line) axis. Else it wouldn't be a line at all...

wow long ass thread for something that IMO is not that complex.
perhaps some 'overthinking'

I just 'discovered' this amazing website called 'google search' I typed in 'how far can a human see a candle; and BING! I yelled Yahoo! as it got me more than 100 million 'hits'
and it sez we can see a candle under IDEA circumtances 48 M (30miles) away.

so a 3$ green pointer may work for you. why start at mo $$$??

here is what I would do --place a green laser on a level so the beam is perfectly 'flat' on BOTH sides of the WATER. Set at the same distance above the water.
As you lower both beams the same the 'bulge' in the water should block the beams.

you will need targets big enough to show the entire beam-measure and find the centers.

move both then measure and you have an answer..

although very hard for us humans to see a 405 does have a super small dot.
and on 'dayglo' paper it shows up VERY ---on GITD paper it shows even better.

JL Gray is a member here 'JETLASERS'.

I have both JL BEs and like the newer one for Pro-Pl-Es much better.

wow long ass thread for something that IMO is not that complex.
perhaps some 'overthinking'

I just 'discovered' this amazing website called 'google search' I typed in 'how far can a human see a candle; and BING! I yelled Yahoo! as it got me more than 100 million 'hits'

so a 3$ green pointer may work for you. why start at mo $$$??

here is what I would do --place a green laser on a level so the beam is perfectly 'flat' on BOTH sides of the WATER. Set at the same distance above the water.
As you lower both beams the same the 'bulge' in the water should block the beams.

you will need targets big enough to show the entire beam-measure and find the centers.

move both then measure and you have an answer..

although very hard for us humans to see a 405 does have a super small dot.
and on 'dayglo' paper it shows up VERY ---on GITD paper it shows even better.

JL Gray is a member here 'JETLASERS'.

I have both JL BEs and like the newer one for Pro-Pl-Es much better.

already bought a 532nm and a 300mw 650nm module (getting x-drive v7 from flaminpyro when they are in stock), aiming to do this next week or so with the 532nm starting w/ a 2 mi strait first

If you run into temperature problems with
532nm, room temperature ice packs should
allow it to run for a while. The weight
will also help stabilize the tripod.

Getting any meaningful data will be a big
challenge. Air turbulence will act like a
lens. It will move the dot around the same
way stars twinkle.

A lake that big is going to have waves.
Waves will probably make it nearly
impossible to get any real data from the
2mi test, before the proverbial "horses"
can get out of the Gate. Don't you think
it would be a good idea to get the bugs
worked out over land first, preferably in a
rural area? Then once everything is Clear,
Lake should be no problem ;) Just load
everything up into your chevy Tahoe and
head out.

For an old person like me, maybe 20 miles if I don't look directly at it using our more sensitive periphery vision and the moon isn't out too strong, I suppose. I'd recommend using a LED instead of a candle, the wind can blow it out :p

Just in case nobody knows it, a candle at that distance unless it was up on a mountain would be over the horizon and not visible. Even up on a mountain and line of sight I have doubts about that distance. There would surely need to be total darkness between you and the candle and very clear weather. Even then I won't believe it until I see it.

Alan

Last edited: