Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.5w 405nm

BobW55

I have been looking at this one from Junktronics. While I have the ability to remove the diode. I do not have the ability to press it into a brass or copper sleeve. Or can it be done with some basic hand tools.
Does anyone know of a manufacture that has a 1.5mw or greater 405nm laser module? I have plenty of drivers and a massive air cooled heat sink to mount it in. I do not trust the specs given by most of the Chinese fleabay merchants. Saw one bosting 5 watts @405nm.
Looking to replace my 8 watt 455nm module in my engraver.

real 405 laser diodes with an output of 1.5W or more are not cheap.

if you want use a laser violet for engrave,i think bdr-209 diode is best,it is only 25$ now,,you can buy it from DTR or ebay

Since posting in this thread I have gotten an email from Alibaba telling me they can get me a 1+ watt 405nm diode and will get bids from as many as 400 suppliers. I am not even a little interested in this diode. I'm wondering how they came to this conclusion.

Edit: It was likely because I looked at the link for the diode.

We have no privacy online, I get adds for whatever I have been looking at all the time.

Alaskan, do not run those 405 MM diodes above 700 mA if you want a long life. I lost 1 at 1.1A, 900mA, after a couple of hours of use. I now have set yet another at 620 mA, after 510 mA was CW for months ......10- 15 minutes run time. At 620 mA =approx 1W . with a reversed g-2 lens it can be focused for great burning!

Appreciate the heads on on that, I was thinking I might PBS cube combine two, someday, probably one of my many yet to be realized projects for a long time to come.

I would like to knife edge and stack nine in a 3 x 3 or 16 in a 4 x 4 of the BDR-209 or S06J diode beams then experiment with a telescopic reducer, but that's also a project on my back burner ATM

I don't see the value in this multi mode 405 at all, for about the same money you pay for that salvaged/surplus part that you have to harvest a diode from you can get a BDR-209 in a module with a driver from DTR and the beam is much better and it appears about the same sustainable output power.

That said please enjoy working with a different diode and do post your results if you like. :)

The BDR-209 "16 X" 405 nm laser is certainly a wicked single mode diode, and will put out 700-800 mw fairly reliably, so I would have to agree it's a good choice. With the multimode, even at 1.5 watts, you won't be able to focus it down to nearly as tight a spot as the BDR-209 single mode diode and due to this, less power density or ability to burn. However, if you are just looking for a powerful beam and not wanting to burn, as well as don't mind a fat beam to keep the divergence low enough, I believe the multimode isn't such a bad choice either, although power for power more expensive.

Stacking sounds like fun :) I've been buying up a few BDR-209 diodes over time to do something like that too.

Sounds like fun to me too, I also buy stuff when I can get a deal and save it for later, there's nothing wrong with that. :)

sorry , I won't drink to that. I just finished my last bottle.........Bhurrrrp! At this time , I refuse to drive a single diode.......Bhelllllch! nuf said LOL

Mixing lasers with drinking is bad news. Maybe you prefer higher power 450 nm? Good for toasting ceiling fans, we had a child-man member destroying his house burning holes in doors etc. with one and he didn't even drink that I know of, imagine someone like that mixing the two?