Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Your first build?

I'm new to the site (don't worry, I made my introduction already lol) and I am looking to build my first laser. I'm not asking advice in this post as much as what different people built for their first project, and why.

I searched the forums and found a few threads detailing this, but I guess I'm also looking for, for lack of a better term, "difficulty rating" on some of the different builds. My overall goal is to build a high power burning laser, but I want I start off with something small to familiarize myself with this world.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

My first build was an M140 in a C6 host. This was with absolutely no soldering experience, and very little DIY electronics experience. I just watched a video about it on YouTube and did it in like 2 minutes. I'd probably say it was a 3/10 in terms of difficulty. I did practice soldering a couple times before I risked killing a $50 diode though :)

Last edited:
Go over to mohgasm.com and get a JAD kit if he still has any left. They will be your easiest options and all that is required is a couple solder joints. You can also contact Jayrob. He has a lot of hosts to select from. You can get many with the "hot option" All you would need is a diode and a couple solder joints as well.

Go over to mohgasm.com and get a JAD kit if he still has any left. They will be your easiest options and all that is required is a couple solder joints. You can also contact Jayrob. He has a lot of hosts to select from. You can get many with the "hot option" All you would need is a diode and a couple solder joints as well.

JAD kits are a thing of the past my friend. Moh said he isnt doing them any more! :(

If you want an easy to do kit your going to have to use survival laser kit now

Howdy from Fort Worth, Bodhitree!

I decided to do a first build with my daughter at my side, helping the whole way. We built a laser with a 445nm M-140, outputting 2W, with a custom made copper heatsink that is massive and sick, and we chose a host flashlight that we hadn't seen used before, so we could have a truly one of a kind build.

It's a stunning laser to behold, and after much use, it still runs hard at 2W every day.

Good luck on your first build! If you ever want a laser measured, I'm not that far from you, and will happily help you out for free. See the list in my sig if you want to see some of the other members with LPMs.

Take care

Hi!

I took the "easy" way too, for my build! Just like you I wanted to have a highpower burning laser!

My diode came from DTR (member) already assembled for use, even the driver is already included.

And I got me the Stainless Steel host Assembly from Survival Laser.

The assembling was done rather quickly, the hardest part was waiting for all the stuff from USA.

Here you can see my build: http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/9mm-445nm-blue-mysterio-burning-video-beamshots-82678.html

And here are many questions were answered: http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/many-questions-about-first-9mm-445nm-build-81755.html

Hint: If you go this way don`t forget to get an pcb contactboard as well with the host, like I did! :beer:

A very easy way to get a ~ 2.5-2.7W burning laser!

Cheers brunes01

Laik

I have not actually completed my first 'real' build. I failed my first build which was in a c6, sure i have made pens and pressed some modules into a host, but they aren't really 'proper' builds. I'm hoping my 500mW 638nm in a kryton groove will be my first successful build. It has gone well so far. I have removed the clear anodizing with oven cleaner and gave it a nice shiny finish with an old shirt and regular metal polish.