Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yet another - Wicked Lasers Arctic Spyder III laser review - [very image heavy!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raise hands who read the instructions before using the laser.

*waiting*

Thought so.

By what rules should they uphold? FDA sure not, since they are illegal after all in USA.

I'm sure new users would do so. I know I did, and turns out it made no mention of the SmartSwitch.

The FDA rules have been changed since- lasers can now comply with the much more lenient IEC rules (which only demand an emission delay and secondary interlock- the pin). It complies with that, however, the reason why it's illegal is because the accession number is not valid.

People have rung in and confirmed that the number is indeed not valid.

I'm sure new users would do so. I know I did, and turns out it made no mention of the SmartSwitch.

The FDA rules have been changed since- lasers can now comply with the much more lenient IEC rules (which only demand an emission delay and secondary interlock- the pin). It complies with that, however, the reason why it's illegal is because the accession number is not valid.

People have rung in and confirmed that the number is indeed not valid.
I didn't know that.

I have tried stopwatching the time between the last click and start of the emission.

It would appear that it is 1.5 seconds of delay, not 1 as I have previously stated wrong.

Would anybody else care to stopwatch their delay?

News.

Something weird just happened. After a week of trying I finally got a hold of nice lady who is representative for Overseas shipping company in Croatia and from who I got an mail letter saying that I need to declare the content and give soem sort of power to them so they can process my shippement which arrived via UPS.

Now, since none of packages scheduled to arrive were sent via UPS, I asked the lady if she could read the sender to me.
ENERGY TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT LTD.
SHANGAI, CHINA

I got an invoice saying "Flaslight $30 " and "Protective goggle $10".

Which is weird since that's how Wicked Lasers declares their packages. I asked the lady if perhaps "Wicked lasers" is written on the box and she gave me affirmitive answer.

I said to her that it's a mistake on their part because I am in possesion of that shippement for a week now, and it's highly improbable that Wicked sent the laser twice, and used different shipping (First one arrived with EMS).

I told her to consult with a gentleman who was in charge of the original package handling through customs and she said she will get me the package without re-paying hefty customs fees and taxes I had to do last time, assuring me that the package in question is still in their warehouse.

So basically I'm pumped up on adrenaline now.
Standby.

I didn't know that.

I have tried stopwatching the time between the last click and start of the emission.

It would appear that it is 1.5 seconds of delay, not 1 as I have previously stated wrong.

Would anybody else care to stopwatch their delay?

Yes, mine is also 1.5 seconds, or thereabouts. If I remember correctly, the requirements call for a 5 second emission delay.

I doubt someone would look down the aperture at 1.5 seconds, but at 5 seconds, maybe. But everyone who buys PGLs (with an exception of a few) know what they're doing.

Anyway, I think they organised a second Arctic for you, once they found out your first was held up. Or something along the lines of that, or so I'd assume.

Yes, mine is also 1.5 seconds, or thereabouts. If I remember correctly, the requirements call for a 5 second emission delay.

I doubt someone would look down the aperture at 1.5 seconds, but at 5 seconds, maybe. But everyone who buys PGLs (with an exception of a few) know what they're doing.

Anyway, I think they organised a second Arctic for you, once they found out your first was held up. Or something along the lines of that, or so I'd assume.
I have seen some reviews, basically a red 671nm Spartan with side Clicky has 5 second delay.
Glenn I think he was, I have apsolutely no idea how he figured out it was a 5 second delay and not a fried laser.

I mean, if laser does not fire up on the click of the button [momentary button], there is high probability that something is shorted out. With 18650 cell inside, and possible short out also inside, holding it for 5 seconds is like holding a damned grenade in your hand.

Also about the "Second" package, I would immediately dismiss the case as poor organization level of Croatian services, if it wasn't for the little fact that last one is shipped with UPS and original one with EMS.

I have no idea, still waiting for the call back from the lady.
I will call in one hour if she does not, since I'm kind of in a hurry. EDIT - Besides, they could not have known it was held up. It was one week in the customs office.

I honestly don't know why people on here are still reviewing the Arctic...
or why any member would want one?!

Take it from someone who has owned the G1 and the G2, past tense as in sold them off.

These lasers are garbage! Let's move on...shall we.

Take it from someone who has owned the G1 and the G2, past tense as in sold them off.

People are reviewing it because Wicked Lasers have given them in exchange for a review.

Besides, the unit I've got is not garbage, it's quite decent unit and idea of the laser was perfectly made real. Problem is that parts of the idea were wrong, like Strobe modes.

Honestly, I'm impressed with the unit and besides a few things that bother me (but that's a subjective thought, somebody might find them cool) it's a great laser.

Most of ours here got ours straight from Wicked Lasers as review samples.

They're making an effort to improve, which is more than can be said for your attitude.

At least they're trying. If you look on their website, you'd see some of the revisions they've made. They've even begun shipping out working safety goggles, if The_LED_Museum is correct.

Don't like it? Then don't bother posting.

Most of ours here got ours straight from Wicked Lasers as review samples.

They're making an effort to improve, which is more than can be said for your attitude.

At least they're trying. If you look on their website, you'd see some of the revisions they've made. They've even begun shipping out working safety goggles, if The_LED_Museum is correct.

Don't like it? Then don't bother posting.

Didn't know there were so many WL disciples on LPF...

My opinion comes from years of dealing with Steve's company...

Now that other companies have made better products available to the market and actually ship them. I have regretted ever giving my hard earned
dollars to WL.

Maybe you are still a little green when it comes to your dealings with this company, but give it time.;)

Now, Go give me a -Rep...while you play with your POS Arctic.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know why people on here are still reviewing the Arctic... or why any member would want one?!

Take it from someone who has owned the G1 and the G2, past tense as in sold them off. These lasers are garbage!

I am sorry to object what you think but I ♥ my S3 Actic! I've been using it regularly for over 2 months and (after some proper focusing) I've had no problems with it. It burns great, it's bright as hell & I've had about 7 or 8 people now ask me where they can get one too. The first line of arctics that were rushed out had a lot of problems & the laser got a bad rap. That was awhile ago & things are different now. My S3 kicks ass :)

bluraylaser.jpg

W4NX

Excellent review. It's nice to see WL attempting to improve their product, I remember all the crappy units they sent out initially. I wish they would have sent proper safety glasses but I ordered some fitovers from laserglow because I wear glasses.

I ordered my Arctic mid June and opted for a G1 which arrived in early August. My laser wasn't like the first G1s that made it out. It had no excess paste, was properly focused and the lens was turned around properly and lightly epoxied to maintain focus. It's been used almost every day since I got it and has worked fine.

Is the new battery they send protected?

Excellent review. It's nice to see WL attempting to improve their product, ...
Is the new battery they send protected?
Yeah, it appears that they have started caring and listening to us. Which is great. Everybody deserves a chance.

About the battery, no it is not protected. Unfortunately I have no protected cells to try out and see if they fit, at the moment. I left my laser at my friend for caretaking while I study, also for him to use it as much as he wants now that he can.
He has some protected 18650 cells, I will ask him to try to put one in and see if the tailcap threads all the way.

Didn't know there were so many WL disciples on LPF...

My opinion comes from years of dealing with Steve's company...

Now that other companies have made better products available to the market and actually ship them. I have regretted ever giving my hard earned
dollars to WL.

Maybe you are still a little green when it comes to your dealings with this company, but give it time.;)

WL disciples? I didn't know there were so many conceited, arrogant know-it-alls either.

This is a PRODUCT REVIEW thread, not a COMPANY REVIEW. Two seconds of reading, and that would have been apparant.

How about instead of assuming that he bought an Arctic, you read the review instead?

If you haven't got anything constructive to say about the review, then shut up. Go take your problems to the Comapnies forum, that's what it's there for, instead of taking a dump on someone else's review thread.

Would that be too much to ask?

It's quite alright , mister Goninan_bl00d, just ignore him. He makes it obvious he does not care about progress of the company, he only cares to find somebody to take him problems to.

In any case, I have just tried inserting the 18650 TrustFire protected cell from DX which is 2.5 mm longer than unprotected cells I have.

Tailcap was around 2 milimeters short of threading all the way.

So it's safe to say it was not meant for protected cells, and they do not fit comfortably.

ZapU

It's quite alright , mister Goninan_bl00d, just ignore him. He makes it obvious he does not care about progress of the company, he only cares to find somebody to take him problems to.

In any case, I have just tried inserting the 18650 TrustFire protected cell from DX which is 2.5 mm longer than unprotected cells I have.

Tailcap was around 2 milimeters short of threading all the way.

So it's safe to say it was not meant for protected cells, and they do not fit comfortably.

The Tenergy 2600 protected cells do not have a protruding + terminal and fit just fine if you want to use a protected cell. The Tenergy lasted 2 hrs vs 1hr 20 min on the factory Sanyo.

The Arctic shuts down between 3.5V and 3.6V, so there is no risk of depleting an unprotected cell. The lower limit is 2.5V. The main advantage is protection from overcharging (explosion risk).

I have both the G1 and G2 and both are fine lasers and would not trade them for any competively priced OEM laser.

Oh don't worry I am well supplied with 18650 cells that fit my unit.

3.5 Volts you say? Hmm ... that kind of halves the battery lifetime unnecesarily.

I will have to deplete a cell in my Arctic unit to test that out it would seem.

Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.