Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yet another guy with a 445

GBD

Hello everyone.

I am not too familiar with laser diodes, ive built a few tube lasers before, but this is a project that ive started to work on a while ago, using a c***o 445nm (the 1000mW ones) diode.

I am using an LM317 driver for this, but before I light it up for the first time, I wondered if I am doing everything correctly:

the voltage input is 4.8V, current is set to 900mA, ive been told that this is just right to run the diode (although under 1000mW), but I would greatly appreciate a second opinion as to what current/voltage to run this diode at.
also, what is the threshold current for these diodes? 250mA?

Thank you for your time. :D

Last edited:

Do not use the name "Ca$10" related to your diode. There is a legal reason for this.

Depending on "your" diode and heatsinking, you might be able to run 1.2 Amps safely but be sure the PS is stable.

HMike

GBD

Thank you for the responce,

hmm... I googled that, and it became aparent why not to say the name, edited.

one question I have though, what are typical voltage ranges for this diode to operate at?

About 4.35 volts seems safe with my data. You can go up carefully to 4.4 volts.

HMike

Do not exceed 1.6 Amps unless you want to tempt fate as I have done. 1.8 Amps has killed a couple of my diodes and I'm the diode killer -- or maybe one of them !!

Last edited:

DrSid

Can I get link about not saying the name ? My google skills were not good enough.

When I recorded some info for 130's I came up with these figures.
at 650ma drive current to the diode the adverage voltage was 4.79 volts and Po was 331mW with no lens.
for the 140 I have found at 700ma drive current to the diode the adverage voltage was 5.26 volts and adverage Po
was 475mW with no lens.

one question I have though, what are typical voltage ranges for this diode to operate at?

Last edited: