Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yet another first laser build/screwup

Lux

Hey all,

I just built my first laser and at first it was working awesome! But after a few minutes the beam became extremely dull. Now, I'm using a C6 host with this driver assy: DIY 445nm 1.25A Driver & Pill Module
and 16430 3.6V batteries; and this module/diode:
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes

I'm not sure if this happened after or before the weak beam, but it seems the host is stripped at the bottom part (where the batteries fit) and will not close all the way. Could this be reason for the loss of power?

Thanks for any help!

Tmack

As long as it has continuity, striped threads wouldn't reduce power.

I'm guessing either the diode was damaged due to heat , although it could be a multitude of things. It's hard to say from afar :(

How long did you run it at a time?

Last edited:

Lux

I ran it a few times but the max time was probably around 3 minutes. I did notice the heatsink felt a little warm though. Any ideas what could have caused this?

Now when I turn it on, I have a nice beam. It's just nowhere near 1W of power

Last edited:
I ran it a few times but the max time was probably around 3 minutes. I did notice the heatsink felt a little warm though. Any ideas what could have caused this?

In the C6 host there's no way the duty cycle is 3 minutes. I'd say you should've only run it for around 30-45 seconds at a time.

Tmack

3min is quite a long time. A warm heatsink means the driver and diode is hot.

I'm going to say it's a good chance that 3 minutes in a little c6 did it. 3 min is a much larger hosts territory. Maglite territory.
As said above, 1 min is actually on the long side. I would keep it under that next time.

Lux

Aww man I feel stupid. Can someone give me a brief how to for using a multimeter? I'm trying to test the current from the driver but I keep getting odd readings

Tmack

If you want to measure what the driver is set at, you'll need a test load. Unless you're talking about draw at the tail cap.

I like to know how the host was configured. it sounds more like the electrical contacts may have been shorted due to the batteries putting too much pressure on the driver and diode contacts.

Greetings,

Before jumping to, it's a bad diode or driver or whatever, if you haven't tried different batteries, that is the first thing to do. Most drivers when at or below minimum voltage will either flash, and go to a low power mode.
Most of the batteries people use are garbage, and you get what you pay for.

If you haven done that, get good batteries and try it.

cheers,
Moe

Lux

Thanks for all the replies!

I wanted to check what current the driver output when operating..As you can tell I'm a bit shaky on my circuitry. The batteries were new and I noticed the ones that I hadn't used had around 4.2V. Could two 4.2V batteries have killed my driver?

Hold it in your hand and time it to see how long it takes to get warm. It has to be done with a good diode,
though. A diode with low output will run hotter because less energy is leaving as photons.

Lux

Sorry for disappearing. Haven't had time to work on the laser lately.

Moe Ron, what batteries are recommended? Are the Ultrafire ones considered good?
Also, it's been on for about 5 minutes now with charged batteries (given a very weak beam) and hasn't heated up yet.

I tested the current while operating and was getting readings of about .18-.2mA. Is this indication of a failed driver?

C6 host there's no way the duty cycle is 3 minutes. I'd say you should've only run it for around 30-45 seconds at a time
Ha I can run my M140 in a S4 for minutes at 1.25A using 18650 and a buck driver. It runs at a lower power and My duty cycle is was longer. when the 18650 gets low I can run my laser almost indefinitely. It comes nowhere close to the brightness and power of two 16340's but I can run it much longer.

(where the batteries fit) and will not close all the way.
If you use protected 16340 batts the host will not close all the way.

Does your laser always start bright and then dim? If that's the case you need to better heatsink the driver, or get better batts.

can you post a pick of your raw output("dot" without lens at a few feet away) you could have a damaged diode. Check out this thread http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/super-inefficient-m140-85310.html. It happened to a laser I made. (see bottom pic) the laser works but it is nowhere near max power because not all the emitters are working. no one is quite sure of the cause but it seems to be from thermal damage. It is better that an LED diode but is far less efficient than a normal one because of the reasoning given by The Lightning Stalker.

Are the Ultrafire ones considered good
No!!! they are an accident waiting to happen. Most batts with the name (X)fire are either laptop pulls with a high internal resistance or smaller cells in bigger casings he was talking about Panasonic cells or something of similar quality.

Also, it's been on for about 5 minutes now with charged batteries (given a very weak beam) and hasn't heated up yet.
so now we know for sure You didn't LED it because it would get real hot after 5 mins

Last edited:

kaunak

Sorry for disappearing. Haven't had time to work on the laser lately.

I tested the current while operating and was getting readings of about .18-.2mA. Is this indication of a failed driver?

If that's the current the diode is getting, you either have a loose connection or the driver is bad. At .2mA the diode won't even output 1 mW of power.