Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

XBOX360 Optics?

IsaacT

So a guy at my work fixes XBOX360's and said he has like 4 of the drives. I realize these are not the PHRs and would only give me about 5mW, so I will probably use the diodes just to practice extraction and wire soldering.:undecided: But I was wondering if maybe the optics would be worth keeping. So far I have kept every optic out of every sled I have dissected :) So here is my question: what optics are in the XBOX360 optical assembly? Is anything in there a worthwhile thing to hold on to?

I tried doing a search on here but everything I could find about this drive was just info about the diode.

Also, since I am making a thread, I might as well toss in another question. That being: What kinds of projects or DIY things or even experiments can I do with the optics out of the PHR-803T sled? I have the optics from two of those, and I have had some fun playing with them, but if there are any experiments or things people do with them more often than not I would love to see a link or two. Really contemplating building a scanner/projector soon so if they can help me to gain an understanding of concepts I may need there, that would be useful info as well.

Thanks in advance:beer:,
Isaac

ped

There is nothing worth keeping im afraid. I repair xbox's and the HOP141 sleds used are remarkably unspectactular and fail often, ive replaced countless ones.

It does IIRC have a nice FS mirror coated for red right below the objective lens though.

IsaacT

Well then I will check that out. Im getting them for free so no reason to not utilize whatever I can in them.

Are they even PHR-803Ts? I thought those HD-DVD drives were a separate attachment, and that the XBox360 itself only has a DVD-ROM drive?

Optics-wise, you can rip out the cube and use the mirrors/dichros, or rig up something like a white-fusion, but you's need all the adjustment apparatuses.

yeah i wouldnt use them, i hear ppl say that if u do the beam will scratch ur wall.

not even a PHR beam would scratch a wall, you could do it with the sled itself though :p

IsaacT

Badger, you are right it is not the PHR which was why I dissmissed the usability of the diode, instead focusing on the possibilities inherent in the optical parts within.