Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X4 LPM mod?

Wmacky

Just received my X4, and it seems to work really well. One concern is where the TEC wiring exits out the rear of the heat sink. The exit hole seem pretty small, and I'm not sure just how sharp the edges are? I worry that over time movement of the sensor will eventually cause the wire inlsulation to fray ,causnig a short. Anyone see any issue with a small dap of hotmelt plastic at the exit hole to prevent wire movement / chaffing. Would a 3 watt laser remelt that glue?

ARG

I wouldn't worry about it. The edges are not that sharp.

I tried it out myself with the same heat sink and a similar wire to that used in the X4. Even with an unrealistic excessive amount of force trying to break the insulation I wasn't able to, I was only able to remove some of it.

FfjHDxC.jpg

Unless you're super hard on your sensor you probably wont ever see the wires fray from normal use.

Rifter

My x4 just arrived today and I have yet to unpackage it however if one of the ends of that wire are open or have a small connector on it why not just throw some heatshrink tubing on it where the wire runs through the hole?

Wmacky

really no room for that and the hole is too small. You'll see when you look at yours.

I don't have one, but email them and ask if you can squeeze some silicone caulking into the hole.

rhd

I actually had the exact same concern when mine arrived, and although I haven't done this yet, I also thought some sort of silicone or even arctic silver might not be a bad idea.

Rifter

I just opened mine and see what you mean now. This must be ment to be as I also ordered some as thermal adhesive with my x4 so I will use some of it to hold wires in place to stop any possible damage.