Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTS: Sinner's "Secret Weapon" Host, X-Boost Driver

hoo7h

icah93

Today I printed new lids for the pill and the tailcap as I decided to not use the silicone lids yet,
provided originally by Sinner.
Even the printed lid allows me to fix the ground to the host easier, or allows easier dismantling
later on when needed.
As a wire to the host I chose a soldering iron head which is 1.25mm thick of full copper.

I am also thinking about how to finish the tail button with the spring.
The easiest way would be to use a very thin metal sheet that could be fixed
with the switch's fixing ring to the tail,
and a weak spring could be soldered to it then simply glued from the big button side.
I try finding some thin steel or copper sheet for that.

Attachments

• lid1.JPG
    lid1.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 27
  • lid2.JPG
    lid2.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 27
  • printing.JPG
    printing.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 27

icah93

For keeping the tail spring and big button in place, I decided to press fit and glue
a printed 2x3mm wide o-ring.
This I printed from a luminescent material so at least it gives some glow in the dark :)
I have ordered the switch finally so it on the way.
Now I need to decide only which diode and driver to put into the host.
Most possibly it will be a 465nm 4W diode.

Attachments

• fl.JPG
    fl.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 23
  • fluo2.JPG
    fluo2.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 20
Looking forward to seeing this build come to life. A 4 watt 465nm will look great, as long as the beam doesn't wildly diverge.

sinner

The host arrived today, thanks, Hussain!
It is beautiful and a nice base for my 462 project.

I have already used the X-boost driver for my M140. Re-set it from 1.1A to 1.5A.
Works flawless, but only ~30 seconds, then it starts flickering.
I assume it can be the inbuilt heat protection. Can anybody, using this driver (X-boost micro v7)
assure me that the flickering is normal in case of possible overheating?

The other issue is the tailcap of the Sinner host.
Can possibly anybody having the same host give me a clue what kind of switch should I build
into and how? I see there is a thread in the hole, is there any kinda threaded switch or
what is the intention behind this.
Also I am thinking about that what will keep the tail button in the place (fix it to the host's tail)?

I am sure I find a solution to this but it would be better to see someone's tailcap so the
solution is nice and elegant. I suppose Sinner did know well why he built it like that...

Hi icah93, Sorry about the delayed response. These tailcaps use Judco 10A switches linked below.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=40-4675-00&v=78
Unforutunately there's no elegant solutions to this particular tailcap design and lot's of two-part epoxying needs to be done. good luck!

EDIT: looks like you've already figured it out. Again, sorry about the late reply. You can email me at contact(at)sinnercustoms(dot)com at any time.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Sinner, good to hear from you again! :yh:

Last edited:
Sinner, it is great to hear from you after so much time. Many of us wish you were still making the awesome hosts that you did for us all. I am out of reps or I would give you some. I'll come back and rep you later.

icah93

looks like you've already figured it out.

Yes I guess so :)
In the meantime I ordered a 10A Judco switch, it should arrive in a few days.
Anyway, it so kind of you to answer, I appreciate it!

Hope you get a bit back to the business, it would be nice to see (and buy) some new hosts made by you.

icah93

The switch finally arrived, so I finish the tailcap soon.
However, the thread diameter of the switch is smaller than the thread in the tail piece, so I am a bit sad about it
because I was nearly sure that the two threads match.
Fortunately, the switch can be fixed with the fixing ring so it is only a minor problem.
Still, I am unsure why Sinner created a thread in the tail piece if nothing can match it? (I assume all the suitable Judco switches have the same thread diameter)

The N465 diode from Jordan is on the way and should arrive in a few days,
so I expect the build to get finished by the next week.

Attachments

• judco.JPG
    judco.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 19

icah93

Tailcap finished.

I had to cut a door into the printed cylinder so the switch's wires fit into the tail head.
Instead of the soldering iron head "washer" solution rather I drilled a hole into the head then
tightened the screw and soldered the wire into it, so the "classic" solution.
I cut the inside plastic rod from the tail button, and used a spring together with the
previously printed o-ring which I glued into the head, as planned.
The battery contact side has simply been epoxied into the head.

Attachments

• P1050521.JPG
    P1050521.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 24
  • P1050522.JPG
    P1050522.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 22
  • P1050523.JPG
    P1050523.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 24
  • P1050526.JPG
    P1050526.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 23
  • P1050528.JPG
    P1050528.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 20

sinner

Kudos to you icah93, you nailed it despite of the quirks in this particular tailcap design, I later updated it to a reverse clicky and a rubber boot on the Cyp-IIIb hosts and never had any issues with the KAN28 switches.

Any chance you will be offering more hosts for sale in the future, sinner? I do miss having you to go to for hosts of excellent quality and reasonable prices.

sinner

Any chance you will be offering more hosts for sale in the future, sinner? I do miss having you to go to for hosts of excellent quality and reasonable prices.

Paul, as much as I loved making them my work schedule doesn't allow much of a hobby time lately. I have had several ideas for new hosts and i might eventually build something. I'm glad the community is still thriving, I appreciate you asking :thanks:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, I second Pauls sentiments, any new Sinner builds would be a great addition to the forum!

Take care, Sinner, stay in touch. :yh: