Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTS: Sinner's "Secret Weapon" Host, X-Boost Driver

hoo7h

SOLD

Hi all!,

So I bought this host a couple of years ago and I didn't use it. Now when I got back into the hobby I found using it to be more complicated than I thought so I will guess I will sell it and buy a drop-in ready host.

Here's an album that hopefully covers every part of the host. I wouldn't recommend buying it if you aren't proficient with building it as I probably wouldn't be able to answer any questions when you are building it lol.
https://imgur.com/a/ywpm0
The host is not made anymore so its a nice piece of LPF history I guess :)

Price is $80 plus shipping, which is what I paid for two years ago.

Also you can add this X-Boost driver for $15 more.
https://i.imgur.com/Lxghs9Y.jpg

I don't think it would be worth it to sell the driver alone as the shipping will be too expensive.

I hope I priced these items correctly and fairly, let me know if you feel otherwise.
Cheers :beer:

Last edited:

Sounds very reasonable to me. That driver is around $30.00, when you can find them. I have that same host in a build and also an empty host waiting for the day when I decide to put something inside it. Good luck with your sale, hoo7h.

hoo7h

Shipment went out today. Make sure to show us the end result, icah93. I am sure you will make a lovely laser. It is truly a beautiful host

Did you sell the driver too? It was at a good price, so was just wondering.

Cool. Are you going to use that to get a simpler host to use for your build? Maybe that 505nm build?

Last edited:

hoo7h

I am thinking about recycling an S4 host I have had for quite sometime and use it for a 505nm build. This time I will do most of the work myself, as the parts won't cost very much if I miss something up. Gotta get my skills as a laser builder on speed with my join date you know :san:

Cool. Are you going to use that to get a simpler host to use for your build? Maybe that 505nm build?

The only true 505nm and below diodes are all case positive. That means having to deal with the Survival Laser's Blitz Linear Driver. It is tiny beyond anything else you've seen and the pot on it tends to stick. I have spent days trying to adjust the pot on those drivers. You might not want to tackle that one first. The ones DTR has are actually 510nm diodes, but are case neutral. There are no alternatives to this driver for case positive diodes, unless you isolate the diode from the rest of the build. Not a great alternative.

hi Paul ,
I dont see why DTR has those 505's put up when he has the 510's for sale also. just maybe The 505's DTR has might as well be 505's and just a few measure 510.. Who knows ???

Rich:)

I measured ten of them. All were 510nm or very close to it. They have SB147EC91 micro-printed around the window.

hoo7h

Hmm I see. Then I guess I will go for a 1W red. Jordan has 3 , the Oclaro 700, the Sharp 700 and the Mits 500w. Which one would you choose?

The only true 505nm and below diodes are all case positive. That means having to deal with the Survival Laser's Blitz Linear Driver. It is tiny beyond anything else you've seen and the pot on it tends to stick. I have spent days trying to adjust the pot on those drivers. You might not want to tackle that one first. The ones DTR has are actually 510nm diodes, but are case neutral. There are no alternatives to this driver for case positive diodes, unless you isolate the diode from the rest of the build. Not a great alternative.

Those all have terrible divergence. And they are much cheaper on eBay too. The beam spreads out greatly in one axis. When focused to infinity they all look like a line on the wall. I have three of them in builds because I got them so cheap. But, you won't like the beam. It is pretty bright, but no dot on the wall. I think I still have one in my stock too.

BTW, I have all Mits. The two Oclaro ones I had died. The Mits is much better at taking more current even though it is labeled a 500 mW and the Oclaro is labeled a 700 mW.

Last edited:
What current were you running them at Paul? Ive built quite a few mits at 1.4 - 1.5 A and a couple of 700s at 1.4 A. The mits I kept degraded down to 850 mW from 1.4 W over a few years and was probably due to the open can. Cant say about the 700s as they were custom builds, but I didnt receive any complaints? :beer:

Last edited:

icah93

Shipment went out today. Make sure to show us the end result, icah93. I am sure you will make a lovely laser. It is truly a beautiful host

Sure.
It takes some time to get all the necessary components but I am not in a big hurry.
@grainde: thanks for your offer, unfortunately I have to refuse it as my current funds are limited. I have sent you a PM.