Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTS(Auction): The beast Laserglow Hercules 700 24/7 duty (532nm)

Encap

I was the owner after Minamoto Kobayashi sold it to me. And after me this laser had another owner, who then sold it to the current owner. Buying this laser you'd be the 5th owner. Please be aware that it may have some flaws. At the time I still had it it was still very good, like new. But I remember the person I sold it to (I believe it was Podo) said it had a rather wide beam which he didn't like. Don't expect to get to get a very low divergence and thin beam like Optotronics lasers with this. It's a great unit but in my opinion more of a hype than it actually is amazing. Also, OP saying this laser hasn't been used for 2-2.5 years is a straight out lie. I bought the laser in december 2014 and I sold it around summer 2015. This would be around 2 years from now. However, I sold it to the owner previous to the current owner. So unless he turned it on just once, or not at all, this laser has for sure been used within the past two years.

Good to know the post Minamoto Kobayashi full history details and that it has had 4 owners.

You'd think if it was such a great laser pointer it wouldn't be resold so many times, but from what I've been able to gather, it is a well designed unit.

Specs:

make url for image

For the hefty price shouldn't these be true TEM00 istead of Near TEM00? Asking 3k for 800mW on their highest model is insane!

I do like their other products though :)

-Alex

Price does seem high, but no one else makes anything like it.

I mean with 100% duty cycle and a TEC :p

Edit: I've repped negs on accident at least three times now, maybe four. NP.

Last edited:

diachi

JetLasers does! Their 800mW PL-E's are like $600 I think. A steal: :pop:

BTW, sorry about that rep :(

-Alex

Doesn't have 100% duty cycle and a active cooling. ;)

Wonder how much one of these costs direct from CNI...

That is pretty cool. A TEC and forced air in a handheld is quite unusual. Might be near TEM00 because of space constraints. IDK, after so many owners, the price shouldn't be going back up, but rather down.

Encap

You'd think if it was such a great laser pointer it wouldn't be resold so many times, but from what I've been able to gather, it is a well designed unit.

Good points +
If you look at the offer by Minamoto Kobayashi you can see what his opinion of it was back in 2014.
He says:
"It's time to sell some duplicates. I have an Hercules 700 and an Hercules 650.
The Hercules 700 has slightly less performances that the 650 one, so I want to sell it
- The laser is (only) 9 mW underspeced. The performances are shown at the bottom of the post.
You can reach near 700 mW power only when enough warm;
- The laser has a slow ramp up, so You can reach the full (and stable) power
after many minutes.
- There is an original very little cosmetic damage in a side of the last fin, as showed
in the bottom pic.
The performance become very very stable from min. 18 to min. 36 and reach 691 mW, so this laser is only 9mW underspeced"

So is not > 700mW per LG spec + very long ramp up to stable power again not the 2 mins LG says in the spec.
It included at the time an LG external power supply, beam expander , tripod mount and case. Was a great price $500 for it.
Not sure if the accessories are included in the current offer or what state the entire unit is now of course.

LG current price of $3789 is based on long ago high prices for DPSS 532nm anything--in current times and market 2017 LG's prices are more than a bit too much( ex: $1489 for a 1200mW direct diode blue hand held---$689 for a 4.9mW GLP 589nm that Dragon Lasers sells fo $299--give me a break.)
All of their prices are as "off the wall" unless you are a lab or business with serious purpose and you need exactly that capability and the money doesn't matter which is the market LaserGlow addresses for anything over 5mW

See more complete details and photos here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/sold-laserglow-hercules-700-eps-tripod-mount-suitcase-500-dollars-90775.html

PS Jetlasers can supply PL-E Pro with integrated TEC cooling for extended temperature use and extended run time--at least that used to be the case however I don't see it on the current web site. Was offered on dazzlers for military and professional use before.

Last edited:
Maybe that is why this was done as an auction. This news was bound to have come out and it was a better deal 3 years ago with more items included. Knowing it doesn't make it to 700 mW should be a good reason to retract a bid as it wasn't offered as being underspec. Seems Minamoto sold off the lesser of his two Hercules.

Still no beam shots, no way would I buy it.
Being it's coming from Russia I would want to see a video if not several beam shots, it's not like it's difficult.

gozert

After seeing the spec sheet I can confirm that this laser is for sure TEM01. Not TEM00 or near TEM00. I tested it back in the day on my bed which still has a burn mark in it. Used glasses to determine what mode it was. If you can buy this thing for around 500$ you'll for sure be happy with it provided it's performance hasn't degraded. You do want to buy a beam expander for it though. Those are what make it an amazing laser. Without one I'd rather spend the money on a, albeit more expensive, Optotronics laser.

Reactions: GSS
They kinda change modes as they run. Mine starts out and runs for a long time at very near TEM00 (it has a light wing) but will stay there for a good maybe half hour to an hour, and eventually the cooling cant keep up with the module's temps, and it goes TEM01. Mine's not at its factory current though. If i turn the current down it actually does much better at the cost of some power. Each one is slightly different. I've not taken one apart, but based on what I know of its behavior it has a tec cooling the diode and the module is likely brass like most CNIs are, so if the brass is likely poorly heatsinked then adding the fan helps it along-but can't perfectly keep up in my case...and ambient temperature affects it some. it probably uses the TEC mostly on batteries and uses the fan only when needed to avoid excess power draw. but if it's plugged in the fan runs all the time and the current control is much better. It's much more stable on battery ironically than on DC, due to the fact that it has to power manage itself, and the batteries die before it can overheat generally. It's not meant for super long runtimes in most cases as far as I've found. The batteries die pretty fast, and rechargables struggle to keep up, I always use duracell primaries personally, as they seem to work the best.

Last edited: