Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Ophir Heads, Ophir LPMs

Snecho

I'm in need of an LPM and I am looking for heads like the 20C-A-1-Y to hopefully build one or if someone has an Ophir based LPM that would be awesome.

Many thanks.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I think the one that was for sale in the BST is now sold, it was a very nice unit sold by Brendon and originally made by member "Offroadfreak".

There are a couple of Ophir 20C-A-1-Y heads for sale on ebay, but they're expensive, one is going for $449, and the other is sky high at $700. 🙁

Oh, I didn't know that one got sold. Do you know if he got his asking price? It seemed high to me for a used LPM. Looked like he was trying to get all the money he paid for it back out.

Okay. I see he got $400 for it. That was $100 less than he was looking for.

I think the one that was for sale in the BST is now sold, it was a very nice unit sold by Brendon and originally made by member "Offroadfreak".

There are a couple of Ophir 20C-A-1-Y heads for sale on ebay, but they're expensive, one is going for $449, and the other is sky high at $700. 🙁

Hi,
Yes Brandon is selling one for a while now
Rich:)

Snecho

Oh, I didn't know that one got sold. Do you know if he got his asking price? It seemed high to me for a used LPM. Looked like he was trying to get all the money he paid for it back out.

Okay. I see he got $400 for it. That was $100 less than he was looking for.
He wanted $500 the day of the listing but quickly lowered the asking price to $400. He sold it for $400 or $450 as soon as I made him an offer 😭

Last edited:
Well considering most of them are 1K+ new, even 500 isn't bad for a working one in calibration tbh. Its just that most people are on a budget and don't want to spend that much. We used to pay 4-500 all the time for them when I was new to the forum. Anything less was a steal. I think i paid $375 for my 3A sensor. It pairs nicely with my Vega and measures pretty much everything up to 3W pretty well. Honestly, like anything else, Its an investment and frankly only needed for those who need it all the time.

I sold it for $450 on ebay. I bought it (also used) for $500 (reduced from $625). So me asking $500 was reasonable.

Also I know Jerry (Laserbee) usually snatches up any Ophir heads that come for sale on the forum. I sold him the one I bought before I got the LPM for $300. I'm not sure what he does with them but he might be willing to sell one to you (just the head) for $300-$400.

Hi, Check out Laserbee209a62fe004d594ab384b67e1a992252.png There are many affordable LPM's and his thermopiles are awesome, quick response time great product. I have 4 or 5 from him and 2 from Tom Nospin one in blue and one in red digital readouts.
Jerry's is the way to go. And they are precalibrated and ready to use out of the box.

Snecho

Also I know Jerry (Laserbee) usually snatches up any Ophir heads that come for sale on the forum. I sold him the one I bought before I got the LPM for $300. I'm not sure what he does with them but he might be willing to sell one to you (just the head) for $300-$400.
He repossesses them into Ophir LaserBees from what I can gather. He is not willing to do any deal of the sort unfortunately.
Hi, Check out LaserbeeView attachment 67047 There are many affordable LPM's and his thermopiles are awesome, quick response time great product. I have 4 or 5 from him and 2 from Tom Nospin one in blue and one in red digital readouts.
Jerry's is the way to go. And they are precalibrated and ready to use out of the box.

Thank you Lifetime but I am well aware of LaserBee at this point. The thermopile is just a bit too slow for me.

Last edited:
Another possible option is that several members, including me, bought Kenometers a few years ago. They have the same Ophir head on them and most were priced less than the head is going for now. You might find someone willing to part with theirs (but not me)

At the time, the heads were available from an alternate source for a lot less and most were bought up to use with the production of the Kenometers.

Another possible option is that several members, including me, bought Kenometers a few years ago. They have the same Ophir head on them and most were priced less than the head is going for now. You might find someone willing to part with theirs (but not me)

At the time, the heads were available from an alternate source for a lot less and most were bought up to use with the production of the Kenometers.

I remember this happening at the time. One person was selling these quite inexpensively and soon they were all bought out. Then others came along offering them at much higher prices. Should have just purchased one back when they were quite cheap, but I wasn't into lasers as much as I became later.

GSS

He repossesses them into underspec, and very pricey non-negotiable Ophir LaserBees from what I can gather. He is not willing to do any deal of the sort...from what I can gather. That route is dead.

Thank you Lifetime but I am well aware of LaserBee at this point. The thermopile is too slow for me.
I have no clue what to make of this post?? Is it a dig to Jerry??
To slow in response time???? To measure your 2 301's units and the 1 Thor you have????
Jerry was very willing to work with me and give me a deal on his units, i'm not talking about 10% off either.. He did NOT want any reviews in his dealings with me, nor does he need any because he sells a great product.
He also was involved a bit in me getting a LPM from Lifetime17:) He obviously saw right threw your nonsense and didn't even bother to waste his time..:LOL:

Your postings and rants about a perfect meter is like someone wanting to buy a fantastic top notch $100,000 engine Dyno without even having a car nor a motor or nor a garage to put it in:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It all just depends on what you need from your meter. They're somewhat inaccurate and slow over the long term. But they are plenty adequate for most hobbyist applications. For measuring your relatively high power blue build that you’ve just made or something like that they're plenty fine, Especially if you give your results a magin of error/grain of salt.

But if you need to measure something with very small low output, or you need it to be sensitive to rapid changes or monitoring a stabilized laser, they definitely will leave a lot to be desired in most cases. (or at least that was true the last time I used one a few years ago) i’m sure they’ve gotten better over time and if someone ever wants me to do a review and compare it to a high-profile professional meter I’d be happy to do so.

Just jumping in with my two cents... 40 seconds for a 100% response time from the LaserBee AX/AX3 is far too slow imo. The 90% response time is 16 seconds... especially if I'm trying to LPM a DPSS laser like a high power 532nm, the fluctuations in output power from the DPSS simply leaves a lot to be desired. If the response time were more like a warm-up time, then it would not bother me as much. But, the response time is a continuously rolling window... so if the DPSS drops in power sharply as it warms up, you wouldn't even know it had started to drop in power until 15+ seconds later. And even then, you would only see the drop in power if the laser was stably at the lower output power for those 15+ seconds. A 15 second smoothing factor/low pass filter is a really long filter time wise... if your duty cycle was 60 seconds on/30 seconds off, by the time your LPM was reading the initial power output, 25% of your total run time had already passed - really, you're getting 4 data points in 60 seconds. Simply not useful for creating LPM graphs imo. Even the 100% response time of 10-12 seconds on the LaserBee II is too slow, the Ophir does a 95% response time in 0.8 seconds

I will agree, however, that one should obtain a laser before fussing over a well-spec'd LPM... 😉