Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: lab style 12X BR

HI, I'm looking for a a lab style 12X BR ~500mW with
analogue modulation. so that 0..5V input changes the output from 0 to
whatever the recommended long-term usage power for 12X BR is. I already have a
lab-style heat-sink for aixiz and a lens coated for BR. So I only need a good driver
(with potentiometer) connected to a tested diode in aixiz module.

Anyone interested in making such a system and what could it
cost? Please contact me PM

Regards,
Caustic

No way a 12x bluray is NOT going to last at 500mW CW sorry.
CW is rated at maybe ~300-320mW at most. Sorry but unless you are willing shell out $1600 for a nichia 600mW 405-410nm I think you are out of luck. You could combine output 2 8x's for some serious power however...

500mW out of a 12x is really stretching their durability.

^^ Yea but they don't run them for more than a minute at a time.
I don't think thats what he's looking for.

daguin

People get (I don't know how common it is, the 8X info page showed a lot of 400mw's) 500mW out of 8X's I believe. Check ScopeGuy's Sig. Almost every 12X gets >500mW. Yobresal stretches them to 800+.

EDIT: MOST 12X's go to >500mW Here's my source:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/12x-br-diodes-46798.html

^^ Yea but they don't run them for more than a minute at a time.
I don't think thats what he's looking for.

In pointers and/or hand held lasers, we are only looking for about 300 hours of life at 60 seconds on at a time.

In a lab laser we are looking for thousands of hours of life at burns as long as two hours at a time.

Peace,
dave

oh, well, I see the source you are referring to however the spec sheets suggest running them at no more than 320mW CW, why is that? I even asked nichia about the diodes.

I'd really like to have a 12x labby, but I need a really super stable driver and a decent heatsink.
I'll wait. Too much $$$ right now.

In pointers and/or hand held lasers, we are only looking for about 300 hours of life at 60 seconds on at a time.

In a lab laser we are looking for thousands of hours of life at burns as long as two hours at a time.

Peace,
dave

Dave, if i were to run an 8x or a 12x diode in a lab style laser using a large metal plate style heatsink,
would it still need a short duty cycle due to how much the diode is overdriven?
What if the output was reduced to ~300-320mW as Seoul_lasers mentioned? Would the reduction allow for continuous on?

thanks,
Chuck

thanks for comments folks,
What's the the safe output power for long term use in a good heatsink? And what sort of driver is recommended?
Anyways, I'm not planning to run it at 500mW at all times, hence the need for analogue modulation and scaling of power output.

jayrob

I don't know if it can run for super long run times, but my TEC Ice Box 12X will stay at ambient temperature for 5 minute run times. (the module/heatsink drops a couple of degrees in temperature)

So theoretically, it could run for long times. (I believe)

The battery supply will give approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours of run time between charges...
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/tutorial-blu-ray-tec-step-step-37239.html

Last edited:
Do you need 405nm?

445nm is cheaper, and within the next couple of weeks, we will have some decent optics and stuff to build 445nm labbies instead

Rob

dobart

I guess this is the place to ask; can anyone point me in the direction of DIY stable labby supply ideas? I'm working on (finally) my dream combiner (or 2) and I'm looking to drive my diodes off a regulated power supply so I can explore some analog and PWM modulation techniques. 'Somewhat compact' would be the goal, but I don't need battery portability. Many thanks!

robjdixon,

445 sounds very interesting as well! pls post it here when there's progress with 445nm lab-style!

ps. Meanwhile I'm still looking for 405nm 12X BR build! Anyone?