Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: High Power 40 watts Laser System

I want to build a burning laser for engraving.
Need a simple system with laser, cooling, power supply (240Vac).

bandwidth can be 808 nm but if the beam is visbile, better so I can see where it burns.

Laser needs to have fiber attachment so the fiber output is attached to a X/Y plotter.

Please PM if you a solution.

Thanks!!!

I want to build a burning laser for engraving.
Need a simple system with laser, cooling, power supply (240Vac).

bandwidth can be 808 nm but if the beam is visbile, better so I can see where it burns.

Laser needs to have fiber attachment so the fiber output is attached to a X/Y plotter.

Please PM if you a solution.

Thanks!!!

I a solution.

Find Shrecken_Licht and ask her about the monster 60W CO2 system she has.

You left out one critical piece of information.

How much money do you want to spend on this?

You could easily get a 50W q-switched frequency doubled yag that would be visible and cut a whole load of stuff. But you're looking at a bit of money.

yes, i have a budget for this. I am using it to cut fabric like cotton. If the first one works, I will need a couple more of at least 10 sets.

I prefer solid state diode laser; non-gas type. I am able to source for power supply and Pet cooling but it is the laser diode + lens + fiber that I need lots of help...

Please PM if you are interested and the price. Thanks!!!!

I am looking at about US$1800/- for the complete set with new or relatively new diode bar.

Could it be done?

yeah it can be done, but you'll have to wait for the good deals.

If you're cutting cotton-like stuff (aka white material) you may not have a choice but to use gas. If you go with diode or even YAG to cut white you're going to need ridiculous amounts of power. With a focused CO2 you could probably just use a 40-60W tube and it will go straight through.

I think CO2 is going to be your cheapest and easiest option. The most expensive part (brand new will easily be more than your entire budget) will probably be the fiber launch/delivery system because it cant use normal fiber, and the CO2 fiber is very expensive and hard to find. I would strap the whole tube to the moving assembly. It will be simpler and cut costs. OR use an articulated arm delivery system rather than fiber.

I a solution.

Find Shrecken_Licht and ask her about the monster 60W CO2 system she has.

Where'd you get the idea I had 60 watts?!?! I wish I did! I have a 20 watt CO2 BTW, it can cut cloth (even fiberglass cloth) but probably not fast enough to be efficient at it. There are a couple other members at least who have a 60 watt CO2 system, ask Cyparagon, I think he has one, can't think of anyone else atm.

Thanks for the inputs.. I want to avoid gas as they might be quite fragile as I heard it..

I am a bit confused here...

Is YAG a DPSS?
Is Q-switched related to YAG or DPSS?

What are their relationship?

And how about laser diode arrays?

hahahah blue fusion wow !!! epic FAIL !
epicze4.jpg

Like I said, CO2 is possibly the worst option. It's hard to work with, totally invisible, and requires specialized and expensive cooling, power, optics and mounting, and the tube itself is large and fragile.
However, I can easily sort you out a diode based fiber coupled system to suit your needs :)
cgeeky@gmail.com

Blue are you fishing for suckers ?? cause although i havent dealt with you ,shouldn't you try to pay back all the members you owe money to before trying to rip off another

usually i stay out of this stuff but sheash get with it man

Last edited:

Krutz

perhaps its easier to move the fabric instead of the whole lasersystem? a co2 tube including the (water) cooling isnt that robust against high acceleration, i would guess.. not even speaking about how to precisely move it at acceptable speed..

for etching/burning copper off pcbs, 60w are enough. at 904nm, which is around 10% absorbtion. so perhaps its not that impossible, with a diode-bar?
how about dying the fabric with some watersolubable dark color?

i would suggest to ask heruursciences. he has both fiber-coupled diodebars (40w? 60w?) as well as co2 tubes (10w?). he probably has much more, and stronger units, which are out of reach for most of us here. and finally, with his knowledge, he probably knows the best approach! :)
unfortunately, he is hard to come by.. dont be frustrated of it takes quite long for him to get back to you!

and finally: you can couple a visible laser into the beampath, as visible pilot laser. some fiberbars have that built in already!

manuel

diachi

I have a way that you can do it without fiber. You use mirrors instead. The beam exits the CO2 laser , hit's a bounce mirror which directs the beam towards another bounce mirror which is facing down at a 45* angle. These would both be mounted onto a bar that can move on both x and y axes but only the second mirror would move on both axes ( it would slide up and down the bar and the bar would slide up and down two rails at either side which would be perpendicular to the bar ) . There would also be a ZnSe focusing lens placed after the second mirror to focus the beam onto the material.

Need a drawing ? :p