Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: custom heatsink, 7x aixiz module

Hey machinists of LPF! I'm looking to have a custom heatsink made for me. Basically I'm looking for something that holds 7x AixiZ modules, with a flat bottom.
attachment.php

The exact dimensions I'm not super picky about. I'd like the AixiZ modules as close together as possible without ruining any structural integrity. The front should be roughly 4" wide, and the whole thing should be 6" or so long. Plus some threaded holes on the bottom for mounting. Aluminum works for material. Fins on the round part would be nice but not necessary.

attachment.php

Let me know if anyone can do this!

Attachments

• divx_heatsink.png
    divx_heatsink.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 133
  • divx_heatsink2.png
    divx_heatsink2.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 137

Do all the holes have to be parallel ? :crackup:

Then every diode has to be pressed in just right and we are relying on the factory tolerances ...which are quite good, still I would like to be able to adjust each laser for runout.

----edit----

Have you thought about a bundle of 7 maybe 3/4 inch round bars drilled for modules, that way you could shim to trim and get a perfect alignment ?

Last edited:
I had built something with 16 M140 diodes in it once, none of the beams were parallel, some close, many not. Next time I will have adjustments machined in. From what you wrote, I could have tried to fix some of the problem making sure they were pressed identical. I bought all of them from a vender.

Last edited:
This is exactly the kind of thing I have been thinking of doing. CDbeam777 has his idea of going from press to friction fit and using his adjustable copper mount....but that is with I believe one module.

I have been talking to various companies that make heat sinks just trying to get a radial sink with fins for one module.
There are off the shelf units that can be used which saves on a custom job...but again for one module.
I have been scratching my head as to how to get six or seven modules into any heat sink so that the beams will converge at a fixed distance. Trying to get that done in a finned heat sink would be even better.

CDbeam777 with the Katar project wants to use cyl pairs. However, with 6 or 7 modules, there would be so much power that I don't think cyl pairs would be necessary.

I realize that using AixiZ modules instead of a press fit design will cause bad alignment, but this is just for a short range burner similar to my "laser shotgun". I have been working on plans for a much bigger build using a lot of beam combining and correcting, but I still have a long way to go with that one.

I'm sure if you had a custom heatsink made where all the diodes were press fit directly into the heatsink, the alignment would come out pretty decent. That would require more complicated machining though.

I was going to get EHgemus to make something like that for me but with just three diodes. However, he didn't put the holes right next to one another with only 3 mm of metal between them like I asked :(

If I were going to do this again, I'd have the holes for the diodes drilled into the metal and directly insert them that way, as long as the driver didn't require case isolation for each diode, then they can be really close together. Only problem is, how to collimate when spaced that close together? You aren't going to be able to do so without some fancy work to allow the lenses to sit in front and then, some small lenses with high divergence.. I guess the Axiz module idea is a better idea, but I don't see why they couldn't be so close together there is only a few mm of metal between each holder, you don't need much metal for structural reasons, but for heat sinking, maybe not wise.

Later, I had another idea, putting individual axiz modules on the ends of long tubes with swivels on the end of each to mount each holder on, a wire in the back of each one going to a point, with a siding ring you could move down the wires pulling the direction they point into one spot in the far distance. Then you could have some burning power.

I think your knife edge idea might be a better way to go, just PBS combine the outputs of two sets of knife edges for more power.

Last edited:
What is it for? Burning, visual delight?

Can't answer in clear text. Do you use PGP? Protomail?
In brief, for research into practical use?
Long ago found this in a fortune cookie:
"May you live in interesting times."
It is actually a curse!

Hey machinists of LPF! I'm looking to have a custom heatsink made for me. Basically I'm looking for something that holds 7x AixiZ modules, with a flat bottom.
attachment.php

The exact dimensions I'm not super picky about. I'd like the AixiZ modules as close together as possible without ruining any structural integrity. The front should be roughly 4" wide, and the whole thing should be 6" or so long. Plus some threaded holes on the bottom for mounting. Aluminum works for material. Fins on the round part would be nice but not necessary.

attachment.php

Styro, how could I forget to ask, what on earth would you want this for? :)

When I did this with reds long ago I drilled a hole in the side of each module back half for the wire and mounted a screw out the back of each module that went through a screw plate so I could adjust each beam, the holes in the front plate were fitted to allow tilt of each module.

But with multi watt blues there is so much more heat, that's why I was thinking about a bundle of round heat sinks, really if all the heat sinks were articulated you could arrange the beams into a cone and intersect the cone of beams with a concave then convex lens and set bundle size and how that bundle diverges, the beauty of arranging your lasers into a cone is you can use smaller lenses to control a wide circle of beams.

I thought about doing it with a bunch of PLTB450B diodes, but I would want to be able to adjust each laser because there's always one or two that are a little bit out of alignment in a fixed mount, at least for me anyway.

58159d1510252522-wtb-custom-heatsink-7x-aixiz-module-0426082330.jpg

58160d1510252522-wtb-custom-heatsink-7x-aixiz-module-0426080117.jpg

Attachments

• 0426082330.jpg
    0426082330.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 0426080117.jpg
    0426080117.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Encap

Ths guy made a 445nm 7 beam hand held and was able to get them all pointed very accurately on a focal point about 12" away from the host.

Interesting, with a much longer FL lens should converge much further away.

That's impressive up close, but I would love to use a 10 inch wide ring of single mode lasers, maybe 50 x 400mw 650's or 500mw 405's and have each articulated so they could all be set into a cone then zoomed to target with a pair of sliding lenses.

The blues in that video would diverge quickly with distance, to get any range it would need to use single mode diodes or shaping lenses for each diode.

--------------------------
BUMP FORWARD

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1017081633a.jpg
    1017081633a.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
That's impressive up close, but I would love to use a 10 inch wide ring of single mode lasers, maybe 50 x 400mw 650's or 500mw 405's and have each articulated so they could all be set into a cone then zoomed to target with a pair of sliding lenses.

The blues in that video would diverge quickly with distance, to get any range it would need to use single mode diodes or shaping lenses for each diode.

BUMP FORWARD

Why single mode reds? Despite the divergence if we could converge 6 44s radially with perhaps one in the center, through a lens at between 10 and 20 feet, that would be effective.

Have you thought about having the holes oversized and using eccentric bushings on each end? That way you can adjust each end and you could focus each beam to any focal length you want.