Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

wtb 150mw+ green laser

I am on my third green laser I keep buying from different companys for example (deal extreme,china quality goods,deal extreme) and I am sick of getting garbage. I know i should of expected it but I figured if I would buy a 200mw green laser I would most likely get 100mw out of it . So please let me know if someone has one for sale thanks in advance.

daguin

The_Muffin_Man said:
I was going to make a 40-50mW one in a CORE host...i could easily make it 150mW though...

If you do this, you will suffer the same issues as most of the high powered green pen-style pointers.  There is NOT enough metal in a pen-style host to serve as a sufficient heat sink for a green module.  The module will rapidly overheat and become unstable.

Peace,
dave

09speed3 said:
I am on my third green laser I keep buying from different companys for example (deal extreme,china quality goods,deal extreme) and I am sick of getting garbage. I know i should of expected it but I figured if I would buy a 200mw green laser I would most likely get 100mw out of it . So please let me know if someone has one for sale thanks in advance.

Because of the reason stated above, you will not get a good high powered green laser in a pen style.  If you want 200mW of green laser light, buy a portable style (like an RPL).  You won't get one for <$300 on eBay or DX or anywhere.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=The_Muffin_Man link=1232920792/0#1 date=1232925374]I was going to make a 40-50mW one in a CORE host...i could easily make it 150mW though...

If you do this, you will suffer the same issues as most of the high powered green pen-style pointers.  There is NOT enough metal in a pen-style host to serve as a sufficient heat sink for a green module.  The module will rapidly overheat and become unstable.

Peace,
dave
[/quote]

The limit is usually about 80mW, right?

And what about the X-150? I have always heard good things about that series...
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=88

daguin

randomlugia said:
[quote author=daguin link=1232920792/0#2 date=1232925555][quote author=The_Muffin_Man link=1232920792/0#1 date=1232925374]I was going to make a 40-50mW one in a CORE host...i could easily make it 150mW though...
Peace,
dave[/quote]
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=88[/quote]

They are great lasers. They just have very short duty cycles. If that is good for you, no problem. If you want to use it for a few minutes at a time, big problem.

Peace,
dave

Dave,

By unstable do you mean that the power output fluctuates? Because when i am pointing my green laser (at night) i sometimes lose track of the time. When i feel the top part of the laser it doesnt feel warm at all...Is the silicon (black rubber stuff) absorbing/reflecting the heat back into the host? I usually keep a good duty cycle on my laser but will it mess it up if i leave it on for a while (like 2 minutes)?

Also would it be POSSIBLE to put a 40-50mW module in a CORE? Is the barrel wide enough? or more importantly does the hole line up? Dave you have CORES on hand...If it isnt too much trouble will you measure the inside diameter and the length from the button hole to the tip of the laser?

Thanks

for $300 I could give you my focalprice "500mW" since I don't really want to deal with them...

daguin said:
[quote author=randomlugia link=1232920792/0#3 date=1232925948][quote author=daguin link=1232920792/0#2 date=1232925555][quote author=The_Muffin_Man link=1232920792/0#1 date=1232925374]I was going to make a 40-50mW one in a CORE host...i could easily make it 150mW though...
Peace,
dave[/quote]
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=88[/quote]

They are great lasers.  They just have very short duty cycles.  If that is good for you, no problem.  If you want to use it for a few minutes at a time, big problem.

Peace,
dave[/quote]
The duty cycle on those things isn't that short, 100 seconds on 10 seconds off. Not the best but it certainly isn't unbearable. My 170mW greenie doesn't heat up very much at all when used for a minute at a time, but then again I never need to use it any longer than that.

09speed3 said:

I have a very nice 120-150mW laser build with a http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=886 module, massive machined brass heatsink with fins and stainless host http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11133

Parts alone is $145...offers?

I can post photos...

LikeitBright said:
[quote author=09speed3 link=1232920792/0#0 date=1232920792]I am on my third green laser I keep buying from different companys for example (deal extreme,china quality goods,deal extreme) and I am sick of getting garbage. I know i should of expected it but I figured if I would buy a 200mw green laser I would most likely get 100mw out of it . So please let me know if someone has one for sale thanks in advance.

I have a very nice 120-150mW laser build with a module, massive machined brass heatsink with fins and stainless host

Parts alone is $145...offers?

I can post photos...[/quote]

if you are willing to sell i may buy. more pics please. i have been looking for a green 100-150mW.

The_Muffin_Man said:
Dave,

By unstable do you mean that the power output fluctuates? Because when i am pointing my green laser (at night) i sometimes lose track of the time.  When i feel the top part of the laser it doesnt feel warm at all...Is the silicon (black rubber stuff) absorbing/reflecting the heat back into the host?  I usually keep a good duty cycle on my laser but will it mess it up if i leave it on for a while (like 2 minutes)?

Also would it be POSSIBLE to put a 40-50mW module in a CORE? Is the barrel wide enough? or more importantly does the hole line up?  Dave you have CORES on hand...If it isnt too much trouble will  you measure the inside diameter and the length from the button hole to the tip of the laser?

Thanks

I would like to know the answer to this question, as I would like to do this.

daguin

The_Muffin_Man said:
Dave,
By unstable do you mean that the power output fluctuates? Because when i am pointing my green laser (at night) i sometimes lose track of the time.  When i feel the top part of the laser it doesnt feel warm at all...Is the silicon (black rubber stuff) absorbing/reflecting the heat back into the host?  I usually keep a good duty cycle on my laser but will it mess it up if i leave it on for a while (like 2 minutes)?
Also would it be POSSIBLE to put a 40-50mW module in a CORE? Is the barrel wide enough? or more importantly does the hole line up?  Dave you have CORES on hand...If it isnt too much trouble will  you measure the inside diameter and the length from the button hole to the tip of the laser?
Thanks

Yes (although the "black rubber stuff" really isn't a factor in the heating).  As the module begins to heat, things begin to expand.  This expansion tends to change the alignment of the crystals.  This leads to an instability in the output and could ultimately cause the alignment to fail completely as well as cause the pump diode to overheat and fail.

The interior dimension of the Core is 11.8mm (average).  The distance from the front of the laser, without the aperture cap, to the beginning of the hole for the button is 44mm.  The button is 7.2mm long (oval).

I don't own or have an o-like module on hand to check for fit

Peace,
dave

Specs for O-Like Green Modules:

ITEM NO.:OLGM50A

Product : Green laser module at 40~50mW

DESCRIPTION:

1) Wavelength: 532+/-10 nm
2) Output power: 40~50 mW
3) Working voltage: DC 3.0V
4) Working current: < 350mA
5) Laser shape: Dot
[highlight]6) Dimensions: 12 (dia.) x 63 (L) mm[/highlight]
7) Case material: brass
8)Operation temperature range: 20°C-30°C
9)Storage temperature:-10°C-50°C
10) Dot size at 15M: 18mm*18mm

As you said, that's the average, so it could fluctuate, as could the measurements for the module.

That's gonna be a tight fit.

I would like a confirmation if maybe something with the core or the galileo would work with a susie's 50mW module.