Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Would you use your laser for self defense?

Petrovski

Razako said:
[quote author=laserlover link=1215103329/0#10 date=1215106679]i wouldn't use the laser because if i got sued for it afterward then i would be put in jail and fined for having a laser of really high power, and i think jail would be worse than death,
Are you serious?  Just hide the laser really well after the incident and let the cops try to find it ;D
Btw what is the thug with the knife going to say in court?  "oh I was robbing this guy with a knife and he took out his laser and blinded me"[/quote]

He's going to say he's innocent and only wanted to ask for directions, when suddenly this guy blinded him with an illegal laser pointer. He'll present medical evidence that shows a scarred retina caused by a powerful laser. The knife has been discarded of course, and he denies carrying one at the time. There are no witnesses of the event. Good luck!

Razako

Petrovski said:
[quote author=Razako link=1215103329/12#14 date=1215107848][quote author=laserlover link=1215103329/0#10 date=1215106679]i wouldn't use the laser because if i got sued for it afterward then i would be put in jail and fined for having a laser of really high power, and i think jail would be worse than death,
Are you serious? Just hide the laser really well after the incident and let the cops try to find it ;D
Btw what is the thug with the knife going to say in court? "oh I was robbing this guy with a knife and he took out his laser and blinded me"[/quote]

He's going to say he's innocent and only wanted to ask for directions, when suddenly this guy blinded him with an illegal laser pointer. He'll present medical evidence that shows a scarred retina caused by a powerful laser. The knife has been discarded of course, and he denies carrying one at the time. There are no witnesses of the event. Good luck![/quote]
The laser will also be "missing" and he won't be able to prove that your laser caused the burns. Your word against his and who are they going to believe? A fine outstanding citizen or the thug who probably has a criminal record ;)

Cyparagon

One careless match can start a forest fire, yet it takes a whole box to start a barbecue. Similarly, one careless sweep of a laser can blind someone, but it takes many attempts if you TRY.

diachi

Youd be really safe if you carried a 500mW herc with you ::) if blinding them doesnt work you can just smack them over the head :cool:

Diachi

diachi

Woop, sorry just had to, If you didnt mind carrying a 60lb argon laser head you could use that aswell  :p

lol diachi. And honestly I would try every opportunity to save my a$5 even if that means goodbye laser hobbyists (sorry I didn't mean it).The thing you really need is a up to spec performing WL photonic disruptor.

diachi

Just get the HULK ULTRA from DL, its big and heavy enough to give someone minor concusion , if it doesnt kill them it will leave them confused for enough time to get away, the chances of getting an up-to-spec WL laser are next to nothing :-/

Hemlock_Mike

I respect my lasers too much to use as a club and blinding a person is quite tacky.  I wouldn't want a living blind person on my conscience or the taxpayer doles on my account.

That's why I carry a Walther PPK. ;D

Mike

Benm

Well, back here in gunless europe, i think i would use the laser if i happened to carry one on me.

I dont think a typical portable laser would make a good weapon at all, but if its some thug with a knive at a few meters distance, i might cause enough of a startle to make him choose another victim.

Also, in places where lookalike guns are allowed, it might be very effective to fit one with a laser sight and point it... with the dot aimed between your eyes, its a lot more difficult to tell a fake gun from a real one, might prevent people from taking the chance.

Things

Having a high powered laser is just another reason for them to hurt you even more :p

artix

Ok... This is what I would do... I would take my laser and STAB him in the eye then kick him very hard in this BALLZ!!!!! [smiley=engel017.gif] rofl

Ace82

I think I get the concept your trying to present.  If in the right situation, and with the right reflex, I would defiantly blast someone in the eye.  What if you saw someone trying to rape a girl from a distance and you couldn't get there in time, you could distract them.  But to use it as an actual weapon is almost worthless.  Obviously you would need to get a photonic disruptor from WL, now that's a weapon!  ;D

Murudai

Huh, if I had one of my RPLs with me, I'd just bash him over the head with it. Not as effective as a herc, but they are very solid lasers.

Compare:

"Oh noes! i haz dot on my jacket!"

And:

*SMACK* unconscious...

Plus, in this day and age the mugger could probably sue you for eye damages or some crap.