Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would a laser split into 2 packages get through customs?

Get both packages sent not on the same day, So they both go through customs on different days.

I would mark them as "electronics", and wrap them in taped bubble wrap (like O-like does) so customs is discouraged from bothering to open them up. I would also consider shipping the battery separately, or not at all.

Ok so if I was to send the laser in one package, and marked it as flashlight, would it still get opened? I know customs xray everything, and unless theres like organic matter they hardly open them, so I guess it should be fine right?

I think the two rules of thumb are: 1) prevent the package from being identified as a laser; 2) make it not worth the time for customs to attempt to discover what it is.

In light of #1: break the laser into two/multiple parts (in the same package, or multiple if you desire); they'll look like parts of a flashlight. For #2: I'd wrap up the parts in bubble wrap and tape to make them a pain to assemble.

I would simply not ship batteries at all. The USPS prohibits lithium batteries from being sent internationally, and you risk having the entire package refused.

Last edited:
I would simply not ship batteries at all. The USPS prohibits lithium batteries from being sent internationally, and you risk having the entire package refused.

You sure ? I have ordered Lithium Polymer batteries from Chinese dealers several times and each time they were shipped via Hong Kong post and delivered to me by USPS.

You sure ? I have ordered Lithium Polymer batteries from Chinese dealers several times and each time they were shipped via Hong Kong post and delivered to me by USPS.

Just because there is a rule, policy, or law, does not mean that it is automatically followed.

Customs is not supposed to allow lasers without FDA accession numbers into the US as well, but they still get delivered. The thing with batteries is that, in the context of a "flashlight," the package may be singled out.

Only batteries can be seized to my knowledge! The lasers can be, but if they have security features, they should be fine (eg: key, lock)

Last edited:
Well my packages arrived, so it appears there are no problems that I encountered, I now have 2 x 1.5W lasers :)

It really depends on power, and what you plan to do with it, sometimes they take stuff without asking though...

Fiddy

Big success!

arctic-1_zpsa924f082.png

tonyt

Big success!

arctic-1_zpsa924f082.png

Are you seriously kidding me!!!!

It was opened, inspected and it still got through??

How was it packaged? Did it have batteries?? I am seriously dumbfounded! Stunned! lol