Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WL Torch: a mini-technical review

I'm resonably sure that the temperature is measured by means a thermometer not by a multimeter ;)

I did not ask for temperature, I asked for wattage draw. WL claims it is a 100W lamp and I wanted to know if the batteries were capable of powering a 100W lamp sufficiently.

Arayan

I did not ask for temperature, I asked for wattage draw. WL claims it is a 100W lamp and I wanted to know if the batteries were capable of powering a 100W lamp sufficiently.

my sentence comes from the fact that when I told you to discard the data on the brightness (I'm redoing other tests), the data which remained are only those about the temperature and you said again apples and oranges :)
BTW, as soon as possible,I'll measure the wattage of the bulb

Arayan

Is it possible to move this thread in the new section? :)

...I repeated again the measure taking nine points at random in a spot of approx. one square foot and, approximately, I obtain the same results. Therefore, taken with the relative accuracy, I think that the data reported in the rewiew can be taken as good.

It's a good review, but I would rather use a Mag hotwire, considering a better runtime and way cheaper to make... But it looks decent. I'm also awaiting that current draw measurement!

palmer

I have a 3000000 lumen spotlight powered by q car battery . Do anyone think I can focus with lens ? That would be awesome

I sure hope so. Otherwise he would be setting fire to his neighbor's houses with that lens. :D Palmer, it doesn't already have a reflector?

I assuming the heat from it is just heat and not in the form of light like actual lasers are lol.
By saying its the most powerful torch, does that exclude spot-light type torches, like the 3500000 candle power I have?

The Torch itself is probably 1,000 lumens, so I've heard, the rest is IR, still technically lumens, just invisible hot light.

Arayan

It's a good review, but I would rather use a Mag hotwire, considering a better runtime and way cheaper to make... But it looks decent. I'm also awaiting that current draw measurement!

Thanks Randomlugia :) I measured the voltage of the battery just out of charge and I obtain 17.24 volts. If the bulb is 100 W, the current draw should be 5.8 A :thinking:

Arayan

The Torch itself is probably 1,000 lumens, so I've heard, the rest is IR, still technically lumens, just invisible hot light.

for me is very stange... lumens measure the luminous flux... could IR be considered part of luminous flux? :undecided:

I'm not sure, I was talking to people who know a lot more about lights and lumens than I do.

Arayan

Yes I have read that also invisible light can be measured by lux or lumen as units. Thanks for the information :)

If the bulb is 100 W, the current draw should be 5.8 A :thinking:

Thanks for taking the measurement, but for all we know, that might not be completely true either. You can measure the current draw through the tailcap, by replacing the tailcap with the multimeter. Or do you just have a volt meter?

for me is very stange... lumens measure the luminous flux... could IR be considered part of luminous flux? :undecided:

No, lumens is a measure of visible brightness. Example: A warm LED at 200 lumens would be just as bright as a cool LED at 200 lumens, but the warm lights are usually sold with a lower lumens rating. So even if they have the same amount of light, the warm LED gets a lower lumens rating because it doesn't appear to be as bright. And I know UV is measured in mW, not sure about IR.

Last edited: