Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WL Torch: a mini-technical review

Arayan

Thanks for taking the measurement, but for all we know, that might not be completely true either. You can measure the current draw through the tailcap, by replacing the tailcap with the multimeter. Or do you just have a volt meter?
I have a multimeter, then I can try :)

No, lumens is a measure of visible brightness. Example: A warm LED at 200 lumens would be just as bright as a cool LED at 200 lumens, but the warm lights are usually sold with a lower lumens rating. So even if they have the same amount of light, the warm LED gets a lower lumens rating because it doesn't appear to be as bright. And I know UV is measured in mW, not sure about IR.
I know that UV is measured in mW but I found that also IR is measured in mW and not in lumen as I thought.
This is from Light and Infrared Irradiation in CCTV systems
...The wavelength of the visible spectrum ranges from 400nm (violet) to 700nm (red) is divided into a rainbow of colors from red to orange to yellow to green to blue and violet. CIE (International Commission on Illumination) also known as the International Commission on Illumination, clearly stated the position of light, known as photometry, applies only to the visible spectrum Optical and includes units such as nit, lumen, lux and candela. The measurements of the human eye detection ability showed that efficiency is highest in the color green (100% to about 555 nm) and decreases to 50% near Orange (around 610 nm) and blue (around 510 nm) and less than 10% by red (650 nm) and violet (around 470 nm). Humans do not feel the waves radiated in the ultraviolet (below 400 nm) or infrared (above 700 nm) regions. IEC standards are quite complex but it suffices to understand the value of a source of green light (555nm) with 1W of light output is equal to 683 lumens, which for a point to measurement point is equal to 683 Candela. In contrast, 1W red (650 nm) light output equivalent to only 68 candela and 68 lumens 1W and infrared (above 700 nm) energy flow is equal to 0 Lumen, 0 and 0 lux candela...

Last edited:

The Torch itself is probably 1,000 lumens, so I've heard, the rest is IR, still technically lumens, just invisible hot light.

Radiant flux includes IR, luminous flux (lumens) do not include IR. Unfortunately, I've found that my lux meter responds to IR a lot more than it should. (from DX, for what that's worth)

You are welcome, I hope that it could be usefull :) I just bought a 35 W bulb, I'll inform you about the duration of the battery with it.

Yes, yes, necro post. But this post intrigues me, as I am quite interested in the performance of this light with a 35W bulb, such as the Osram 64432, which someone else used in their Torch (read on CPF here: CandlePowerForums - View Single Post - Wicked lasers torch questons) and I was wondering what kind of runtimes you got from the stock battery pack using a 35W bulb, because I've got a Torch in the mail and the Osram 64432 is only $2.29 at Bulb Connection. Would you mind measuring the space between the pins on the stock 100W bulb?

Arayan

Yes, yes, necro post. But this post intrigues me, as I am quite interested in the performance of this light with a 35W bulb, such as the Osram 64432, which someone else used in their Torch (read on CPF here: CandlePowerForums - View Single Post - Wicked lasers torch questons) and I was wondering what kind of runtimes you got from the stock battery pack using a 35W bulb, because I've got a Torch in the mail and the Osram 64432 is only $2.29 at Bulb Connection. Would you mind measuring the space between the pins on the stock 100W bulb?

Currently I have problems with the battery charger, so my data is not reliable, however, with a 35W bulb, the torch works for about 16-18 min. :)

Ah, thanks for that info. I may switch to an even lower wattage bulb...or just upgrade the battery pack...which would you suggest?

Arayan

the 100W light bulb of the torch is exaggerated, I suggest a lower wattage (25-35W)

Yeah, I'm going to get no use from a 100W light with a 5 minute run time. I'm focusing on redesigning the battery pack at this point, it's looking promising if I can find the cells I need.

Currently I have problems with the battery charger, so my data is not reliable, however, with a 35W bulb, the torch works for about 16-18 min. :)

Sorry for the double post, but do you have two battery packs? If so, is one 'better' than the other? The reason I ask is I'm trying to figure out the cell configuration for one, and I can't tell much from the pictures on the site. I may just have to wait until mine shows up...I'm so impatient :crackup:

Things

WL states the voltage of the battery to 14.4V. If the bulb is 100W, this means it'd try draw almost 7 Amps. The battery is only rated for 1500mAh. it may be able to supply the 7A for a short while (Thus its shitty battery life), but it's no where near capable of supplying that current for more than a minute or 2, before exploding anyway.

The cells are NiMh, and only last a few charge cycles due to the incredible current draw. Going off of LuxLuthor's destructive incan testing, an Osram 64432 will give ~1500 lumens at 14v, 3.3A, a perfectly usable output, and as Arayan stated, a nearly doubled charge life with a 35W lamp.

Arayan

Sorry for the double post, but do you have two battery packs? If so, is one 'better' than the other? The reason I ask is I'm trying to figure out the cell configuration for one, and I can't tell much from the pictures on the site. I may just have to wait until mine shows up...I'm so impatient :crackup:

I have only two original batteries from WL, and they have, more or less, the same efficency.

If the bulb is 100W...

a 12V 100W lamp is only 100W if it's run at 12V. Is it a 12V 100W lamp driven at 14.4V, or a 14.4V 100W lamp driven at 14.4V? It'd draw more like 9A if it was the former. And I think a 12V 35W lamp driven at 14.4V would actually be run at something like 45W.

As far as I know it's a 12v bulb being overdriven to 14.4v, I was given the model number of the bulb but have lost it, I believe it's an Osram bulb.

I took some measurements with a variac and a few bulbs and plugged some figures into Excel. Using trend line, I keep coming up with power=constant * voltage ^1.57. Using known values to solve for the constant, I get the equation of:

Pactual=Prated × (Vactual ÷ Vrated)^1.57

This holds up for every 120V incandescent lamp over every voltage I've tried so far. So it should work with 12V as well.

Last edited: