Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WL safety goggles vs. 780mw 445

Tabish

I will buy those yellow glasses if someone sells them cheap.

Amazing how well they filter the 405 consideing how lightly tinted they are.

Also, hope the Arctic results are good. I'm looking forward to buying some.

Try Glenn(scopeguy20) I think he still sells em. That's 445 not 405, and I love that part about them. They hardly make the room any darker, but they block every bit of 445. The only bad thing about them is when you focus the laser to a tiny point it flouresces a bright orange-yellow which they don't block.

Hey Kevinmassey...

I see a potential error in the readings for one simple reason...
From the Pics that you posted I see that both the Glasses were
very close to the Thermopile Sensor under test....
You are pumping almost 1 Watt of energy on the Glasses and
they will heat up...
At that distance from the Thermopile... the sensor could be picking
up Heat generated by the Laser's beam...
Maybe that was why the reading was climbing slowly...

To remove this possibility I would do the test again with the safety
glasses at at least 12" from the Sensor...:cool:

Jerry

Well it didn't really rise slowly. It was fairly quick. Your argument makes complete sense, BUT if that was true I should have seen the same results with both goggles because the yellow ones were just as close. Another reason why I didn't test them from farther away is because the beam immediatly starts melting the plastic, and if they were any farther away the full power going through wouldn't be on the sensor. I'll try it again anyway.

Alright, I just tried it again. This time I used 500mw instead of 780mw, so it wouldn't melt the plastic as fast. The glasses were ~6in away from the sensor this time.
I had basically the exact same results. Nothing over 5mw came through with the yellow glasses, and a steady 6-7mw came through the WL goggles.

Well that eliminates the radiated heat possibility...
Were both goggles damaged the same amount at the 780mW
setting...

If not... one pair may be reflecting while the other pair is absorbing
the Laser's energy...

Jerry

Last edited:
There's not that big of a difference, but I'd say the shooting glasses are a little worse. I did have the beam on them longer though to see if any light would make it through.

I went to walmart today looking for those glasses and they didn't have them. They do have a pair that blocks a lot of 445, but not anywhere near enough to call safe.

Bummer!

Wow, I really LIKE those tests. Uncertified glasses, certified glasses, non-sense glasses, etc

Great thread !

+1

Keep in mind though that wl has laser 'shades' and 'sheilds' and the free pair are the shades. The shades are only meant to block out extra rays and spectral reflections, not for direct hits, though I would trust either pair...

Ref

I went to walmart today looking for those glasses and they didn't have them. They do have a pair that blocks a lot of 445, but not anywhere near enough to call safe.

Bummer!
Walmart employee watching you with laser: Um, sir? May I ask what you are doing?

:p

Ill have to pick up a pair of those and test with my 400mW 455nm when it arrives. My Kenometer is feeling neglected, lately.

CDHDC

I noticed the WL in your test were at an angle to the beam. Will this have any bearing on the light being absorbed/reflected? Dunno, just a thought?

I tested it multiple times, and got the same results, so no, the angle didn't have an effect on how much light came through.

DJNY

I don´t know which Glenn goggles you have, but I would NEVER use them for playing with a >500mW 445nm laser!! The dot was to bright for playing with my 530mW 405nm for more than 15seconds. I have the yellow ones.

I wouldn't either... If they didn't work. Obviously they do work extremely well. If you tested them yourself, and got results like this why wouldn't you use them? I didn't buy these from Glenn. I just said he sold some like these.