Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

With Mohgasm gone...where to buy C6 kits?

IsaacT

So a buddy at work wants me to build a laser for him on the cheap. So I was looking for C6 kits am I couldn't find any? Are there any reasonably rices places to get C6 style hosts?

@JCranmer: Thanks for those links. I may pick up a couple sets of hosts/heatsinks for those of my friends who would like to fork over their money for my services ;)

My issue with Survival Lasers is that all of their stuff(that I have looked over atleast) is fairly pricey. Their Branded C6 Host Assembly is pictured with a copper heatsink, and for 19.99 that would be a good price, but to get the copper heatsink it is an extra 10 dollars. I purchased my safety glasses there, and they were helpful and sent out the right product when I received a different pair of glasses than I ordered, but I wouldn't necessarily buy their assemblies.

Yes he kinda pricey but how cheap was Matt's c6 with heatsink I forgot?

So has anyone done a real test on a copper vs aluminum heatsink? Is copper that much better and if so how much?

@JCranmer: Thanks for those links. I may pick up a couple sets of hosts/heatsinks for those of my friends who would like to fork over their money for my services ;)

My issue with Survival Lasers is that all of their stuff(that I have looked over atleast) is fairly pricey. Their Branded C6 Host Assembly is pictured with a copper heatsink, and for 19.99 that would be a good price, but to get the copper heatsink it is an extra 10 dollars. I purchased my safety glasses there, and they were helpful and sent out the right product when I received a different pair of glasses than I ordered, but I wouldn't necessarily buy their assemblies.

so what alternatives we have when we want to buy a LPF certified .
To specs , quality assembled laser ,aside from the B/S/T section and Optotronics and Dragon Lasers and CNI?

Because the way I see Survival Laser is what Lazerer used to be before they turned Chinese on us.

So has anyone done a real test on a copper vs aluminum heatsink? Is copper that much better and if so how much?

Im pretty sure the heat conductivity for copper vs aluminium is much higher.. ill go do some research

Cast iron

Aluminium
Copper
silver
Copper= Transfer fast, release slow
Aluminum= Transfer slow, release fast ,so copper heat sunk lasers would require different on/off cycles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

benmwv

Copper transfers (and therefore releases) heat faster than aluminum. A lot of people seem to think aluminum is better at getting rid of heat, which is wrong. Aluminum has a lower heat capacity so with two equal sized pieces the aluminum one may lower in temp faster, but it. Also raises faster.

The heat capacity of copper per gram is less than aluminum, but copper is more dense. Of two equal sized (not weight) pieces the copper will have higher thermal conductivity and higher heat capacity.

Rhd's point was that although copper feels much heavier it has a lower heat capacity per gram, so for two equal sized pieces the copper is a bit better, but not as much as most think.

I remember reading RHD's thread about copper vs aluminum. What I would like to see is a real world test in a c6 host changing only the heat sink. Does it increase the run time or off time? It would be nice to put this to bed and move on with life :horse:

DTR

In a C6 host the heatsink is basically thermally isolated so you should be looking mostly at the heat storage capacity of the heatsink you choose and coppers main advantage is the ability to transfer heat to another medium be it the air or your host body but being isolated that advantage is seriously reduced.

Well the copper one would still take a bit longer to heat up, so you could get longer run times with it. You'd however have to have a correspondingly longer cool down period, if as DTR said you were relying purely on the heat capacity of the material.

In all my C6 builds I add thermal grease (containing silver) between the heat sink and host. Thermal grease actually has a slightly higher thermal conductivity than thermal epoxy and it works quite well. I can feel the head heat up when in use. :beer:

Oh just to add to the mix with copper and aluminium modules and copper and aluminium heat sinks, which combination is best. ;) I know my Saik at 2.5 W with copper module and Aluminium heat sink has a couple of min run times without issue. After 2 -3 mins the heat sink is just getting warm...:) Obviously it depends on the diode, how hard its being pushed and how efficient it is. Generally speaking all copper would be better, but is it really needed? That's the question and its often more of an academic one. :beer:

Last edited:
Copper is superior for transferring heat(heat conductivity) and for storing it(volumetric heat capacity) over aluminum. Its actually a decently significant difference that is quite worth it if you have the option.

On the OP topic, I am working on getting C6 kits as well as kit versions of the lasers I sell. I hope to be able to offer them in a month or two. I would target prices close to Moh's.

Copper is superior for transferring heat(heat conductivity) and for storing it(volumetric heat capacity) over aluminum. Its actually a decently significant difference that is quite worth it if you have the option.

On the OP topic, I am working on getting C6 kits as well as kit versions of the lasers I sell. I hope to be able to offer them in a month or two. I would target prices close to Moh's.

Good so you be able to test this out and show some real numbers. Sorry to thread jack again Issac.