Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WIP - My LPM - Completed!

I picked up an ebay Ophir, a power distribution board from Laserbee and a heatsink from Mrcrouse. I combined them with a Ramsey regulated 12 volt power supply, a yellow LED voltmeter from ebay and some parts from Radio Shack:

DSCN1429.JPG

It's functional and I will use it to check my ebay pens, O-Like 250mW red and RT 3W blue soon. Very soon. I have some family obligations that preclude me from doing anything today, but my plan is to check them tomorrow.

Of course I need to find an enclosure and I will wire in a on/off switch and fuse. Currently it's a real time display and doesn't do anything like datalogging or connect to a computer, etc.

It's just a simple LPM for now. I hope one day it will grow into a full featured device. :)

-Bob

Last edited:

sinner

Re: WIP - My LPM

Good choice on the sensor , I must recommendone of those Datalogging add-on's from ARG , additional $35 to make it a full featured LPM.

Reactions: ARG

Look forward to seeing the finished product :) How much did you get the sensor for?

Look forward to seeing the finished product :) How much did you get the sensor for?

It was $225:

Ophir Laser Measurement 20c A 1 Y Sensor Laser Power Meter LPM 1706111 New | eBay

Might have overpaid a bit, but I'm glad to have it.

I just sent payment for a Delta Isis board. I'm waiting for a few 5 pin mini-DIN sockets from Hong Kong. I will build a cable to connect the Ophir to the LPM. Of course I'll only use 4 of the pins. Once I get the Isis, I will find an enclosure.

Oh, I went with the yellow display because it will be a while before I get a yellow laser so I figured I could see the display no matter what type of goggles I am wearing.

And, when I elevated the Ophir with a tripod and turned it on, the display went immediately to zero and stayed there. I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow before I check my pens.

-Bob

Tmack

Very nice work!. My voltmeter display just showed up too. I have to do some wiring myself :D

[Updated] Re: WIP - My LPM

Very nice work!. My voltmeter display just showed up too. I have to do some wiring myself :D

My wiring was easy because of Jerry's board. I don't have enough free time to sit down and solder complete assemblies any more so it's nice that people like Jerry, Alex and Trevor build them. I can then just connect their products together. Sure, it costs a little more but, for me at least, it's a fair trade off.

[edit]

Here's the pics of the cheap ebay laser pen tests:

Red #1 - 106.8mW
DSCN1434.JPG

Red #2 - 109.8mW
DSCN1435.JPG

Violet (Blue) - 30.9mW
DSCN1436.JPG

Green - 26.8mW
DSCN1437.JPG

I apologize for the crappy pics. I guess the next project is to come up with something that will hold the lasers square to the head. Aside from that, it looks like all the pens are overspec, especially the reds.

[/edit]

[edit2]

It's complete!

I was able to spend some quality time and get it assembled. Here are some pics:

The inside of the box:
DSCN1473.JPG

The top:
DSCN1474.JPG

The back. I freehanded the cutout for the Isis USB connector. The LED holes got kinda caddywompus on me. :) :
DSCN1475.JPG

The front:
DSCN1476.JPG

Assembled and ready to go:
DSCN1479.JPG

Testing my new 100mW 532nm AliExpress pointer:
DSCN1483.JPG

I've got some driver issues with the Isis board, but I should have them resolved soon and then I will be able to have nice, pretty graphs.

Here's a list of the parts:
Ophir head - ebay (clcen1)
split rail, regulated power supply for Ophir head - Bauer Electronics item OPHIR-S
Delta Isis data logging board - Trevor, Arg
Ramsey 12V regulated power supply - ramseyelectronics.com item: AC121
DC Power Jack - Radio Shack 274-1563
S-Video panel mount jack - Markertek #TCS7848
SPST power switch - Radio Shack 275-0693
12 volt red LED (5mm) - Radio Shack 276-0209
Snap-In Panel Mount LED holder - Radio Shack 276-079
Project Enclosure - Radio Shack 270-1803
LED voltage display (5 digit, yellow) - ebay (alice1101983)
DIY cable for Ophir made from spare S-Video cable
Vinyl bumpers from Home Depot for "feet" on the box (not shown in pics)
[/edit2]

-Bob

Last edited: