Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WINNERWINNERCHICKENDINNERThe Auction Sniper Thread-

In mentioning auction snipe services I got asked some questions... to those that I did not respond- here you go the ABCs of ebay auction sniping.

________new______
edit up date ( to avoid a double post) I sniped w/ 4 seconds left a 488nm techhood 12vdc by AS= while it was NOT a record low-(another won at $32 ) BUT SOMEHOW I *THINK* a bare diode w/ no bids was won with a last second bid of $2.00!!! free$hip.. BIN for the labby has been $51 or thereabouts..

==Should we start a DIBBS thread?? how can we do this and NOT be totally unorganized.
one thing I do say-- since I just won this lab laser I feel I should NOT bid on another and let some one else get the DEAL!! - I do have 2 others (I think) but they are not diode (DPSS those may be 473)
NOW I realize some thinking 'I wont put my finds here-- it will only lead to new bidders against me that are LPF'.. sad- but in some cases prolly true.. ... many of late had opined that LPF has become a nicer place & we should respect one another with things like 'calling dibbs' .. so post your finds--call dibbs and good luck.
of the AFAIK most sought-after items has been any/all green diodes-- would you like to win one at ~$8?? not gonna happen if bidders keep 'chipping you high bid.. only to stop bidding at the end-- I say ONLY bid w/ seconds left.. I won this one set at 4 seconds with no 'second shot" which may or may not be helpful ..
_________TYVM________

.. Feel free to give us your opinions and experiences.

The first of its kind was Auction Sniper or AS.
A good friend and experienced ebayer asked me to try AS and I knew he as going to get free 'snipes' from the referral ..

So I clicked the link and began to read-up.. My bro assured me that AS was legit and trustworthy and as far as I know the same may be true of other services.
My experience has been with AS only.

It has changed very little since I joined--myb 10 yrs ago??
but ebay has made changes with the intention of putting these services out of biz(very telling IMO)
... aside from bidding in your behalf AS runs searches for you-sends email- keeps track of all bids /wins/ loses etc

In one sitting I can find and 'pre-bid' many items or many of one item- to see a general trend in paying- I search ebay/completed listings- the green ones were wins- I try to get the same final price as the 'best deals'--you can limit your search to auctions only and see also what 'make offers' got taken/ accepted.
-- TBH
when I was asked for my eekbay PW --at first I was--no way!!
but DUH just how can AS bid for me w/o the PW.
Also IIRC I had to PP a few dollars into my AS account so they can take their 1% when you win an auction AS can get the 1% fee.
Since at first I had LOTS of free snipes I was not concerned with the wins w/o a free snipe.

A second set of accts was a good move.

I got 3 free snipes for referring myself so 6 FREE- I continued to invite friends to try AS and kept all the free snipes at one acct. where I went for higher priced items (1%) and used the free snipes acct & with low cost items at auction I used my acct w/o free snipes IF I wanted to snipe.

you don't get to choose when you use a free snipe- or should I say you cannot buy w/o using a free snipe USING AS to bid-- ONLY if you are trying to win using a free snipe.

So I had set up snipes on many items- not all ending at the same time. I got emails when my max bid was not enough-and a link to go and up my bid (if I want) I would hear about my wins before eekbay could. ;)

Now I know some will bash this thread and that's a shame- IF the knew AS like I do.. they would leave me/& this thread alone. It
NOT the same as Ebay bidding. :yabbmad:

BUT feebay would love to have your backing... :whistle:misguided as it is.

Free to try (3 times) no 1% or 25 cents- AND if you like it--encourage friends to join using your link and never give thought to the 1% or 25 cents:D. (until the freebees are gone)

PM me any email addy you want.
I am here also to answer any Qs you have BUT please- go to AS.com and read! check out the FaQs.. They can 'splain mo betta dan me. :p

hak;) be right back w/ a quick link for ya!

https://auctionsniper.com/

Last edited:

reserved for updates
8/21/2018= w/ 4 seconds left I Snipped a sweet deal at $37 free$hip techhood 488nm labby.
--you likey? set up a snipe an myb you will win..
LIST of most desired 'gear' currently listed at greedbay
1) the 488nm blue- labby and bare diodes--Lowest win on the lab was $32--- lowest on mayb the diode inside a freak win (snipe myb?) at ONLY $2!!!!!!!!!! need to watch that seller-- he may have caused this with the choice of title words$$

2) any green diodes including the 520 1W highly sought AFTER and prices all over the place. I am trying to snipe a505 diode fo $8 or less. (snipes are set for all listed)

3) Red diodes-- from flashlight beam to tight beam w/ good divergence.

4) the good-kind drivers--those NOT made for LEDs.. you know who you are.

5) remember AS can ONLY be used for auctions-- not BIN or make offer..
IF you do your searches at AS its simple to quickly bid on the ones you would like to win-w/ afew clicks! - you will get an instant message via email when you win and can easily/quickly modify or stop any other sniped items. (I usually lower my bid & do not expect to win--so if I do win it will be a great price .
I have bid on as many as 10 (same) items -- and most were loses.. but some won.. afaik AS still gets 25 cents or 1% (whichever is larger)
hope this helps you make wins and get best prices--if you are not signed-up at AS please PM me for a link!! (important to me)
whats on your wish list??

hakster

Last edited:
kinda busy ATM..
Calling dibbs again
new update posts ( made same at the deals/discounts thread)
searching (so far) does NOT show any members calling dibbs on an optic sold by Blab13??- ~ 6 HRS LEFT- dibbs needs to be post at least IMO one day or more before end... and follow up after auction end.
I was surprised that no member placed dibbs--
But if YOU are not interested I will snipe it NOW.

in looking at several recent auctions including mine-- the winners never bid until last seconds.. some bid in tiny bites.. slowly bidding long enough to bid more than the last bidder.. and in MOST auctions these fools never win.. and then another 'nibbler' does the same thing... so its bad enough that we need to work so hard winning (over strangers) but being outbid by another here.. sad== I would never do that to you.

A.S. gets nothing when you do NOT win.
I would guess that for every win, I lose myb 5 or 6 auctions--even more if there are LOTS of auctions for same items by many sellers. And that is VERY easy if you search using A.S.-- you will only see auctions (by default) and can snipe any or all w/o much effort. but to see completed listings--in order to get a feel for the buyers market ATM.. I search advance at eekbay -- Right now ebay lets us look at recent ended auctions-- going back only to June15..
ps if your AS search show no listings, that may mean no auctions listed-- BIN or make offers are not 'snipe-able'
.....anyone calling dibbs ATM for '1W 520nm'? some lucky bidders won for record low- $40 and $42.

seems like those w/Ball lens do not get high bids..

I picked up an NGD7475 on an auction for $84. I didn't know at the time it had four other people bidding on it. One went for $53, IIRC. Not really looking for a 488nm labby. I've got one in a build and a new diode in my stock. Mine outputs 135 mW and is rock steady at just under 488nm for over a minute of run time.

That's great Paul..

If I really wanted to win a 1W 520 I would snipe every auction until I did.

People are funny.. some see '21 bids' and that scares them off- AND if you click to show auto bidding it would be a much higher number-

-common thread-

the member/winner who bid last ihad hardly ever bid until those last seconds. Check the time ended and time for last *winning* bid in some cases the winner did bid earlier but in very many they only bid when it was a very low $$ some like to open for a penny ....THEN

come back ONLY at the end to snipe it. while there is some similarities between a live/'real' auction and those at ebah there are also some big differences between them.. a 'live' auction happens in minutes not 7 days..at both the only bid that matters is the winning one.

I suspect that many early bird bidders , especially those w/ zero or very low FDBack #s. are possibly shills--same at a live auction.. the aim is to get mo $$. They usually stop bidding near the end..wth?
.. so I ask again-- anyone bidding NOW for a 1W 520??? if so ==post that or PM me to take down my snipes.
I will try later.. I will also ask at my 'Sniper' thread..
btw IMHO its equally rude to call dibs and then we get NOTHING from you>>> didja win? ashamed of winning? not me!! lol

Last edited:
You have me very curious now, Len. It seems you are saying that even if you were the highest bidder a sniper might take it away from you in the last second. I put a maximum bid of $90.00 for the diode I won at $84.00. Could a sniper have taken it away from me for less than that by waiting to run the clock out?

BTW, my NDG7475 showed up today in the mail. I purchased it on the 13th. It was shipped out by speedPACK, a new shipping method that you can only track through eBay. It is nice and new and has full length pins with no solder on them. And I received it ten days after paying for it.

Last edited:
that's quick and looking good. Okay
I won another auction.. and I hope it lights a fire under somebody-- another 18mmX3 Xcube 'defective' had to get my sniper to bid for me w/ 4 seconds- it had only one bid this AM and it was a penny.. so I got A.S.> to bid for me w/ a max of 4.99 and NO seconds shots..
I have no idea who else was bidding BUT they are not too smart as my sniper only had to bid a few more times for me (& this was technically after the end of auction) and my last AS bid was .06.. had another been auto bidding w/ eekbay- their max would have won IF it was higher than my $4.99 so yeah another 18mm cube & I hope it is as perfect as the one I just got- ship was crazy fast. In my other cube for a penny posts I gave up the sellers username-- and searching Xubes ets results- that is how I found m new china goodbuddy and partner Jingdong Tian- apparently a common name in China- there are several at Fbook w/ same name. He sent a pic that that shows in his Fbook so who the hell wants to call dibbs in another 18mm cube????

coz I will snatch another one up.. I wrote him/them about the 1000X USB digital endoscope/camera/microscope- the next kewl thing to have on YOUR laser work bench--IF they work-I need to buy a sample before getting Jing to get a case of them.. and suggesting that we buy one.. they come in several mounts- I only like one- some sellers offer different color barrels- I like the white.. anyway I see many uses ( especially for an old nearly blind man) do not buy the BS that some sellers have a 10MP version--BULL these are ALL 2MP find a listing for 10MP then read the description/specs- right there it reads 2MP.. I will go get a link and pic.. myb someone has one already..

I have a few PBS cubes from purchases several years ago. What is the AR coating on these cubes, Len? I will have a look at the ones you've been getting and see if it is something I might have a use for.

Coated for AR blue.. from an OLD special order GB.. tested and gotten >5yrs ago-- I sent you the two indepenant testers 'report.'
Not saying that IF another order (last was 100pcs and took ~16 MONTHS to fill out then send each buyers money THEN the OP paid fpr the order which AFAIK took another 5 weeks for the the 10mmX10mmX10mm to be made-- shipped to the OP then reshipped- I got in when there were 'leftovers' (3 cubes) and when talk of combining two 44s ( which did not exist 5 yrs ago)-- I tracked down the last ones from the GB-- & what I got is now gone... BUT afaik there are a VERY few listed at ekbay for $50 each-- my guess it that the seller prolly has fewer than 10 left..

I have NO desire to run a almost 2 year GB..and how can we be 100% sure that another batch of 100 will be the same--AND we do not have FREE expert 'testers/reviewers' like the OP had.. cooked cubes anyone? I want mine welldone--2HRS of many more W and for a LONG cooking time-result was NO DAMAGE-- even from KW power!! from a big outfit these would be ~$120 each Plus ship.

I know several members are looking for a cube to combine two NUBM44s. It will need to withstand a great deal of power as the size of the beams entering the cube will only be a couple mm long. So a power density of 50 watts/cm^2 won't be nearly enough.

Last edited:
?? -- afaik those members have or will soon have the cubes that I assure you are made for combining pair of 44s.. so , in time we will see... and since I gave my personal warrantee.... they cannot lose much.. suggest you re-read the PM I worked hard on..

thankx for your concern...hakzaw1

?? -- afaik those members have or will soon have the cubes that I assure you are made for combining pair of 44s.. so , in time we will see... and since I gave my personal warrantee.... they cannot lose much.. suggest you re-read the PM I worked hard on..

thankx for your concern...hakzaw1

I saw that, Len. Thanks for doing this. :D

I have a few PBS cubes from purchases several years ago. What is the AR coating on these cubes, Len? I will have a look at the ones you've been getting and see if it is something I might have a use for.

It would be super if anyone could check these out to discover what they were designed for- (I thought you were speaking of the high power dual diode cubes for blue 44s.. totally different.. ATM Alan just thinks he know the ones I won are 'RGB'

which I understand if he got that idea by testing..in the future he will be asking a lot of Qs at places he buys from for ebay. I imagine some clue is in the pics w/ LED flashlight-- waiting on reply about the pics w/ black background-- they look photoshopped and mybe they came from the net or some other place. .. I should have mine tested an check and post pics asap. I have a second cube coming soon so I can compare the two.. hope both are very much the same.... consistent. looks like he has at least 20 the 'same'

(You have me very curious now, Len. It seems you are saying that even if you were the____________ highest bidder a sniper might take it away from you in the last second. I put a maximum bid of $90.00 for the diode I won at $84.00. Could a sniper have taken it away from me for less than that by waiting to run the clock out?)
_________
no UNLESS the snipe was set for $91 then YERS

Read the explanations at the AS site -- IIRC.. for starters - its not easy with seconds left to 'up' your max bid...
and do not forget that if you are a bidder. using only ebay. when others bid (early) and they out bid you, until you raise your max high bid.. and since AS only 'joins' the bidding when you say..like 7 seconds--AS locks in. it will keep biding for you until you win or your high bid was not high enough.. I have used AS *and* watched the auction end- after bidding ' closes-' the last two bidders bid are the only ones that count.. you cannot up your bid fast enough. w/o a sniper. if your high was $90 and you sniped- A.S. only bids enough to outbid the others. Then Stopping at $84 Even if that takes some time to end after closing time. Had your max been $79.50 . the other bidder at $ 80 wins IF that was their high bid max.

look at the completed listings- see the price ranges and if you ONLY want at a certain max price-- let A.S. help you stick to that.
have had 6 same items sniped.
same time.

you can make A.S. stop if you want when the number of items you want are won.
you can have wins/losses sent to your smart phone. same with yur max bid- as soon as you are 'out' you can click to up your max and/or click 'second shots' which only ups your bid if needed--honestly-- that feature is a sucker move IMHO.. its the same as having a high max bid..

the goal is to never win at a record high price!! of course NEVER higher than the BINs plus shipping.. duh!?

AS gets 35 cents or 1% which ever is highest. BUT if you have free snipes and bid-- one will be used if you win. to avoid this I have second accts==ebay-A.S. and PPal-- ..

please send/post any Qs.
but do read what is at Auctionsniper.com
. time to sleep.
bbl
somebody call dibbs on the blab1391 optics listings..if not I sure will snipe if nobody calls dibbs.. Dibbs calling and the ability to coordinate our clothing are the only two things that separate us from the great apes.
:p:wtf:

Last edited:
Yeah, $90.00 was the most I was willing to spend of that diode. What I didn't know was there were four other people bidding on that diode. I would have loved to have won it for $53.00.....the lowest price so far that one of these sold at. I bid on this one on the first day it was put up for auction, and because the auction was scheduled to end just after 1:15 A.M., PST. I figured few would wait up that late to bid on it in the final minutes.

,,,the winners never bid until last seconds.. some bid in tiny bites.. slowly bidding long enough to bid more than the last bidder.. and in MOST auctions these fools never win.. and then another 'nibbler' does the same thing... .

OK, I take offense at that :thinking: :rolleyes:

Personally - I don't like snipers, they MAY have their place, but II think it is not as effective as a live bidder IMHO.
I hold with this after 18 years, coming up to 1000 feedback, 100% positive - over 99% from purchases and many bid in the last few seconds.

I never use a sniper. However, at times my heart can get in the way of my money and I bid more than I would have. HOWEVER, I very seldom regret it ,because those are usually more unique items, You can't do that with a sniper.

Good example is a discontinued china pattern that my wife loves. Some large "sets" are available at times that have unique pieces or there are "rare" items in this china that can be listed only once or twice in 5 years. Sniping isn't going to do a lot of good. Either people are going to want it or not. Your heart sometimes gets involved so you bid a little more to get it.

IMHO, often knowing more than the other person about what exactly it is, what it is worth or if the price of the items will go up over time is more helpful

Same with some lasers - Among other things, I have had a Coherent Check on my list of email items from ebay for over 5 years. I just don't want it bad enough to pay what they are asking . On the other hand - for a Laser Phyiscs 300WC whitelight I might :)

I get that a sniper comes in handy for common items that are posted regularly, but for those I can usually get it later for the same deal, if I want it and don't mind waiting.

SO, when I bid, I will usually make a couple cautious bids to test the water a few minutes before, especially if something appears dead. Small bump and then wait for last 2-8 seconds before final bid. If I really want it.

It also helps to have a very fast computer and a gigabit fiber ethernet connection

BTW Len, I just bought one of the newgazer 400mw RGB whitelight modules you mentioned a little while ago, I'll give it a try and see what I think :) Doesn't look bad for less than $50.00 and I can hook it up with the $15 PT-20 galvos/amps, I bought a SELEM this year. :na: