Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Windows 10 slow?

Benm

I'm affraid you'll have to get used to the subscription business model for some software though.

Things like photoshop, lightroom and perhaps premiere and after effects would be good candidates. Buying a license for these products is quite expensive, but the subscription model is quite affordabe.

People will surely still pirate them, but there are a lot of people that are willing to pay a small monthly fee for their software to have it fully legal and up to date, but would never be willing to pay $1000 upfront for a lifetime license even if that included eternal upgrades.

When it comes to windows the actual cost is very low. Assuming a computer would last only 2 years, the cost for using the OS would be under $1 a month. Over a decade or so it would still be cheaper to buy a transferrable license, but technically you can only use that on 1 system.

Computers are often replaced because they are outdated rather than defective, and can serve a second life as media player connected to your tv, a nas, or whatever you deem fit. The license that dies with the device has no problem there, you can just keep using it until the hardware finally fails. If you have a single transferable license you can use that on your new computer, but technically/legally cannot keep using it on your older machine (though in practice it would not be that big a deal).

Yeah, the subscription based services especially for Adobe products is pretty decent. Often design houses will upgrade their Adobe software as new versions come out, paying $600 or more for Photoshop and Illustrator + some other apps that aren't worth very much in a bundle, or paying $300-400 for single licenses, if not more.

At $20/mo you can license a single product, or $50/mo, get access to the whole suite -- not just some "web" suite, or "print" suite but the entire collection -- which is pretty good if you upgrade each year anyway. It's also nice if you're only using something for a short term project, rather than investing in something that you'll only get a ROE if you use it constantly for at least a year.

On another note: uh oh, Firefox's vsize-max-contiguous is at 291MB, down from 1.5GB or so. I can already feel it getting slower.

Benm

I guess it depends a bit on what you do. Adobe offers a very good deal for both lightroom and photoshop combined to a 'photography package' that is about half the price of an individual product here.

If you also want illustrator, premiere or after effects i suppose the package that includes everything is attractive in price, and you can drop the subscription if you don't need it for a while.

As far as browsers go: I personally use chrome because of some add ons, but the included edge browser doesn't seem bad at all. It's certainly fast, compliant with most standards, and not a huge memory hog either.

The latest version of IE still gives me huge problems on font rendering and such, but edge seems to do a lot better.

As a web developer i have my specific needs, but i can see people sticking with edge really, since it juts works out of the box quite well. For me the downside of that is having to keep things compatible with that as well, but luckily it's not that hard for most things anymore.

I've started to dislike firefox because it doesnt work the same across platforms in all cases. Somethimes things work/render/etc fine in firefox on windows, but still muck up in firefox for macs. Chrome seems to be much more consistent between platforms to the point where i'm reasonably confident that something that works in chrome on win 10 will also work for chrome on macs, chromebooks and such.

Windows 10 is slow if you keep all the stock rubbish running, but if you slim it down it's definitely faster than previous OS's. If you care about battery life on mobile devices Cortana should be the first thing to go, followed by all live tiles. Then the horrifically un-optimized search indexer (only a good idea if you have good file organization).

Search on windows has always pissed me off. With the best will in the world, it's never worked properly since search went "instant" in Vista. They should have left it as they did in XP if they couldn't copy the Mac's "spotlight" properly, which its evident they were trying to do.

In terms of the OP, I didn't manage to see what their computer spec was, but perhaps I didn't read far enough. I've found that generally, performance of Windows 10 appears to equal Windows 8 or 7 on decent hardware. Windows 7 and 8 were similar, although 8 did perform some operations quicker, and I haven't noticed any slowdown with 10 that's specific to the OS itself. I'm one of the few people who really likes 8.1. It's noticeable faster than 7 in some aspects and it's not as "NSA" as 10.

It seems that although the system requirements jumped massively from XP -> Vista (Vista required at least 1GB of RAM to function properly, which was a seismic increase from XP's requirements) and Windows 7 wanted a bit more to be happy. Since then the requirements haven't really changed in practical terms, so I'd say if OP has 2-4GB of RAM and not a crap processor the problem isn't inherent to Windows (which it rarely is).

Last edited:

Benm

RAM is often a problematic factor though. For win 7 or 10 you really need 2 GB installed for it to run acceptably. Win 7 will install on 1 GB systems, but the experience is pretty terrible.

Then again if it didn't work well win 7 it probably will not fare well with win 10 either, but afaik most systems that work well under 7 or 8 will also be okay on 10, there seems to be no hardware requirement gap between them.

^yes that's effectively what I was asserting. A PC good for Windows 7 is genuinely fit for 8 or 10. And yes, 7 is a no go on 1 gig. I've experienced it :thinking:

My laptop came with 7 originally, had 4g of ram, and right around a 2g processor. I don't recall at the moment the exact specs on the processor though. I just installed 8g of ram, which has made a noticeable difference. And I'm seriously considering upgrading to a SSD.

Yeah, the subscription based services especially for Adobe products is pretty decent. Often design houses will upgrade their Adobe software as new versions come out, paying $600 or more for Photoshop and Illustrator + some other apps that aren't worth very much in a bundle, or paying $300-400 for single licenses, if not more.

At $20/mo you can license a single product, or $50/mo, get access to the whole suite -- not just some "web" suite, or "print" suite but the entire collection -- which is pretty good if you upgrade each year anyway. It's also nice if you're only using something for a short term project, rather than investing in something that you'll only get a ROE if you use it constantly for at least a year.

On another note: uh oh, Firefox's vsize-max-contiguous is at 291MB, down from 1.5GB or so. I can already feel it getting slower.

The problem is that not everybody needs the latest, greatest version but still uses it very often. And what if you're out in the fiend and need the software but your system crashed and there's no internet access? I refuse to install crap that requires internet activation.

Dcrets

Hi guys. Y'all are pretty much talking over my head but I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I have Win7 and am tempted to take the free upgrade to 10. I have 6gb of ram and plenty of hard drive. Pretty much all I do is internet and email. Out of habit I use the Opera browser. No high demand stuff. Don't see the need in this case but I usually do go for the latest and greatest. Should I or shouldn't I?

The problem is that not everybody needs the latest, greatest version but still uses it very often. And what if you're out in the fiend and need the software but your system crashed and there's no internet access? I refuse to install crap that requires internet activation.

I definitely don't use subscription-based services like that, but for most people it'll still be better for them to have it if they're interested in keeping updated. I'm still using old versions of Photoshop and Flash (for making graphics, not for web), and of course Office stuff. I just don't need the latest. For design houses though, it's probably worthwhile, since they'd be paying out $600 a year anyway under the old regime anyway.

For everyone else who needs it in the field... programs like Photoshop only check in once every 30 days or something -- about the length of your monthly licensing. Between then, you can run in offline mode. It's not that bad.

If it's really a bother, I'd probably look for a software crack. :) It's like those NoCD cracks for games, or to avoid having to haul around dongles.

My laptop came with 7 originally, had 4g of ram, and right around a 2g processor. I don't recall at the moment the exact specs on the processor though. I just installed 8g of ram, which has made a noticeable difference. And I'm seriously considering upgrading to a SSD.

I've used an SSD for over 5 years now in any personal machine I own, and for the last 3 I've had one at work so to be fair I've probably been spoiled. An SSD basically ends "slow periods" caused by the hard drive, which is usually the bottlekneck in any system. I could never go back to a traditional HD now.

Hi guys. Y'all are pretty much talking over my head but I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I have Win7 and am tempted to take the free upgrade to 10. I have 6gb of ram and plenty of hard drive. Pretty much all I do is internet and email. Out of habit I use the Opera browser. No high demand stuff. Don't see the need in this case but I usually do go for the latest and greatest. Should I or shouldn't I?

With your system spec you should be fine. You'd have to try really hard to use more than 6GB of RAM.

Windows 7 support ended January 2015 (so no new features from MS) BUT extended support doesn't end until 2020, so you've got four more years of security updates to look forward to. You have until the end of this month to take advantage of the free windows 10 (and to revoke it if you don't like it) so the choice is ultimately yours. I personally wouldn't bother, but I'm not the greatest fan of 10.

Last edited:

Benm

Presuming MS will actually end the option to get a free upgrade i'd say try it now, you can go back to what you had for a month, and still have a few weeks to evaluate win 10.

The problem is that after the end of july you will be 'stuck' with win 7 unless you pay for the update, and your system will eventually become unsupported (though that will take a few more years).

I think MS will somehow still allow free upgrades in the future though, may be presented as one time offers and such. The last thing they probably want is an XP situation where a shitload of legacy systems get stuck on a very old version.

Smartly 10 will run on virtually any system that runs 7, apart from very minimal systems that run 7 in 32 bit mode with 1 gig of ram - most of those arent systems that were sold with win 7 on them in the first place.

Dcrets

Thanks. I can always go back if there's a problem so why not, right? Sounds good.

Benm

I think the option to go back lasts for only 30 days officially, so make sure that all your hardware is working properly (including things that you might rarely use like scanners and printers).

Yeah, I think Microsoft is bluffing. It's not like people who wouldn't take it for free now would be willing to pony up to upgrade later. Microsoft's main goal was to get people on 10 anyway, not the meager amount of money they'd earn from people who wouldn't even bother with 8.x.

I just hope the annoying nag updates go away.

One interesting thing is that the "free" Windows upgrade is non-transferable. It's tied to the hardware. If or when I actually want Windows 10, it'll probably be after a hardware upgrade, in which case I'd have to get another license anyway. I won't have to worry about that unless my machine lasts to 2020 or something (maybe it will!)

Windows 10 is tied specifically to the motherboard yes. You can swap out everything else, except he mobo.

It's basically a downside specifically to people who build their own PCs, and no one else as I see it.