Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Windows 10 , Have you?

I can't remember what Winamp's pro version actually had that the free one didn't. The free one was pretty good in its day.

Nowadays, I use Foobar2000. It has really good format support, customization, and plugins, and can even use Winamp visualizers like Milkdrop in it. I'd say it's the best player there is now. I even use its mobile version, which is in active alpha/beta.

I actually don't remember what the difference was either, I think on the non pro version some options and custimizations were just greyed out.

Don't really listen to music all that much anymore, mostly just using spotify now, which is great for having a good selection anytime, anywhere, and also moving from one device to another more or less seamlessly.

Benm

Meh, i don't pay for music ;)

But i also like having the actual mp3s on my harddisk as i travel quite a bit and that comes with times of no or marginal internet connections sometimes.

I used to work for radio a bit and like to tinker with some post-processing as well - really nice winamp plugin: Stereo Tool 8.00 (also works standalone via virtual audio cables etc).

To me it's strictly a matter of convenience... I think I bought 3 cds total in my life, one was a gift, and two were random crap for a road trip..

I'll buy CDs of artists I really liked, and to get a high quality rip of something that is hard to find, but most of what I have was not bought.

It's also convenient sometimes. Plus, I can use the digital $1 "free credit" from not rushing things with Amazon prime to grab a single or two if I want it.

Benm

I guess i'm old enough to have lived in the age where downloading music was not that easy and cd's actually were a viable option for real world music use. I didn't buy that many but at least burned copies.

I can imagine that people well under 30 these days never have seen the need to buy a cd or dvd really. I suppose internet killed the physical carriers once and for all, and good riddance ;)

Well I'm only partially "going to" by installing a separate drive to install and register Win10 with this computer's motherboard before they expire the "free" copy after July 29th. I still suspect that they won't really stop offering it for free, but whatever.

Then I'll just swap back my old hard drive so I can keep using my old OS.

I still have cloned drives for ALL odds my upgraded pcs. Have not felt the need to go back though.

In personal pc news, upgraded to gtx 1080 for main pc and getting 4k TV to use as monitor tomorrow. At 1920x1080 and 38040x1080 the card has been phenomenal, didn't even bother OCing yet.

ped

I have a GTX980Ti and a 4K (49") TV.

I was distinctly underwhelmed by the picture.

Meh.

Well the good news is, if I don't like the way it looks I can scale it back to 1920x1080, at 120hz. The resolution literally goes to waste if you're too far also.

49" is too large for a close up monitor. At 40" I think I'll have a reasonably good pixel density though.

Benm

I guess there is a reason some things are sold as TV's intended to be viewed froma distance and others as monitors intended to be viewed up close.

49" is probably meant as a tv. There is little reason to have 4k on that screen size if you site 5 meters away from it, it's mostly marketing. Your eyesight is probably not good enough to see the difference between 2k and 4k in that setup, unless you are a hawk ;)

Can tell you for a fact there's no difference between 1080p and 2160 past 7 feet personally, with a 50" TV. Different story for a screen at 2-3 feet from my face. Should have my 4k 40" tomorrow.

32" 4k computer monitors are quite nice though. :) I don't know if I'd want something bigger though. At two feet it is just right. Larger would just mean it would be further away and effectively the same screen size to my eyes.

Benm

32" 4k computer monitors are quite nice though. :) I don't know if I'd want something bigger though. At two feet it is just right. Larger would just mean it would be further away and effectively the same screen size to my eyes.

I guess everyone has different needs. Personally i like to be able to see individual pixels (i do a lot of web design and graphical work that requires me to get stuff right to the pixel).

As i'm very slightly nearsighted (-1.25 or so) having very high resolutions would prevent me from being able to see that at normal working distance. Something like 1920x1200 at 24 inches or so is ideal for me. For a larger screen 2560x1600 would be nice at 30 inches or so, though i don't really need it.

I like the 16:10 aspect ratio over 16:9 as i do quite a lot of (php) programming too and having more vertical space is nice for that.