Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Windows 10 , Have you?

If MS gets the absolute minium hardware requirements of 10 to say as low as those of 7 until 2020/2021 there should be no problem. In theory that would mean running with up to 11 year old hardware (that came stock with win 7 in 2009). As of now the minimum hardware requirements mostly match - 1 gb or ram for 32 bit, 2 gb for 64 bit, though windows 7 already slowed to a croll on < 2gb in most cases.

Actually I hear Win10 doesn't work really well on < 3GB of RAM, and I can confirm that just firing up my system + opening a browser and not much else: uses 2.3 GB out of 8GB.

I mean they do not have a hardcoded limit, you can run it on 512MB if you want, but it'll be unusable due to constant Swap space usage.

Yup, all the time. Whenever the fan turns on I check the task manager and sure enough, always search indexing.

Changing the power management wouldn't do anything, I always have it on the most power conservative power setting. I'll check again, but I doubt there's anything I missed turning off.

@ARG I spent months starting with Win 7 learning to tweak prior to install...first gettng rid of unnecssary win services...using I think it is Black Viper...I can post if you like...then getting rid of as much win loggiing as I can....no indexing on the SSD OS (only on the second data HD) no, auto backup....then using AIK for deploying after imaging...

I have not done this with Win 10 yet because after fooling with the tech preview I decided it really has nothing at all that I need.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

So, I am sticking with Win 7

Benm

Actually I hear Win10 doesn't work really well on < 3GB of RAM, and I can confirm that just firing up my system + opening a browser and not much else: uses 2.3 GB out of 8GB.

I mean they do not have a hardcoded limit, you can run it on 512MB if you want, but it'll be unusable due to constant Swap space usage.

How much memory is used doesn't really reflect the requirement. If it's available it will be filled to a certain degree, memory management on windows is not that tight and really doens't have to be.

The laptop i'm using right now runs 8.1 with only a browser open, and shows 2.8 out of 8 gig of memory being used. Don't ask me what for, but i'm sure it would run just fine if it had only 2 gigs installed ;)

How much memory is used doesn't really reflect the requirement. If it's available it will be filled to a certain degree, memory management on windows is not that tight and really doens't have to be.

The laptop i'm using right now runs 8.1 with only a browser open, and shows 2.8 out of 8 gig of memory being used. Don't ask me what for, but i'm sure it would run just fine if it had only 2 gigs installed ;)

Ah yes, I have noticed that Windows in general tends to use up more RAM if it has more available.

But that just tells me that if it doesn't have as much RAM to begin with, it would work on low RAM capacity, but it'd probably be noticeably slower.

In any event, I believe I'm seeing proof of Windows 10 being noticeably faster and more responsive given enough RAM for it's own requirements, than Win7 in same circumstances. That's good enough for me.

I have 16 GB and win 7 uses 5-6 GB constantly. IIRC win 10 used a similar amount, if not slightly more, before I uninstalled it...:beer:

Benm

MS might try to push for updating to 10 and making it appear 'mandatory', but it really is not. Security updates for 7 are to be continued until 2020 regardless.

One thing to consider is -why- you want to stick with 7. There could be perfectly good reasons for it such as unavailability of windows 10 compatible drivers for your legacy hardware.

If there are drivers for all your hardware however, it might seem silly to stick to an older windows version, so you should take the upgrade.

I think we should give MS a chance here, if they can make it work with older hardware, let them. Older systems can benefit by keeping up, allowing recent software to run on your existing hardware. It also seems like they want 10 to be the final version, improving it without introducing new major versions any longer.

This would be a good thing, since it'd prevent users from getting stuck on older hardware and the windows version that came with for to technical reason at all.

After all the nonsense with the incorporated spyware; keylogging, search history reporting and their apparent need to have access to my personal data etc, I have zero interest in supporting Win 10. So no, I wont be giving Win 10 another chance, unless due to popular demand/new legislation MS is forced to change their policies. I also can not agree with the underhand techniques they are now resorting to, to try and force win 10 on people's computers. Most unwitting users will probably end up upgrading, even if they dont want to, as once win 10 starts installing itself the majority will believe they have no other option.

I have selected the "search for updates but allow me to decide when to download and install them" option. I also unclicked the option to install optional updates. What did MS try to do yesterday whilst I was selecting which important security updates to install? It selected an optional update to install! I searched through the optional updates and MS had automatically selected the Win 10 download! I deselected it and something came up so I decided to install later. When I came back and rebooted the computer MS had kindly re-selected the optional update...To say Im not very impressed is an understatement.:beer:

Last edited:

OVNI

FWIW: I have Windows-7 on a partition in a Mac clone. The computer boots thru a Mac Boot Loader to allow me to select from a variety of installs to boot from. I discovered Windows has a hard time pushing updates through that setup. I consider it a feature.

When I do want an update, I cause the computer to boot from the BIOS directly to the Windows partition and installations work fine.

OVNI

Any good modern operating system uses as much memory as it can to cache stuff. I'm not sure if it was a change in how the stats were reported, or actually a culture change in how OSes were programmed, but post the XP era the focus shifted from "I've got 75% of my RAM free, I'm good" to "I've got 4GB of RAM, now my OS can precache everything so it'll run faster". The latter in actual fact makes far more sense, RAM is insanely fast and having most of it sat there unused when it could be precaching apps is a, quite literal, waste of money.

On the subject of Windows 10, I have at work because we had to, we authenticate with Azure and need to do Windows 10 for compliance. I have not and will not at home, I prefer 8.1 (one of the few who does) and my main computer is now the Mac which does not run Windows, although I believe Windows on a Mac is supposed to be a stellar experience.

(Also - I never spotted this before - but software does have a hardcoded RAM limit. Although it can sometimes be altered by hacks and trickery, the OS installer will refuse to run below a certain amount. For XP I think it was 64 or 32MB, and for Vista it was 512MB).

After all the nonsense with the incorporated spyware; keylogging, search history reporting and their apparent need to have access to my personal data etc, I have zero interest in supporting Win 10. So no, I wont be giving Win 10 another chance, unless due to popular demand/new legislation MS is forced to change their policies. I also can not agree with the underhand techniques they are now resorting to, to try and force win 10 on people's computers. Most unwitting users will probably end up upgrading, even if they dont want to, as once win 10 starts installing itself the majority will believe they have no other option.

I have selected the "search for updates but allow me to decide when to download and install them" option. I also unclicked the option to install optional updates. What did MS try to do yesterday whilst I was selecting which important security updates to install? It selected an optional update to install! I searched through the optional updates and MS had automatically selected the Win 10 download! I deselected it and something came up so I decided to install later. When I came back and rebooted the computer MS had kindly re-selected the optional update...To say Im not very impressed is an understatement.:beer:

Use Never10.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

But yes, this sly bullshit put me off as well, and has caused a fair few problems with our clients. Apple may be stringent about wanting iOS devices running the latest, and not allowing you to downgrade, but at least they don't quite literally force you to upgrade in the first place.

Unfortunately, this is the way things are going and eventually I suspect all computer systems will be more appliance-like with little customisation offered to the user and the computer merely operates on a given set of instructions that it is programmed to accept. This is already happening as a method of disabling malware. Windows has been restrictive since the security model of Vista saw UAC introduced - which is way more than just a prompt - it allows writes to protected areas of the registry and system files to be redirected to a safe location, and the Mac OS is really starting to get that way now with its rootless technology. The other day I wanted to change the notification sound of the messages app and I had to reboot into a console and manually disable the security feature, make the change, then re-enable the feature. Believe me, this is happening!

Last edited:

Benm

Memory used and required are vastly different things indeed.

Currently i only have 3 chrome tabs open, and winamp running for some music, memory usage in the task manager indicates 3.9 gb out of 8 used.

Obviously i could do what i'm doing right now with 2 gb installed easily, but i've been working on this machine using photoshop, komodo, filezilla, openoffice and what not since last reboot weeks ago (i never reboot unless required).

If i were to do somehting that needs heaps of ram, like editing a poster-sized photoshop image, it will free the memory required for that with little delay.

Benm

Oh well, it still works just fine, also under win 10. I use it mostly for its DSP plugin support, but its a good player in general too.

Oh man... that takes me back a decade to making custom visualizations. Might just have to download a cracked version again.

Cracked?? You could pay for Winamp?? People cracked it??? Jeez lol

I've been an iTunes loyal since about '08 when I started using Apple devices, I got so used to it and amassed a huge library and now have about a bazillion playlists so I couldn't really go anywhere else now anyway.

:crackup:

I remember specifically downloading cracked "pro" versions yes. It would be very fair to say that up to 2010 or so, I paid for very very few of my programs :p