Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will Laser Beam Scare Crows?

They annoy me often rambling early in the morning and disturbing my sleep. Will any 5mW green laser purchased on DX or TD scare those crows? I don't want to blind them completely but to scare them for good.

Never seems to do the trick at my house. Im too nice to shine a strong laser and see if that works.

Crows are smart. Even if you did have a high power laser they probably would just come right back. You need a scarecrow. Something with some action to it.

Tj, is right. I feel the same way as you, Taco. I actually am very careful to look for birds before I point my lasers into trees... I would feel really bad blinding a bird actually!

I remembered seeing this video from DragonLasersfanman. I'm not sure if he is directly affiliated with Dragon Lasers, but there is kind of a questionable statement below in the video description...

Quote:

"NOTE: Using lasers to harass birds is not cruel or inhumane because unlike the human eye, a birds eye will not be injured by high power portable green lasers."

Hmmmm.... :wtf:

Last edited:
what an IDIOT! Lets think about this.... How does a birds eye look, like its solid black right... So you are telling me even though a human eye isnt as dark it still damages worse than a birds eye.. I would bet a birds eye would get damaged faster and worse.

Yeah he's a moron. He is trying to justify pointing the laser at birds. Eye balls are eye balls. They are all soft tissue with a focusing lens, and open pupil.

sinner

I've tried this one morning with my 200mW Red which i made a long time ago, i was actually flashing the laser on to a tree about 50m away when i saw all the birds in there just flew away as they are running for their lives. I wouldnt recommend the idea of scaring them with a laser but yes 10-20mW green at a 10ft+ distance would do the trick..

what an IDIOT! Lets think about this.... How does a birds eye look, like its solid black right... So you are telling me even though a human eye isnt as dark it still damages worse than a birds eye.. I would bet a birds eye would get damaged faster and worse.

Yeah he's a moron. He is trying to justify pointing the laser at birds. Eye balls are eye balls. They are all soft tissue with a focusing lens, and open pupil.

Just searched to see if there is any more info out there to back up the video's claim...

Here's an article that says birds eyes filter out harmful radiation. Doesn't quite make sense though, and 532nm is not harmful radiation, it's just powerful and collimated visible light.

Seems to be a few sources claiming birds eyes are immune... Kind of odd, and doesn't make much sense to me either, but have a look if your interested.

http://www.laserweekly.com/portable-lasers-and-avian-dispersal/

http://www.birdcontrolsupplies.com/images/tnlasers.pdf

Automatic Bird Control Unit - TOM500 - Laser bird deterrent system

Last edited:
150mW lasers are out of my budget. I wanted 5mW laser since I haven't checked if more is restricted in local customs.

I assume many know sites like DealExtreme, TinyDeal, FocalPrice, Tmart? Can somebody recommend good 5mW green laser preferrably short in length. My other aims to use it is to point on objects in exhibit and for presentations.

Thanks.

Collimated beam being the key word. I dont see how any eye can defend against it.

They have oil that protects them from short wavelength depending on species like a film that protect their eye, however if the had such a film, how do they see UV and some can, source stated that a IIIb laser causes no damage to a birds eye after several minutes testing from 10 meters. I think its all hog wash, I am not Captain Planet or a tree hugger for that matter, still feels wrong and the data does not look legit.

Can somebody recommend good 5mW green laser preferrably short in length. My other aims to use it is to point on objects in exhibit and for presentations.

Thanks.

Two good sources for on spec 5mW 532nm green pointers that are IR filtered and not actually higher powered than they are quoted are Optotronics and Laserglow.

Sometimes overspec is a good thing but when you want a laser to be eye safe its important that is not actually >5mW like some on ebay that are sold as 5mW but can be much more..

Optotronics Green Pen Pointers

Laserglow Technologies - Handheld Lasers, Alignment Lasers and Lab / OEM Lasers

Collimated beam being the key word. I dont see how any eye can defend against it.

. I think its all hog wash, I am not Captain Planet or a tree hugger for that matter, still feels wrong and the data does not look legit.

Agreed!

Last edited:
I remember roasting a hornet with a couple of lasers. Felt kind of bad about after. Didn't smell so nice either.

Anyway, crows are indeed smart, and once they figure out something like a scarecrow doesn't actually harm them, they'll just plain ignore it. So maybe you really do have to injure them to keep them away.

You could hang mini poppers on your window (like the mini hanheld party conffeti cannons), extend the cord and pull it from your bed. Its harmless and brilliant :D
I remember kipkay used them to make one or two videos.

Two good sources for on spec 5mW 532nm green pointers that are IR filtered and not actually higher powered than they are quoted are Optotronics and Laserglow.

Sometimes overspec is a good thing but when you want a laser to be eye safe its important that is not actually >5mW like some on ebay that are sold as 5mW but can be much more..

Thank you. But can you recommend something from sites like DealExtreme, TinyDeal, FocalPrice and Tmart?