Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wickedlasers cracked down by fda!!!!!

USAbro

This, as well - 445s do have terrible divergence. I would say though that the owners of 445s are still at least slightly more responsible than those of Chinese 532s.

Would +rep but must spread some reputation around first.

They've been on pretty much every customs blacklist for years now, probably just gave up because the lasers never made it through .. the FDA has no say on what happens in China, or basically anywhere outside the US. CNI stopped selling pointers because it wasn't profitable. FDA has nothing to do with any of this.
I've purchased two of the S3 type lasers from WL (Arctic and Inferno), plus some accessories. The shipments both took between 19 and 20 days to arrive. No damages nor defects.

Well I just ordered a 750mw here we go hoping for the best. Getting the Inferno 750 mw with extra lens kit and the extra freebie lens kit.
I just got my 750 mW Inferno last week. The included LPM graph shows a peak at 894 mW and mean of 866 mW. Hope you'll be as happy with it as I am. :beer:

LSRFAQ

I'll take serious issue with this statement.

NOHD refers to the threshold at which possible skin or cornea damage can occur. The main hazard with which the FDA is concerned with is the glare distraction caused by laser light illuminating cockpits of aircraft at night due to the extreme contrast levels, not cornea or skin damage. This range is at least twice NOHD.

If you think a 2watt 445 using a simple 3 element lens isn't capable of seriously causing a vision issue at 800 feet point to point at night you haven't been working with them long. This past summer I was hit with a 1watt 445 at a distance of approx 1100 feet on a pier in lake michigan and the intensity level was certainly distracting.

I have a lot of experience in this area, I assure you.

Typical NOHD for a Wicked Spyder product (two years ago) measured out a 800 feet.

That's MEASURED, not a guess.

Steve

I just got my 750 mW Inferno last week. The included LPM graph shows a peak at 894 mW and mean of 866 mW. Hope you'll be as happy with it as I am. :beer:

I am really hoping i just get one at spec or above and not under spec.

Things

I'll take serious issue with this statement.

NOHD refers to the threshold at which possible skin or cornea damage can occur. The main hazard with which the FDA is concerned with is the glare distraction caused by laser light illuminating cockpits of aircraft at night due to the extreme contrast levels, not cornea or skin damage. This range is at least twice NOHD.

If you think a 2watt 445 using a simple 3 element lens isn't capable of seriously causing a vision issue at 800 feet point to point at night you haven't been working with them long. This past summer I was hit with a 1watt 445 at a distance of approx 1100 feet on a pier in lake michigan and the intensity level was certainly distracting.

You're aware who you're talking to, right? This guy knows his sh!t ;)

Encap

Also Wicked Lasers says this: " In addition, every laser comes with the safety features such as interlocks that are required for the laser's Class.

We have also gone beyond legal requirements."

So do you believe the FDA?

ALL of Wicked Lasers laser products have been on the FDA Import Alert 95-4 list titled "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Laser Pointers, Laser Gunsights, Laser Levels, Laser Light Shows, Laser Pointer Key Chains, & Similar Products That Fail To Comply With Applicable Performance Standards And Reporting Requirements." since July 2010 ---they have never been off the list since then.

see them listed 4 times on the 4 November 2014 list at: Import Alert 95-04

FDA says clearly as of July 2014 at http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/transparency/basics/ucm302664.htm
"FDA regulates all laser products, even handheld, battery-powered lasers that are available for purchase FROM manufacturers, importers, assemblers, dealers or distributors in the United States and its territories. This includes lasers manufactured or obtained on a continuing basis for the purpose of sale or resale."
"Do not purchase a handheld, battery-powered laser labeled with hazard Class IIIb, Class IV, Class 1M, Class 2M, Class 3B or Class 4 unless the manufacturer has an approval from FDA (called a "variance") to allow the purchase. Lasers approved for purchase in these classes often have very specific uses and may be sold under certain conditions known to the manufacturer. Sales without a variance, or sales that violate the conditions of the variance, ARE ILLEGAL."

PS there is no such thing as an "FDA approved laser" much less an approved WL laser product---is just more WL marketing BS which you seem eager to buy hook, line, and sinker. Every laser WL sells into the USA is non-compliant with FDA rules and regulations.

Last edited:
Still waiting for my Inferno tracking info... 13 days after my order.

Apparently it's shipped the day after you order...

13 days still nothing, but they did say 2 weeks for tracking info... But why?

So do you believe the FDA?

ALL of Wicked Lasers laser products have been on the FDA Import Alert 95-4 list titled "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Laser Pointers, Laser Gunsights, Laser Levels, Laser Light Shows, Laser Pointer Key Chains, & Similar Products That Fail To Comply With Applicable Performance Standards And Reporting Requirements." since July 2010 ---they have never been off the list since then.

see them listed 4 times on the 4 November 2014 list at: Import Alert 95-04

FDA says clearly as of July 2014 at Does FDA regulate these new powerful laser "pointers" and are they hazardous?
"FDA regulates all laser products, even handheld, battery-powered lasers that are available for purchase FROM manufacturers, importers, assemblers, dealers or distributors in the United States and its territories. This includes lasers manufactured or obtained on a continuing basis for the purpose of sale or resale."
"Do not purchase a handheld, battery-powered laser labeled with hazard Class IIIb, Class IV, Class 1M, Class 2M, Class 3B or Class 4 unless the manufacturer has an approval from FDA (called a "variance") to allow the purchase. Lasers approved for purchase in these classes often have very specific uses and may be sold under certain conditions known to the manufacturer. Sales without a variance, or sales that violate the conditions of the variance, ARE ILLEGAL."

PS there is no such thing as an "FDA approved laser" much less an approved WL laser product---is just more WL marketing BS which you seem eager to buy hook, line, and sinker. Every laser WL sells into the USA is non-compliant with FDA rules and regulations.
Encap, thanks for clearing that up! Very informative post complete with citations. Now I understand "unless the manufacturer has an approval from FDA (called a "variance")". So WL must have a variance from the FDA granting approval.

Encap

Encap, thanks for clearing that up! Very informative post complete with citations. Now I understand "unless the manufacturer has an approval from FDA (called a "variance")". So WL must have a variance from the FDA granting approval.

Wrong --- WL has no such approval or "variance" to ship any WL laser products into the USA. For you to legally import one requires that you personally get a variance and submit a product report, actually.

As mentioned above, WL has been on the FDA Import Alert 95-4 list cited above continously since 2010! See them listed 4 time here: Import Alert 95-04

You don't get it yet----WL is just marketing lies, an illusion --- every laser they sell is illegal to ship to or import into the USA and subject to "Detention Without Physical Examination" meaning being stopped/seized by US Customs and disposed of.

Last edited:
Wrong --- WL has no such approval or "variance" to ship any WL laser products into the USA. For you to legally import one requires that you personally get a variance and submit a product report, actually.

As mentioned above, WL has been on the FDA Import Alert 95-4 list cited above continously since 2010! See them listed 4 time here: Import Alert 95-04

You don't get it yet----WL is just marketing lies, an illusion --- every laser they sell is illegal to import into the USA and subject to "Detention Without Physical Examination" meaning being stopped/seized by US Customs and disposed of.
Encap, I think I understand better what you are saying. According to your FDA citation WL was not compliant in 2010 therefore they were specifically mentioned. I have to assume that since then they received a FDA variance because now there is no difficulty in receiving shipments from them. Do you have documentation to the contrary?

USAbro

You don't get it yet----WL is just marketing lies, an illusion --- every laser they sell is illegal to import into the USA and subject to "Detention Without Physical Examination" meaning being stopped/seized by US Customs and disposed of.

Wow thanks for letting us know this, really cleared it up! Anyways, than does Sci-Fi lasers have a variance? What about laserbtb or JL. Or even Dragon lasers. Are all these lasers illegal?

EDIT: Are eBay lasers illegal then? Can the consumers be prosecuted?

Last edited:
It's a bit harsh on Wicked Lasers IMO...

What about the other companies shipping lasers?

If WL are stepped on for it, so should the others be .

Encap

Encap, I think I understand better what you are saying. According to your FDA citation WL was not compliant in 2010 therefore they were specifically mentioned. I have to assume that since then they received a FDA variance because now there is no difficulty in receiving shipments from them. Do you have documentation to the contrary?

Your assumptions are wrong.

WL does not have variances for any of their laser products and never has had any variances.

That WL ships lasers to USA that slip by/make it passed US Customs unnoticed for one reason or another, does not mean that those lasers shipped comply with FDA rules and regulations or have variances. If those shipments were known to be lasers from WL by US Customs, they would be seized and disposed of----every laser from WL subject to Detention without Physical Examination (DWPE) under this Import Alert (a.k.a. Red List) 95-4 updated every monthly

WL has been listed in every monthly updated FDA Import Alert 95-4 list directive given to US Custome for enforcement since 2010 as non-compliant and is still listed as non-compliant today as documneted by the most recent November 2014 updated FDA Import Alert 95-4 list . see: Import Alert 95-04 Every laser they ship into the USA without exception is subject to being stopped/seized by US Customs and disposed of.

Separate and aside from the above--current FDA rules, regulations, and practices say as clear as day that all hand held lasers are limited to an output of 5mW or less:
"FDA regulates all laser products, even handheld, battery-powered lasers that are available for purchase FROM manufacturers, importers, assemblers, dealers or distributors in the United States and its territories. This includes lasers manufactured or obtained on a continuing basis for the purpose of sale or resale.

FDA requires that manufacturers of these lasers limit the power of the laser light to 5 milliWatts (often abbreviated as "mW") or less. The labeling or packaging must allow the purchaser to know the power of the laser, its hazard class, and its wavelength before the laser is purchased. Even online advertisements must display this information for the purchaser.

Even the smallest handheld, battery-powered lasers are capable of emitting laser light at hazardous powers. Larger models, the size of a small flashlight, can burn skin and pop balloons. More importantly, consumers should assume any size handheld battery-powered laser they do not directly control has the potential to blind or permanently affect eyesight.

One way to determine if such a laser has been manufactured to regulatory power and hazard class limits is to find labeling. The labeling that comes with the laser (and online labeling) must display the power, hazard class, and wavelength. The wavelength is a number that describes the color of the beam.

The label must display the laser power. It must be 5 milliWatts or less. The label must display the hazard class. It must be Class I, Class IIa, Class II, Class IIIa or Class 1, Class 2 or Class 3R"

Read: Does FDA regulate these new powerful laser "pointers" and are they hazardous?

Last edited: