Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers 445nm Goggles specs

WRM

After speaking with the Wicked Lasers tech support team regarding some pitfalls in our testing of their goggles, I was able to obtain from them their spec sheet for this product. If there is someone who is a professional in these standards that can read and explain this, I think that it would be of value to the forum and maybe shed some light on what we can expect from this product regarding safety. I ask that you please do not use this thread as a Wicked Lasers whipping post. Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• WL 445nm-Goggles.pdf
    341.8 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:

WRM

Sorry, It was blurry as a small jpeg. I put it up as a pdf. Thanks

According to the graph in the PDF, the transmission at 445nm is around 11%. That makes about OD 1. These goggles would pass 100mW of a 1W laser. There's not even a laser safety standard like ANSI 136.1 or EN207 mentioned.

Trevor

That is sickening that they sent those out as safety equipment.

To all people who still thinks WL is good, they clearly don't give a shit about customers.

-Trevor

oic0

I own a pair, you cant even focus a 1w+ laser with them on because the dot has too much flare from the brightness. You can see the beam too! I wouldn't trust them for anything more than viewing the dot on a dark matte surface or from a distance. On the plus side, if you wanted a pair that would stop the dot from burning your eyes out but still have the beam visible while shining on matte surfaces these are it. Maybe lol. I just go outside when I want to see a beam.

WRM

I've never actually seen them (WL) refer to the OD specs for their 445 Goggles (maybe I missed it somewhere). I know that this sounds crazy; but you know what happens when you use OD 4+ with 445nm. The beam pretty much disappears and they know that. We all want to see the beam. Maybe they tried to make a pair of goggles that offers limited protection while letting you still see the beam (not exactly responsible). I won't try; but I'd bet that their goggles would protect you from a diffuse reflection. OD 2+ would. Did anyone ever get hard OD rating numbers from WL on these glasses? They obviously know what the specs are and have no problem divulging it. I'm going to pass this chart on to someone that I know will be able to completely dissect it and ask what his thoughts are. I'll report back as soon as I hear. Meanwhile, is there anyone else who can translate some of the data on the spec sheet? Thanks, Bill

thanks for the specs. if these ever get here I'm just going to throw them in the garbage.

Trevor

They recommend an optical density of "4.4+" for this laser. The in-house specs state that those goggles have an OD of just under 1.

They've been waving the safety flag, trying to act saintly while distributing these goggles as some horrible excuse for "safety." I bet the FP $8 goggles have better protection than these.

-Trevor

oic0

I've never actually seen them (WL) refer to the OD specs for their 445 Goggles (maybe I missed it somewhere). I know that this sounds crazy; but you know what happens when you use OD 4+ with 445nm. The beam pretty much disappears and they know that. We all want to see the beam. Maybe they tried to make a pair of goggles that offers limited protection while letting you still see the beam (not exactly responsible). I won't try; but I'd bet that their goggles would protect you from a diffuse reflection. OD 2+ would. Did anyone ever get hard OD rating numbers from WL on these glasses? They obviously know what the specs are and have no problem divulging it. I'm going to pass this chart on to someone that I know will be able to completely dissect it and ask what his thoughts are. I'll report back as soon as I hear. Meanwhile, is there anyone else who can translate some of the data on the spec sheet? Thanks, Bill

They are marked like OD4+ at 445 and OD5 at 532. If they were shaped right, I think you could use them to focus 532 for burning.

WRM

Mine have no markings whatsoever. Are anyone else's marked OD 4+ for 445? Bill

boscoj

so would a low OD lens be less prone to an actual burn through/hole than a high OD lens, high OD being more like a high ohm resistor?

Just curious . . .

The higher the OD to the Wavelength it's subjected too the better it absorbs the energy, and hence the faster You can burn through the lens.

DJNY

They are incredible liars.
On the goggles I read 190-445nm OD 5+ 450-532nm OD6+

and now look at this

Can´t post this video often enough.

I´m doing a power test trough the goggles right now.

UPDATE
58mW of 180mW green go through this goggles!!!
For the 1W 447nm it says between 1.9-2.0 on my HLPM2 - we need Jerry (lasersbee) here

Last edited:
Lazy Beam has done a transmittance test on the Wicked Laser Shades, and Graphed the results. You can look for His thread, because it's probably been buried. It should have been STICKIED IMO.