Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers <1W 532nm Spyder III

According to their forum, Wicked Lasers will be releasing a 1W greenie soon.

Anyone else think this will be another underspec POS like the Arctic? :umbrella:

Trevor

I kind of doubt it will even peak at 1W. The components needed to intentionally achieve absurdly high powers are also absurdly expensive. WL will probably use high-peaking QC reject modules.

I predict it will probably be running in a high order mode, not be on-spec, and be rather unstable. ><

-Trevor

Diachi's Spyder III 532 held >600mW. Another member had one peaking at nearly a watt, >700mW most of the time.

eventually 1-watt 532 hand-helds will be prevalent and cheap ... have faith, grasshoppers...

Yep, CNI 532nm 1W PL-C is almost $2K so to hold at 1W its very expensive. But CNI one has a very tight beam compared to my Jetlaser >850mW

Cheers

eventually 1-watt 532 hand-helds will be prevalent and cheap ... have faith, grasshoppers...

Uh... Really?
I certainly hope not.

It's bad enough that >500mW blues are selling "like hotcakes."
Would it really be advantageous for our hobby to get MORE cheap power? With the kind of notoriety lasers are getting as it is?
I don't think so.

WickedLasers is known for inconsistency, lies, and exaggeration. The only innovation I would expect from them is new ways to rip off customers.
Their "<1W" green will likely not be closer to 1W average power than the Arctic.

Long ago I tested a prototype 500 mW for Steve. It easily put out 750 mW !!!
With a portable and its limited heatsinking and battery power, don't expect long duty cycles.
Damn, I wish I hadn't sent that one back :-(

HMike

It will probably output reasonably close to spec, but fail at keeping true to the promised duty cycles... and be twice the price it should be. Durability will as always be a complete gamble with them. It might be flawless for months, it might fail in a few weeks. I don't trust their QC at all, or their ability to respect diode limitations. My fusion's power has dropped by more than half since I got it.

cmak

By the time 1W 532nm DPSS systems are "prevalent and cheap", we will already have green DDI systems capable of achieving even higher outputs.

Basically it's like people waiting for blue lasers to get cheaper, prior to the 447nm diodes becoming cheap, when the only portable lasers available were 473nm DPSS. Well guess what, 473nm's still aren't cheap (although they have gone done ever so slightly over time), and if someone wants a cheap "blue" laser, they will just seek 447nm.

Personally I'd rather the entire 447nm craze never happened, and instead that there was some kind of breakthrough in the DPSS department that lead to more unique DPSS colors being created in portable form (612nm Orange, 488/491/500nm Cyan/Turquoise, 515nm Emerald, 561nm Olive, etc.), and to existing ones becoming slightly more affordable. Anyone else feel the same?

-Chris

Last edited:
By the time 1W 532nm DPSS systems are "prevalent and cheap", we will already have green DDI systems capable of achieving even higher outputs.

With horrible beams worse than the 445nm diodes.

cmak said:
Basically it's like people waiting for blue lasers to get cheaper, prior to the 447nm diodes becoming cheap, when the only portable lasers available were 473nm DPSS. Well guess what, 473nm's still aren't cheap (although they have gone done ever so slightly over time), and if someone wants a cheap "blue" laser, they will just seek 447nm.

Personally I'd rather the entire 447nm craze never happened, and instead that there was some kind of breakthrough in the DPSS department that lead to more unique DPSS colors being created in portable form (612nm Orange, 488nm Cyan, 500nm Turquoise, 561nm Olive, etc.), and to existing ones becoming slightly more affordable. Anyone else feel the same?

Not really, 445 diodes have brought blue to everyone. I'd rather they weren't so damned powerful, but why on earth would you want blue lasers to not be affordable?

Trevor

Long ago I tested a prototype 500 mW for Steve. It easily put out 750 mW !!!
With a portable and its limited heatsinking and battery power, don't expect long duty cycles.
Damn, I wish I hadn't sent that one back :-(

HMike

Thing is... that one had to have been cherry-picked. I don't think they can deliver that kind of power at such a low price point.

-Trevor

cmak

With horrible beams worse than the 445nm diodes.

Not really, 445 diodes have brought blue to everyone. I'd rather they weren't so damned powerful, but why on earth would you want blue lasers to not be affordable?
I'd love for blue lasers to become more affordable (which they have), but not at the extreme power levels and with the terrible beam specs. So basically, we can both agree that the 447nm craze would have been a lot better if they weren't as powerful, and instead had a nicer beam.

As far as the beam specs on high-powered diodes of the future--well, if 1W 532nm DPSS systems have become inexpensive, then at that point in the future we will most likely have cheaper/better corrective optics and will be able to achieve 1W green DDI lasers with decent beams as a result. Right now you can get a less-powerful 447nm with a nice beam (due to corrective optics) for a reasonable amount of money. Remember, 532nm laser price aren't exactly rolling down the price hill all too quickly, so let's not get ahead of ourselves :p

Oh and while we're on the topic of diode development/availability, any idea when more powerful BR diodes are to be expected? With 12X's coming down to $60, I can only imagine what $200 will be able to buy in the near future. Search came up with nothing, but it could be because of my keywords.

-Chris

Last edited: