Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WHY so many 'necro posts' lately.

Hey RB--Good call but looks like he is still around and not banned--glad you are back and on the prowl.
Thanks Encap, I didn't delete the posts yet so that one of the other mods can check and verify.
I'll delete them later or if one of the other mods want to.
But I'll double check that I've actually banned him.
(y)

Hey, it's great to see you posing again, Andrew. (y)
Cheers Paul.
:)

Encap

Thanks Encap, I didn't delete the posts yet so that one of the other mods can check and verify.
I'll delete them later or if one of the other mods want to.
But I'll double check that I've actually banned him.
(y)

Cheers Paul.
:)

Sounds good.

It doesn't say under his name "banned" in posts he made but his user Profile is no longer available so must be that he is banned----
Am not sure how this new program is supposed to show "banned"

Sounds good.

It doesn't say under his name "banned" in posts he made but his user Profile is no longer available so must be that he is banned----
Am not sure how this new program is supposed to show "banned"

That's what's so confusing.
With the old system, you knew he was banned.
Now it doesn't say 'banned' but when you click the profile it's not there.
That's why I'm not sure.
Might get some advice from the other mods or Avery.

:geek:

Holly Crap.... Andrew... You are NOT dead...(y)
Glad to see you back here my friend... Missed
you...:D

Jerry

Coonie

What's wrong with reviving older threads if you add more to the topic or have a question? Why is it frowned upon to begin with? Has anyone asked this question to themselves? Good questions to consider I think

I believe one of the reasons why some members don't like it, they get all excited a new thread is made on something they are interested in, only to find, it's a dead thread, except for one recent post just made which rarely adds anything of substance after that long of a period of time. What really gets them up in arms is if a newbie does it who just adds something like "oh cool, I like this."

Another issue is the help me troll who frequents this forum from time to time who does it because he likes being a pest, I think it is the same guy who keeps making new member names and posts medical questions about being hit in the eye by a laser beam, although some legit, I am sure.

Other than that, I don't care if someone necro posts, better than making another thread about the same thing, as long as what you are adding is a reasonable question, or continuation of information improving the thread. What I mean by reasonable question is it makes sense, stupid questions are also fine to me, I make them. Although, we probably ought to have a stupid question section so people can feel free to post anything stupid they want without fear of someone whipping them with a wet noodle, as happens. The whole forum should be that way, but it isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Coonie

I believe one of the reasons why some members don't like it, they get all excited a new thread is made on something they are interested in, only to find, it's a dead thread, except for one recent post just made which rarely adds anything of substance after that long of a period of time. What really gets them up in arms is if a newbie does it who just adds something like "oh cool, I like this."

Another issue is the help me troll who frequents this forum from time to time who does it because he likes being a pest, I think it is the same guy who keeps making new member names and posts medical questions about being hit in the eye by a laser beam, although some legit, I am sure.

Other than that, I don't care if someone necro posts, better than making another thread about the same thing, as long as what you are adding is a reasonable question, or continuation of information improving the thread. What I mean by reasonable question is it makes sense, stupid questions are also fine to me, I make them. Although, we probably ought to have a stupid question section so people can feel free to post anything stupid they want without fear of someone whipping them with a wet noodle, as happens. The whole forum should be that way, but it isn't.

Forums are an interchangeable way to communicate with other members. It's a message board but also an archive. I think the problem lies within that parameter. Older information is considered an archive so a message such as "oh cool, I like this" is pretty much writing that on someones text book whereas in recent threads it's more accepted because it's more considered as an iirc message. Because of this duality there lies the problem

I know I get sick of seeing "wow, cool!" in 7, 8 10 year old threads posted by people who just signed on to be here within the past few hours. It happens a lot now and is one of my pet peeves.

ALAN USED 'Pi r squared' He passed shortly after his last thread -- in which he told us he did not have long- A typo in his title confused some- he wrote 'Good Bye' instead of 'Good By '.(or the other way around).. afaik he has been the only member who tried to let us know how really grave his health was.
I was just thinking about Rob Banas-- I found a pic of the house we all helped him keep it when the heartless bastards at the bank wanted to foreclose and kick Rob and wife (w/cancer) to the curb.
I was also thinking that MYB the best way to find out info would be to ask the local Postmaster and the delivery person who served his area.. they know when to stop delivering ..
I would think a fonecall would be better than any other way.
ALSO I learned I could get contact info of neighbors while trying to find the actual person you are seeking-- addresses on same street --just a few numbers off. They lived there a long time and at least one neighbor would/should know something. This was at a site for finding people-- popped up as an alternative source of info when none was found.
I contacted a neighbor in same Apt. building (downstairs) and she knew him and told me he moved (from Ca) to Fla a month ago. and she did not know Keith by name but by description she knew who he was.. WE stay in touch now-- he is living I Hanoi /VietNam-- & we Skype.
via Fbook.
WE split an Apartment for a summer while both at Kent State U. He was class of 1968 - I graduated May 1970.

Okay right NOW these links & their titles appear below last post--apparently they move around- the large font is the title and the fine print (mostlylpf) is very small. there are 14 link titles-- and many are VERY old- people see one that interests them- click on it and necro post in many cases-- before posting on anyones thread-see date of OP and the last few posts OR MORE WILL BE NECRO-ING-- I copypasta for you below-- may not look exactly like it does in the forum..so forget blue etc --if you do not see these links make an apt w/ yr eye doctor _________
5000mW Laser Pointers - Ture Burning Lasers
Adburninglaserpointer.com
Hit in eye with 1000mw 445nm blue laser
laserpointerforums.com

#1 Hack To Lower Cable Bills
AdLiveWave
NUBM44 6W+ 450nm Laser Diode
laserpointerforums.com

Odin 5W Burning Laser
Adbestlaserpointers.com
473nm pointer questions
laserpointerforums.com

What mw is required to burn paper? Pop balloons? Light match? Any specific laser?
laserpointerforums.com

First laser build (red) inst working
laserpointerforums.com

may be a stupid quiestion, but which way does battery go??
laserpointerforums.com

505 nm laser diode
laserpointerforums.com

DTR's Laser Shop - Laser Diodes & More
laserpointerforums.com

GUIDE: Which company should I buy from?
laserpointerforums.com

Can I use my laser to pop balloons?
laserpointerforums.com

Nubm0at
laserpointerforums.com

diachi

Forums are an interchangeable way to communicate with other members. It's a message board but also an archive. I think the problem lies within that parameter. Older information is considered an archive so a message such as "oh cool, I like this" is pretty much writing that on someones text book whereas in recent threads it's more accepted because it's more considered as an iirc message. Because of this duality there lies the problem

Nailed it! Nothing wrong with digging up an old thread if you're adding new/relevant information or even just restart the discussion. However, it's a little annoying when people dig up old threads just to say "that's cool" and nothing else.

The only stupid question is the one left unasked.
I am a martial arts instructor. One of my duties is teaching the beginners the fundamentals. The process does get repetitive. However, it is very rewarding to see a new student grasp a skill that they once thought to be impossible. It is not unusual to answer questions I have answered dozens of times in the past. Just because I have answered it before, does not invalidate the question.
The relationship between student and master is one of mutual need. The new student needs the master in order to obtain the knowledge and skills he seeks. The master also needs the student in order to perpetuate the art and traditions he holds dear.
I feel it counter-productive to chase away new members simply because of their inexperience with a new set of unfamiliar protocols. I am sure most would catch on quickly if given a chance.

Agreed, although I do prefer it when people put some effort in to search first before asking questions, or questions that seem stupid from my more experienced POV. Still, being helpful is usually the best course of action rather than berating people.

That said, sometimes you can't find the information you're looking for because you don't have the prerequisite knowledge to search for the answers you want. Most forums operate that way I've found, search first for common Q&As, do some reading, then ask questions if you're still stuck or just can't find the answers.

Sometimes the best way to handle that is to point people in the general direction of whatever information they've requested so that they can do some reading then come back with more specific questions or come up with the right search terms.

I don't like how newbies are often chastised on here for not doing an introduction post/not searching/asking common questions. We can still help them, suggest that they introduce themselves and/or point them in the right direction.

I think some/many people don't like being asked to make an introduction post because they feel like they are going to be judged, almost like auditioning for acceptance, maybe it would be better to include a mandatory/required " Tell us something about yourself " line in the registration and have that information automatically appear when clicking a persons name and also allow it to be edited by the member, you will likely find people wanting to share that way as they become part of the club.

---edit---

As for necros Coonie got it right, new people just need time to learn, however I think a lot of the animosity towards it comes from our disgust of the many trolls we have seen who annoy by doing the same, so I suggest being patient with both and let time tell.

Last edited:
I disagree, Tony. There are plenty of stupid questions, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be asked. It seems less annoying if the person asking has made an attempt to search for an answer. My thoughts have always been that this is less a social media and more a compilation of information about lasers, laser diodes and parts, along with reviews of different builds and new lasers not seen here before. For that reason it still gets under my skin when a new member insists on posting "wow, cool" to an old thread.

Anthony P

I disagree, Tony. There are plenty of stupid questions, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be asked. It seems less annoying if the person asking has made an attempt to search for an answer. My thoughts have always been that this is less a social media and more a compilation of information about lasers, laser diodes and parts, along with reviews of different builds and new lasers not seen here before. For that reason it still gets under my skin when a new member insists on posting "wow, cool" to an old thread.
Suppose you are right, Paul. I will concede that there are, in fact, stupid questions.
I am starting to see a pattern in this thread where most members agree that necros are fine with new or pertinent info, but "way cool" coments are lame.

Coonie

Suppose you are right, Paul. I will concede that there are, in fact, stupid questions.
I am starting to see a pattern in this thread where most members agree that necros are fine with new or pertinent info, but "way cool" coments are lame.

Then let's leave the discussion on that note. We all agree

Whatever happened to the imogie of smiling guy with sign.

"Here.. let me google that for you.''

I have replied to many posts (most PMs)with only a link to my google search.. they can do what they like with it.
ALSO forum searches can be very helpful to the new folks when they are unsure WHICH section they need to go for its info or just use that section for their thread.
AND...
pet peeve-- ok I am alright with that..
The use or wrong abbreviation.

Never ending use of w, mw. or MW. or Mw-- when they mean mW. only one is correct iirc.
That is just one example... Lately I have been less active and also are sending more new member PMs rather than 'in thread' advice/scolding etc replies..

back to the 'pubished' links and necro connection... btw the list up ATM has this threads linked.

.I can only guess how/ where these links come from (who/what picks- them)
WE already have the option to see latest posts via "Whats new'' and a list of new theads as well.
And its weird that our advertisers links are there -- or myb its a post/thtread made buy one.
thanks to all for the input on everything.