Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WHY so many 'necro posts' lately.

I think I know why..near the top we see thread titles IN BLUE. I do not know how these are chosen BUT this is NOT done by a human.
Some are >10 yrs old-- members (not just new ones) see these and post w/o looking at several posts for dates AND/ OR the OP DATE(or Mother post).
This could not happen at the 'old' forum.
AND SOME topics , while old are still very relevant..
SO we need to be more aware of thread 'history'
AND be more tolerant. I know that some 'necro' posts were knowingly made even though the last post is quite old.
The alternative is to make a new thread on the same topic which is ALSO frowned upon... So no 'rule' is 100% good. all the time.
AGREE??

Yep, a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation, to post or not to post. When I first joined I had a wet noodle used on me for asking what I was told was the same question already discussed, if I had just searched the forum. I then saw the thread and posted another question to it and was told not to necro post. So, I started my own thread and was told there was already a thread on the subject. Well, F M and slap me about the head and shoulders will ya. No winning, never did get my questions answered, so I thought making a 30 dollar donation to the forum might give me some support, nope, attitudes still didn't change, no one would help.

reloader45

Hello,

what Do you mean with titles in blue?

I use the setting with the white background. All titles are blue!

best regards

Edgar

They have a blue background with white script on my PC and are very random and most are quite old.

Right below the LPF Banner near the top.
below most you see laserpointerforums. (most) in small font.
It is the only thing that looks like that.
The 'shot in the eye' post is there a lot.
I use the black background.

Been browsing and lurking this forum for around 4 years, and the black theme is so much easier on the eyes, especially late at night. Also, the other forum I post on regularly, [H], has a similar grey colour scheme, and it just feels at home!

As for the necro posts... Well, this forum is active, sure, but it's not super active. There's all kinds of information stored in older threads... New members, I feel, don't understand that resurrecting a thread from the dead, with a congratulatory post, or request for info (where a PM would suffice instead) is against etiquette.

reloader45

Hello,

you see, people are different. It was one of the first questions of mine in this Forum, how to change this ugly black Background.

best regards

Edgar

Anthony P

The only stupid question is the one left unasked.
I am a martial arts instructor. One of my duties is teaching the beginners the fundamentals. The process does get repetitive. However, it is very rewarding to see a new student grasp a skill that they once thought to be impossible. It is not unusual to answer questions I have answered dozens of times in the past. Just because I have answered it before, does not invalidate the question.
The relationship between student and master is one of mutual need. The new student needs the master in order to obtain the knowledge and skills he seeks. The master also needs the student in order to perpetuate the art and traditions he holds dear.
I feel it counter-productive to chase away new members simply because of their inexperience with a new set of unfamiliar protocols. I am sure most would catch on quickly if given a chance.

GSS

Yup stupid mistakes from not asking if your not sure..
I would say 90% of the time i'm fine with necro posting. I find it fun to see what was up in the "day" and I just about always learn something new or remember something I forgot..
I'm on some car forums and iv'e actually brought out some stagnant threads from as at least 12 years old. Alot of newbie always find them resourceful, and many have more info to add..

It's been so long now, and since I believe he is gone, can someone try to find what happened to Alan Boyer, his mothers name was Berta and they lived in Washington State. The last time I received an email from him was in July 2016. I am not certain that was his last name, but Boyer was his mothers last name.

Just logged on and 2 new guys are necroposting...
WTF is going on ?? It's not even a full moon...o_O
I don't mind them if they contain some god new
info/data.

@Alaskan
What was Alan Boyer's Username ??

@ Edgar,
That ugly white background fries my eyes....:ROFLMAO:

Jerry

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Agreed, lots of necroposting lately, and many of these necroposters are using the "wayback machine", picking out some very old threads and generally not adding any new info.
It seems like using the search function has all but been forgotten recently. :(

Hi guys.
Just banned
JoshuaGonzalez

He's been necro posting and pretending to be interested in lasers but he's spruiking paid website adverts.
Just happened to log on this morning and his was the first post I saw.
Can on of the other mods please check that I've actually banned him.
I'm so rusty at this and the new website has me in a bit of a spin.
LOL.

RB

Encap

Hey RB--Good call but looks like he is still around and not banned--glad you are back and on the prowl.

Last edited: