Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why not build and auction a custom laser for donations?

Ricker

Hahah I wish I had one too! Anyways, I'd be happy to donate a laser for the good of LPF, just for the hopes that it pays off later down the road. :) Maybe next month. :)

Rico2

I just sold my sci fi smp 3 watt on here so I could chip in some cash if need be.

i have cool hosts, i do have 1 host i need to remove the front i got it stuck
the problem is we have no people to make the host :(

Last edited:
hahaha i'll gladly take over the crown from Ehgemus.. :eg:

well i have a host!! who want to chip in the money/GITD/diodes/driver/ and so on.... or i might end up putting a 495nm/556nm/561nm/589nm/593.5nm.... if i have enough cash in my pocket...

image_zps7o2btsqj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Rico2

I would love to see someone build a host with the same type of metals they use in gunmaking, then put the stuff they call gun blue on it like they do guns. It makes the steel have this rainbow iridescent effect. Absolutely beautiful when the light hits it from different directions. Imagine the colors from the beam dancing on the steel. So sick.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if any of the forum members have suggested this before, but why not build a custom laser using parts and expertise from forum members and auction it off every month with the proceeds going to the forum? On top of that, the members whose parts we use would benefit as well from the build. We could have Eghemus build a wicked cool host that would house a nubm44 diode obtained from DTR, then send it to Grainde and have him throw some futuristic gitd accents on the host to set it off. After finishing it, throw it in the buy, sell, trade section and allow members to bid on it, with anything over cost going to the forum. At the very least, it would be super cool to see a group build come together, in my opinion.

A good idea on the surface, but not a good idea if you know the federal laws governing the manufacturing and distribution of non FDA approved lasers. LPF or specifically the site owner could likely find himself in a heap of legal trouble sponsoring such an endeavor.

A good idea on the surface, but not a good idea if you know the federal laws governing the manufacturing and distribution of non FDA approved lasers. LPF or specifically the site owner could likely find himself in a heap of legal trouble sponsoring such an endeavor.

You're probably right. Maybe someone could build a lab laser that has to plug into the wall, or maybe a really nice <5mW red.

Alan

Razako

That's why I suggested a <5mw pointer in a really unusual wavelength. It would be FDA complaint and the novelty would make people wanna buy raffle tickets to get it.

That's why I suggested a <5mw pointer in a really unusual wavelength. It would be FDA complaint and the novelty would make people wanna buy raffle tickets to get it.

Saying so doesn't make it so. You'll have to demonstrate the laser outputs 5mw. You see that's manufacturing a laser which opens up more legalities. What you propose sounds simple, but it ain't.

Rivem

If we're worried about legalities in the US, what if instead of a complete laser, we pooled up a collection of components and gave them away individually for a single donation run. I'd definitely donate for a chance to win a cool host, good driver, or a few diodes/modules. That'd maybe even create a skill barrier to keep inexperienced/irresponsible members out.

Do any decent laser sellers have gift certificates?

Ricker

If we're worried about legalities in the US, what if instead of a complete laser, we pooled up a collection of components and gave them away individually for a single donation run. I'd definitely donate for a chance to win a cool host, good driver, or a few diodes/modules. That'd maybe even create a skill barrier to keep inexperienced/irresponsible members out.

Do any decent laser sellers have gift certificates?

That would be perfect. Is it illegal to sell a class 4 diode and a host, driver, batteries, etc. IF the diode itself is not connected to the rest? Making it a "hot" option like JayRob does.

Rivem

That would be perfect. Is it illegal to sell a class 4 diode and a host, driver, batteries, etc. IF the diode itself is not connected to the rest? Making it a "hot" option like JayRob does.

I believe that the FDA makes a distinction between a "laser product" and an "OEM laser component." The latter of which doesn't require a laser class, so I don't see why not. I was thinking that components could either be mailed individually or given to different users. Maybe multiple users could donate components and one or more could win them.