Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why not build and auction a custom laser for donations?

Rico2

I'm not sure if any of the forum members have suggested this before, but why not build a custom laser using parts and expertise from forum members and auction it off every month with the proceeds going to the forum? On top of that, the members whose parts we use would benefit as well from the build. We could have Eghemus build a wicked cool host that would house a nubm44 diode obtained from DTR, then send it to Grainde and have him throw some futuristic gitd accents on the host to set it off. After finishing it, throw it in the buy, sell, trade section and allow members to bid on it, with anything over cost going to the forum. At the very least, it would be super cool to see a group build come together, in my opinion.

who's going to pay for the diode, host, gitd and so on? your idea is great but someone is going to draw the short straw...

eg: i pay for all the part and build it.. then auction it here...(i would want some profit from selling stuffs ).... mean while others member can ask for the same host,diode and gitd and build it themselves for less cost..... you see where i'm coming from?

I agree with Isaac's point; what's gunna make them want to bid on it if they can just buy the same thing for the actual price? It's a good idea, but I just don't see it working without a twist of some sort that will make people want to bid.

Rico2

Excellent constructive criticism, and I agree with both, but if their was something to make the laser stand out, such as a custom one of a kind host that will only be built that one time, would you bid on it?

Razako

It would need to be something very special and unique. IE a 561 module built into an attractive pointer or something else unusual. Proceeds could be used to cover the builders expenses and then the rest could go to the forum.

Last edited:
I agree, but it can work if one or more people will donate the parts and someone build the laser and is willing to pay for shipping, then we can hold a r@ffle and people can pay $2 or $3 per entry and then a winner is chosen at random. This has been done before but may or may not bring in much money. This way no one has to spend much to get a chance at winning the laser.

Alan

I don't mind digging around for modules Razako :) but are people willing to pay the price is the question...

Ehgemus is not making hosts anymore :cryyy:
the other problem is this will not work since some member will bid $500 and some members will never have the chance to get a laser :na:
and other issue is some 14y kid will come purchase a laser and more problems for LPF :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What did you just said?? No more host from Ehgemus?why? You're kidding right?

Ricker

I agree, but it can work if one or more people will donate the parts and someone build the laser and is willing to pay for shipping, then we can hold a r@ffle and people can pay $2 or $3 per entry and then a winner is chosen at random. This has been done before but may or may not bring in much money. This way no one has to spend much to get a chance at winning the laser.

Alan

This is what I was thinking too Alan, we have had great success with doing laser donations with r@ffle tickets with all profits going towards the LPF donations just since I've started. Ultimately someone is going to pay due to donating something to put up to r@ffle off. But ideally you get a lot more money due to all the donations going to LPF, and not having to pay for parts, labor, etc.

Rico2

This will work. We just need to make the laser totally unique, one of a kind, and super desirable.

This is what I was thinking too Alan, we have had great success with doing laser donations with r@ffle tickets with all profits going towards the LPF donations just since I've started. Ultimately someone is going to pay due to donating something to put up to r@ffle off. But ideally you get a lot more money due to all the donations going to LPF, and not having to pay for parts, labor, etc.

Yes that's right, we just need some people to donate parts or money to build the laser, or one person with lots of money. We can require that you have to be 18 and we can set a limit on who can enter, like 50 posts and positive rep, this was done before, it will work just fine. The laser gets sent to a senior vet that can be trusted, each entry is assigned a number, we allow entries for 60 days or whatever and a winner is selected with a random number generator.

Alan

I don't mind digging around for modules Razako :) but are people willing to pay the price is the question...

This explains why i was building pen size lasers. and i still have 3 diodes no host
and am getting 1 more num44 and i will not have a laser host.
:(-:cryyy:-:(

Last edited:
Yes that's right, we just need some people to donate parts or money to build the laser, or one person with lots of money. We can require that you have to be 18 and we can set a limit on who can enter, like 50 posts and positive rep, this was done before, it will work just fine. The laser gets sent to a senior vet that can be trusted, each entry is assigned a number, we allow entries for 60 days or whatever and a winner is selected with a random number generator.

Alan

:topic: - - :takeit: - - :whistle:

This explains why i was building pen size lasers. and i still have 3 diodes no host
and am getting 1 more num44 and i will not have a laser host.
:(-:cryyy:-:(

I know a guy... Just in case Ehgemus decide not to come back..I shall take over the laser host industry muahahabha :eg:

oh man we are off topic :gh:
Yehh my wife is telling me just purchase the machine and start making the hosts :D

Last edited: