Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why have i not seen laser pointers like this? (laser pointer Idea)

Just a idea that popped into my head....
donmt know why people didnt build it yet. seems a simple yet powerful idea.
0d2k.png

You can even hold it on a cool way...by allowing the beam to go through your fore finger and middle finger.

And combinations of blue and red would be possible with this.

for savety i do recommend building something extra to it so you dont burn your fingers.
v7zo.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG

Blord

It is quite dangerous to design a laser like that. The consensus is that the laserbeam comes out at the tip. Ignorance people may hold the pen like any other laserpens and the beam shoots right into the eyes. :eek:

And how do you want to focus the beam ?

Last edited:
Probably because it would cost more than twice as much as a standard pointer. You need two drivers and two diodes and then you need to align the cube.

Youd also have to be careful as the PBS isnt perfect and a proportion of the light from each diode will hit the other. You then risk, esp. with high power diodes, killing one or both of them...

Interesting idea though. :beer:

Edit: Focusing shouldnt be a prob as you could build that into the raised purple area. I do agree with the safety aspect of a beam from the center however.

Last edited:
It is quite dangerous to design a laser like that. The consensus is that the laserbeam comes out at the tip. Ignorance people may hold the pen like any other laserpens and the beam shoots right into the eyes. :eek:

And how do you want to focus the beam ?

yeah sorry i forgot to add the lens system to the pointer.
also forgot the on-off button.

and yeah the laser comes out of a less obvious place thus it can be more dangerous. but do we give our lasers to people who dont understand danger?

i think this is a nice idea for people who want to make a even more powerful pointer, or combine to make a purple beam :)

EDIT: the danger aspect could be lessened if you make small buttons on the outside where you place your hand. so only when grabbed properly, it can go on. this would be alot less easy then the image though.

Last edited:
One laser would have to be pointed at the back of the cube and then the other at the side for it to work. So you could make a "7" host lol.

ped

How do you knife edge lasers opposite each other? :thinking::thinking:

Trevor

But that's not knife edging is it? :thinking:

In normal knife-edging the beams are all coming in from the same direction... this would use the same principle, just with two beams coming in opposite each other.

I'm not sure what the formal definition of knife edging is, though...

Trevor

In normal knife-edging the beams are all coming in from the same direction... this would use the same principle, just with two beams coming in opposite each other.

I'm not sure what the formal definition of knife edging is, though...

Trevor

Knife edging can be done with mirrored right angle prisms. As seen in this Thorlabs product.

Last edited:
But that's not knife edging is it? :thinking:

Knife edging is any method that combines beams by placing the beams close, and parallel to each other. Pretty much any reflecting surface could be used - it is not limited to prisms.

ARG

More difficult to implement than other multi-diode handhelds IMO, I like having all my batteries in one place, all my drivers in one place ect.

Plus, it's hard to point a tradition handheld in the wrong place, I imagine it would be fairly easy to shoot your eye out with this :p