Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why do you think Wicked Lasers is such a bad company?

^^ This.

I'll add that, for long range burning, a 800mW - 1W 405nm is best IMO. Being single mode, the 405nm can maintain higher power density over longer distance.

All that aside, it's difficult, if not impractical to burn at any real distance. Unless you have super steady hands, or don't mind using a tripod to hold the laser while you aim it, it's a PITA.

Treser

Thanks again guys for your valuable info. Seems that it’s almost not possible to be content with only one handheld laser. How more I study it how more I come to the conclusion that I need a whole array of specialized lasers from a companie who delivers service and quality ;) After all the info I got I see WL now as the Apple under the smartphones (I would never ever buy an Apple phone :) ). I am a HTC user since 2006 and befor that XDA and befor that Nokia.
I hope I get around with Jetlasers. Send a PM yesterday and hope we can soon find a solution.

Does anyone know where they use the infrared handheld lasers for, +800nm and higher?
I assume you could see these laser beams with night vision goggles. But what’s the use for this.
I have a Nikon 550m laser to measure the distance and I understand that the infrared laser is ideal for that. But I understand that the handheld lasers have now distance measurement option build in.

Encap

Email Gray at JetLasers----ask him whatever you need to know.

Gray jetlasers@gmail.com is the best in the business at Customer service and representing product honestly.

Last edited:

Encap

Ask Gray about your application and delivery question---a 4W 445 is incredibly bright--I don't think you will be able to get much use of it as per you comment "wood burning/painting on a short distance and also text writing and paint freehand artwork on several materials." for several reason---duty cycle needed, to bright to be able to see what you are doing, and many others not the least of which is it will be very dangerous in terms of eye safety even the slightest accident----keep in mind that occular damage occurs culmulatively over time with exposure and that irreversable damage occurs so fast---faster than blink relfex of .25 seconds---that the is nothing you can do to stop it from happening without protective eyewear. Maybe have a look at: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/wood-burning-laser-suggestions-70039.html also see: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html and Wood Engraving | Laser Materials | Universal Laser Systems

Readup on blue hazard also--- High-energy visible light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When blue light is absorbed by retinal tissue it induces oxidative stress and the causes the formation of indigestible debris which accumulates in the outer retina. The cummulative effect of chronic, sub-lethal oxidative retinal stress and the accumulation of oxidative debris in the outer retina contributes to the development of AMD.

JetLasers are exceptional-- high quality professional grade lasers-- however not magic in what they can and can't do.

If you want beam visability to display from top of you mountain---high power green will be the brightest to the human eye. a 400mw 532nm green will appear as bright as a 4W 445nm blue ---an 800nm green will have a beam 2X as bright and a dot 4X as bright as a 4W 445 blue See: Dot: (445nm 4000mw) vs. (532nm 800mw)

Maybe also a good idea to study up on details at : Laser Pointer Safety - A comprehensive resource, for safe and responsible laser use
Lots of info there.

Last edited:

Treser

Yep I already had the same idea to order also something like a +/- 400mw laser for the freehand wood burning/painting. I asked him also for 4 pairs of the more expensive goggles that can handle a wider spectrum of waves and has also side protecting.
I have read yesterday the story about the 1W hit in the eyes. Id very important example why you should always wear under every circumstance the protective goggles.
I also read, before yesterday, the Wikipedia about blue light. Very interesting info also the info about the conventional blue led’s we have in and around our houses.
The green ones I understand that they are more visible and give a much sharper edged beam but burn lesser.
I understand that the 4W blue will be to bright for wood burning on a short distance. The most ideal would be something like a 400mw mode. So a switch that lets you choose between 4W or 400mw would be ideal but maybe not available.
What handheld laser would you advice for purely the wood engraving? Does the 400mw has enough power for that?
I understand the bleu 4W has just the most/too much power for artwork but is ideal for starting a campfire or using for pest control and will also work fine for pointing the stars with it 80 km reach on a dark clear night. Green I just don’t find so attractive for star pointing as the blue color. But I understand the point you make.
Looks like I have to order just 2 handheld lasers instead of one 4W blue to fulfill all my needs ;)

Encap

Looks like I have to order just 2 handheld lasers instead of one 4W blue to fulfill all my needs ;)

Ask Gray for advice on the wood burning or any aspect.

Any laser capable of burning wood will be exceptionally dangerous to your (and others') eyesight. It most certainly can be done and there are lasers more suited to it than the handheld visible ones many of us have. None of them are sold as effective woodburning tools for artistic use---when they say burning they mean a hole in a CD case, cuttinng black electrical tape, popping a balloon etc.

400mw is not enough output --you would be much better off with a conventional electric wood burning tool. Here is a 1W 830nm wood burning pen someone built---have a look and see what it can do. How close the laser has to be, much hand control and dwell time is needed. Laser wood burning pen

Most visually impressive 445nm output will be the 4W---great almost solid looking beam -----impressive to see and use outdoors. Is about 2X as bright as a 1W. Still a impressive and a lower cost alternative PL-E PRo 1W or 2W. The intenational Space Station was able to detect a 1W at 310miles altitude.

The extent to which you see a beam depends on the wavelength (or frequency) and intensity of the beam as well as the type and amount of impurities in the air.

Lasers behave differently in the real world than in imagination ---thing that are not usually reflective become dangerously reflective like puddles and other objects--really you need to get some experience with higher power lasers to become familiar with how to handle and what they can do and so on.

Last edited:

Treser

I am wondering would it for artistic laser wood burning not just better to work with a infrared laser so you don’t impair to much your own view on the contact surface during painting/burning.
I understand that too much power with a colored beam is an obstruction to see what you paint and makes it in that way almost impracticable.
But then again I understand it will be not easily to get a handheld laser that has a focal point that works on such a short distance. I will discuss it with Gray and see or he has any alternatives.
Do in the movie, you gave me, with the glass fiber connected laser it seems doable and actually almost good enough for what we are looking for.

With an infrared beam I understand you have to get used to writing with a beam you don’t see but that’s better than a beam that’s too much overexposed. So long you are ALWAYS wearing the needed 830nm and higher nm goggles it should work much better that a overexposed/bright color laser beam. In such a situation you can at least immediately see the result of the burned wood and correct faster than when you vision is impaired on the artwork by too much bright light.
Maybe in the time be eying I just have to accept that there is not such a thing as a perfect artistic freehand handwriting laser pen. Maybe somewhere in the next years someone will come up with a suitable device that has a continuous runtime and can deliver the right power with less overexposure of the working aria.

I completely understand how dangerous reflective materials are in my surroundings when handling a laser. My policy is without goggles on no laser on.
Never ever give them in to the hands of others except when you can trust them 100% and there aren’t any people around without eye protection.
The only moment I can imagine you could lift you goggles is when the laser beam is handled by myself and pointing straight up in the air pointing towards the stars. Every beam that comes from a vertical position in to a horizontal position near the earth’s horizon you have to be protected for as there can me a million of reflective sources around.
I am way over 40 and have still exceptional good eyesight and my whole life extremely cautions for not watching in the sun or watching in to lights/LED’s as I am aware how easily or senses can get damaged.

As a licensed gun owner and Veteran of the UN force in “91 Bosnia I am aware of the risks and understand that a handheld laser has to be handled in the same way as a gun. No excuses always safety first. I also have, since I am a little boy, experience with pen lasers and understand that this level off 4W lasers you cannot compare and need extreme cautious handling. I also see a high powered torch as dangerous weapon when it produces more than 200 lumen of light and is directed straight in to the eyes.

Encap thanks a lot for your thoughts and technical advice about the wood engraving/painting lasers. Cleared a lot up for me and I know what I have to discuss with Gray before investing in a second specific wood painting laser.

Encap

I am wondering would it for artistic laser wood burning not just better to work with a infrared laser so you don’t impair to much your own view on the contact surface during painting/burning.
I understand that too much power with a colored beam is an obstruction to see what you paint and makes it in that way almost impracticable.
But then again I understand it will be not easily to get a handheld laser that has a focal point that works on such a short distance. I will discuss it with Gray and see or he has any alternatives.
Do in the movie, you gave me, with the glass fiber connected laser it seems doable and actually almost good enough for what we are looking for.

With an infrared beam I understand you have to get used to writing with a beam you don’t see but that’s better than a beam that’s too much overexposed. So long you are ALWAYS wearing the needed 830nm and higher nm goggles it should work much better that a overexposed/bright color laser beam. In such a situation you can at least immediately see the result of the burned wood and correct faster than when you vision is impaired on the artwork by too much bright light.
Maybe in the time be eying I just have to accept that there is not such a thing as a perfect artistic freehand handwriting laser pen. Maybe somewhere in the next years someone will come up with a suitable device that has a continuous runtime and can deliver the right power with less overexposure of the working aria.

There are some fiber optic coupled laser with high output are available foy not a lot of money you might be able to experiment with see: Laser Diode 8 Watt 915nm Fiber Coupled 100UM JDSU 6397 L3 8W New 63 00332 | eBay The guy has some lower power version also. approx $200 range. You might have to make such a thing yourself--I don't find any commercially available laser pens for artist use in wood burning available----probably for many reasons not the least of which would be liability.

You might want to check out SciFi lasers to get feet wet with higher power lasers--1W 445nm@$85, 1.3-1.8W $105, and 2- 2.4W@$145----built, owned and run by a LPF memnber -- lower cost alternative basic lasers with short duty cycle mostly 60 sec on , 60 sec off. Output power guaranteed--graph of output supplied with each.
Not the sophisticated level of JetLasers with internal focus and continous duty cycle and other features but a reliable seller of basic lasers with excellent reputation and good customer service out of Israel. http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/sale-sci-fi-lasers-1w-2-4w-blue-85-145-1w-405nm-violet-160-more-85289.html web site : http://www.sflasers.us/

Anyway good luck with whatever way you go--you can trust Gray--100% honest and accurate information--high integrity person. Will never twist the truth just to make a sale.

Last edited:

Treser

Encap thanks for all your information. I am on to it and discussing the possibilities and options with Gray ;-)

IWIRE

Yes Encap, thank you, that is a lot of good info. I love this place, I just learned some more. Must be about time for me to make another donation to the forum. :)

I agree, Gray is honest to the point of talking you out of a sale if it's not what best suits you. Very few people will do that.

Treser

Yes IWIRE you are 100% right. Gray is taking all the time to explain me everything. Not some short half sorted answers but very indebt explanations of everything I want to know before I decide what’s best for me. Looks like a no brainer.
On the other hand I get since 2 weeks bombarded with WL advertisement in my Chrome browser. It shows how commercial they are. Standard I use Firefox and had never ads from things I showed interest in during surfing. But I had some Flash problems and had to install Chrome to have some FB Flash experience without crashing. Unfortunately when I surfed to WL in that same Chrome browser the connections was already made before I knew with the result they bombarding me with ads. Some of these things that put me immediately off to buy from them ;-)

Treser

WL has some cool looking overhyped stuff where JL has cool looking underhyped stuff with double the power for half the price ;-)

IWIRE

WL has some cool looking overhyped stuff where JL has cool looking underhyped stuff with double the power for half the price ;-)

:) It's nice to see a new member do their research before buying. Unfortunately I didn't find this forum until after I had ordered my first laser. No one's fault but my own.
I hope you enjoy your JL laser. :) I have three of their products. :beer:

Encap

Yes exactly--also way better quality products with outstanding functional features like: continous dutuy cycle, interal focusing, rugged build quality plus goodies available like the high quality beam expander they offer. Thier lasers exceed rated specs so that even after long use/running a JetLaser product their lasers will still meet the mon. output power specs.

JetLasers also backs up the sales with the best policies of any company selling lasers that I have ever dealt with. THey have been know to pay return shipping on any product with problems plus shipping to return to you when repaired or replaced and also if you are not happy they will generally allow returns for refund without any problems.

They are a pleasure to deal with and stand 100% behind their products.
JetLasers was founded by laser enthusiasts--they love what they do and proud of their products. They want only happy customers who enjoy thier purchase and feel the received something of value for their hard earned money spent---they actually care. Do they cost a little more than some? Yes---but worth every penny. Very rare these days.

You can't go wrong with JetLasers.

Last edited: