Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why do you need this laser??

DJNY

During planing and measuring for the home decoration in my dad´s flat they also used a laser. My grandma told the man that they used the same ligth for operating her cataract :p

My favorite two lasers are in Perkin Elmer FTIR and UV/Vis spectrometers. The former was used to measure combustion products in diesel engine oil and the latter for identifying and quantifying pharmaceutical drugs and nutritional ingredients.
Hope to have my own UV/Vis one day!

I'm doing some steampunk projects with mine. Also an IR security system, and laser lighter. I think I need at least an 8X to finish the lighter, so its not going to happen for a long time.

I'm doing some steampunk projects with mine. Also an IR security system, and laser lighter. I think I need at least an 8X to finish the lighter, so its not going to happen for a long time.

Laser lighter sounds good. Zippo host? I have seen a red build with that here on the forum, but not the bluray one I think.

That is one hella usefull applications for a laser! No need to buy lighter fuel ever again... just recharge the batt and ready to roll.

I have been thinking about it myself, I figured it would be cool to use those thin, flat cellphone li-ion batteries, you can stack two in parralel in a zippo, you would get capacity of a 18650... well almost.
Keep us updated! :wave:

No, its a torch lighter. It will use 2 10440s. My 6X is slow, so it needs more power. I want it to act like a real lighter.

No, its a torch lighter. It will use 2 10440s. My 6X is slow, so it needs more power. I want it to act like a real lighter.
Something like a pen style?
Or in a real lighter case?

Anyhow... You would need some current to power it up. I would not use 10440, you won't get an hour runtime nohow.

For a real lighter you can always use a 1W IR diode, use AMC7135 driver for 1.05 A, and one 18650 lithium ion.
You can pick up 9mm diode housings from O-like, just ask Susie, they have them for
$4 housing, + $2 shipping, + $4 glass ARC lens.

You should be able to kick a neat 800+mW from it, no need for FAC lens or anyything, close range burner up-front-an'-personal!
I build one of those and hot damn, it will go through a CD case in seconds.

Make sure you get a massive heatsink, if you want to use it longer than 15 seconds and let it to cool for 30.

Good luck with your build TJ!

Thanks, but I like my Blu-Rays.

Here is the host.

sku_1320_1.jpg

Here is the host.
Wow, who would have guessed? :D Your avatar speaks for itself :D

Best laser color, isn't it?

Hold on ... I saw the pic of that host somewhere...
But let's not derail the topic.

Use lasers as lighters! :D

Fantasy light saber. C'mon guys, that's about it really. That's why there are NO women interested in lasers per say. It's a Star Wars fantasy toy. All the practical applications mentioned can be done with very low powers. The fantasy light saber is the only application that requires more than 10 mW.

I'm hearing many applications of lasers here, but few of them are for handheld devices. As soon as you want to DO something with laser light, you bolt it down to a mount and go from there.

Just about ALL of the applications I mentioned in my first post require more than 50mW in a hand-held device. ;)

Here is the host.

sku_1320_1.jpg
Ohhh! That will be different.
I built the Rog811 (Zippo style) lighter.
It works, but as stated takes around 3 X of a "normal" lighter.
It almost looks as if you could squeeze 2 CR2's in there.
(It's hard to judge size from a picture although)
That would give you power + for your 8X. Nice idea and very nice, unusual host for a L/lighter.
An added bonus, you already have a lens cap built-in:wave:

I like it. Good find, T_J
Let's see some pics. when done, please

Last edited:
The Aixiz fits right into the head. I'm going to use the flow control button as an on/off switch so it wont turn on if you hit the main button by accident. Dont want it to turn on in your pocket.

The Aixiz fits right into the head. I'm going to use the flow control button as an on/off switch so it wont turn on if you hit the main button by accident. Dont want it to turn on in your pocket.
Yes, good idea.
An 8X would definitely give you a case of "hot-pants"
Seeing this makes me want to dig through my lighter collection, to see if I can find a awesome L/lighter host.

That one was cheap. Under $5 on DX I think. I bought 2 incase I screw one up.

Totally off topic but wth was with the viper moron? Missed whatever junk he must have been posting.
viper = mrgoogfan? Surprised mrgoogfan lasted over 100 posts. I sure felt that ban coming.

mehh. Just wish idiots would get a clue & stop making work for 2007Rev & c0ld.

Thats gonna be a neat host for your 8X. Nice that its held in a gun like manner. Too bad we will have a wait to see it done.

Last edited: