Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why do we buy lasers, will we get bored with them quickly?

My bad, to be honest I thought I was actually responding to the "I'm from the FDA Thread..."

I had both threads open at the same time so it is my mistake.

Sorry if I derailed the thread..

Last edited:

Milos

I built lasers for a guy who was building a gem stone laser analysis device. Its all good.
Laser beam is either impressive and amazing to you, or not. If it is, than you will enjoy having your laser anytime in the future.

...or you can sell it and buy something else you enjoy. ( like a more powerful laser :) )

cheers

I'm not discouraging the cross platform uses. I'm discouraging the umpteen redundant posts.

Make a thread, and open up a discussion about it. No need to keep plugging the same topic in every thread he posts. We're not a reef forum.

Lets please get back on track.

Edit: Thanks Milos.

Last edited:
Even though I probably only use my lasers for only a few minutes during the day, I make up for it by coming on LPF and getting my fix here. :)

Just the time it takes to save up for a 473nm or 589nm means plenty of time for me to dream about them for weeks or months on end. Just the thought of them keeps me pretty busy and content. :p

Last edited:
Another handy use of laser pointers is to clear birds (pigeons, crows) out of areas you don't want them. Birds are hyper-aware of green light, and will skedaddle at the merest dance of a dot near them.

Lasers also make for interesting photo ops. Lots of things to shine them through or on for nice effects.

There's never a dull moment if you have a laser with you, in my case, in my purse. I was so close to livening up the waiting room at a Jiffy Lube the other day when I was waiting for an oil change.. People were sitting around bored out of their skulls, staring at the floor. But I chickened out.

Laser beam is either impressive and amazing to you, or not. If it is, than you will enjoy having your laser anytime in the future.

...or you can sell it and buy something else you enjoy. ( like a more powerful laser :) )

cheers

I discovered lasers roughly five years ago - and use them almost every day. I think it's up to the individual to see if he/she gets bored over time. I probably will be a laser freak for years to come.

This entire forum is chock full of ideas for uses for one's lasers, so it's a good idea to look around here if you're not sure.

Good to see you here, Milos.

Blord

Another handy use of laser pointers is to clear birds (pigeons, crows) out of areas you don't want them. Birds are hyper-aware of green light, and will skedaddle at the merest dance of a dot near them.

I use lasers too to scare off the pigeon from my roof. They dump the whole place under shit.
When you shout and wave your arm to the pigeons the neighbours think you are crazy. The laser will do the job much easier. :crackup:

Last edited:
I live near the beaches and I see plastic owl decoys on seaside porches, boats etc- most birds like pidgeons and seagulls fear owls as preditors-- and will go shit else where- no batteries and they work 24/7. I have seen starlings get used to my green laser and seem to be no longer avoiding it.

On Topic- I have seen a large number of handhelds owners/builders becoming bored, even with building and move up the evolutionary ladder to projectors- usually going thru a stage of Lumias and other simple projects- like liquid sky, speaker bouncers and tunnel EFX.

Unfortunetly-- PJs whether DIY or purchased are more expensive,... however getting bored is no longer an issue.
PMing you with a link...hak

Nimoxp

I think a lot of people who buy simple laser pens have the same problem as you, LightBeam. I think the key is to use them for something. That's why I started making laser gloves, because it gives them a useful purpose and a way to have fun with them for years rather then weeks.

Some people use them for photography. You can make holograms with lasers (and through holograms understand more about how the brain works).

When you say laser gloves, are you talking about the type that Guitarist Steve Vai uses for some of his songs? Also is that where you got the idea?

Ablaze

Hmm.. I can't find any youtube videos of Steve Vei with laser gloves so I don't know what type he uses. He probably uses the cheap red ones with the cutoff fingers. I really couldn't see playing the guitar with any laser gloves that don't have cut off fingers.

Most of my laser gloves do go to bands and musicians from all around the world. I am currently making a large order for a venue in Dubai, The Alchemy Project.

Me and my brother came up with the idea for laser gloves about 6 years ago when a dim red laser pen was still hot stuff. I've been refining it since then.

Last edited:

Nimoxp

Hmm.. I can't find any youtube videos of Steve Vei with laser gloves so I don't know what type he uses. He probably uses the cheap red ones with the cutoff fingers. I really couldn't see playing the guitar with any laser gloves that don't have cut off fingers.

Most of my laser gloves do go to bands and musicians from all around the world. I am currently making a large order for a venue in Dubai, The Alchemy Project.

Me and my brother came up with the idea for laser gloves about 6 years ago when a dim red laser pen was still hot stuff. I've been refining it since then.

Ha, yeah there's no way playing guitar with gloves on...they are cut off. How did you know about those? I thought it was something he put together.

Here's the video of Vai playing with the gloves(2004) I believe this concert was played on. I've had the DVD for years.

Steve Vai Bad horsie Live at The Astoria - YouTube

BTW, nice idea you have with making those for musicians.

Ablaze

When you sell laser gloves, it's just good business to know about every other model of laser glove that's available. Those aren't any model that is commercially available, he had to have made them himself.

I have only recently gotten into this hobby. I have 4 with one other in the shop being fixed, and one being built with the Mace of Doom 2. They make for interesting conversations. I'll point them up the hill in the backyard or into the trees. I don't point them into the sky since an airport is nearby. I experiment with various fluorescent items. I'll etch into wood, burn paper or see what they do to various objects.

I put them in a lockbox, alongside my safety goggles.

actually this is really cool use for a laser.
well a few years ago. my house got struck by lightning. i used my 75mW 532 to check for smoke while waiting for the fire department to show. attic, top floor, main floor. everywhere. its pretty obvious when you hit smoke.

actually this is really cool use for a laser.
well a few years ago. my house got struck by lightning. i used my 75mW 532 to check for smoke while waiting for the fire department to show. attic, top floor, main floor. everywhere. its pretty obvious when you hit smoke.

Great idea:beer: +1