Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why buy a laser when you can build your own??

Hi,
I don't see why people just don't build there own lasers. Im sure there are a lot of them who want to buy and burn,but thats not what this hobby is all about.With the money you send on a laser ,you can buy all the basic tools ,diodes and drivers.Read and search this forum for info and give it a shot. Tell me what you folks think, I'm sure there are lots of reasons.

gozert

It depends on the company I buy it from. Take Jetlasers for example. Why the hell would I get a 1.5W 462nm for 279$? Well, because their hosts are amazing and offer a temporary switch as well as a clicky switch. It has a key lock and led's for when the lasers armed. Aside of that it has a very nice focusing mechanism and overall their lasers have better beam specs than if you were to build one yourself.

Sure, building one by myself is going to be cheaper, but in some cases I'm willing to pay a premium in comparison for a laser that's overall just a bit better than what I would build. Of course you can make builds like these yourself too, but that involves quite a bit of time, patience and wouldn't be that much cheaper in the end.

Now, Jetlasers is one of the few companies that has such awesome hosts, so let me give another example. Take Dragonlasers. Their lasers are manufactured by CNI, making them of a quality that's not easily surpassed by building your own laser. Their hosts are simple, but solid and, in my opinion, look pretty good as well. Each and every one of their lasers has a low divergence, and depending on the wavelength a very tight beam as well. And, in the end, you won't have to go through the pain of finding a proper beam expander for most of their lasers.

This said, it doesn't necessarily mean that I'd rather buy a pre-built laser from one of these companies because it saves me work or anything like that. I find building my own lasers very exciting and rewarding, so it really depends on what I'm looking for in a laser when it comes to either building or buying it.

Last edited:
I like buying my own lasers simply because that's what my interests are. I've debated doing some DIY work but I haven't gotten starting on that quite yet, plus those CNI labbies look pretty darn cool :)

-Alex

GSS

I see it as when a kid buys his first car some like to learn and work on it and others have someone else do the work but still enjoy to drive. Some might just not have it in them and others just have the knack right of the bat. It seems that alot of the members here start of with a green cheapie and start from there. Tools and meters add up I guess unless your an electrition or something of that sort. I have a hand tremor so that can make it difficult to solder so im weary of trying a nice 1W build and blow a nice diode so I stick to the green pen builds for now. and when you see a nice kit and the company will build it for $20 more I might go with that

I prefer to build my own, that way I know it's good quality and not defective in any way. I know exactly what's in it and how it's put together and I can fix it if it stops working.

I have an education and experience in electronics, so it was easy for me to learn about lasers and I have yet to kill a diode or driver or have anything go wrong, but that's not true of most of the members here, so most people would have a lot to learn and may have an expensive screw up a couple of times, many here have never used a soldering iron or a DMM, so I can see why people just buy them, but I have seen way too many threads here where someone has a Chinese made laser that quit working and they want to fix it, only to find out it's made with nonstandard parts and usually epoxied together and not repairable.

People shouldn't be too intimidated about learning. It's very easy to buy parts where the hard part is already done for you, it can be as simple as soldering two pairs of wires together and assembling several parts, or if you want it can be much more DIY.

I have in the past posted some threads showing examples of the easiest ways to build a laser:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-m140-c6-pic-heavy-83543.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-445nm-9mm-stainless-steel-host-pic-heavy-85997.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/pl520-build-1-3-lasers-very-pic-heavy-88336.html#top

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/s06j-12x-build-2-3-lasers-very-pic-heavy-89098.html#post1296670

And photos from my last build: Blue450nm Slideshow by Pi-R-Squared | Photobucket

Some links in those threads might not still work, and one diode is no longer sold by DTR, and Mrcrouse is no longer in business, but these will give you some ideas and help people to become familiar with the parts. I will do another one soon.

Alan

Wow guys awesome replies i thank you very much. Its interesting to see many points of views coming out of this forum.I thought this thread would produce some intelligent input on the subject.I was reluctant to even post this comment and just read what you gents have to say.Keep them coming please i thrive on smart info like this. You folks are pure genius in yor opinions.. :)

GSS

Lifetime17 and PiRSquared you are 2 of alot the members that have a natural talent for this. I see this on your posts. When something comes easy to someone they might have a hard time understanding why someone else doesnt get it (its strange isnt it). Cars and machining is my thing and at times I might get frustrated lets say as an example telling someone how to check their oil but them not getting why you have to wait a few minutes after shutting down the car for the oil to reach the oil pan. Ive seen brilliant doctors that dont know lol. dont think I can rep u guys again yet? I am thinking of getting one of Scifi lasers kit but waiting for my built one to arrive first:bowdown: Hows this just this morning I put a fastech module that was way overspec in an extra pen host, so am I there yet?lol PirSquared the posts are still active by the way

Last edited:
Sure thing trial and error makes us better every time thats how we learn. Good for you my friend building your self esteem is the way to go. Keep at it post a build in so many steps, others lean from all of this. Your doing quite well brother :))

PI and many others here are awesome folks with there inputs if it wasn't for all the great members where would we be ??

Rich :)

Last edited:
Im a full time mechanic! Once I figured out how to build lasers I realized I have no reason to buy a prebuilt one unless its something obscure… like my 589nm!

GSS

Sure thing trial and error makes us better every time thats how we learn. Good for you my friend building your self esteem is the way to go. Keep at it post a build in so many steps, others lean from all of this. Your doing quite well brother :))

PI and many others here are awesome folks with there inputs if it wasn't for all the great members where would we be ??

Rich :)
Thanks for the comments:yh: many times I dont post cause I feel nothing to ad but I enjoy others with of the cuff questions if I get the right phone or camera il post some of my phaser builds that ive added lasers. Your right good people here who like to steer you the right way. 10Fenny ive seen your profile haha cars cars cars. you have to hear this ive known people that only know how long a mile is if they count city blocks (forgive me God for laughing) I guess if you grew up in big citys thats how they learn.Thank all:beer:

Thanks for the comments:yh: many times I dont post cause I feel nothing to ad but I enjoy others with of the cuff questions if I get the right phone or camera il post some of my phaser builds that ive added lasers. Your right good people here who like to steer you the right way. 10Fenny ive seen your profile haha cars cars cars. you have to hear this ive known people that only know how long a mile is if they count city blocks (forgive me God for laughing) I guess if you grew up in big citys thats how they learn.Thank all:beer:

:crackup: There are also some people that don't know the difference between a statute mile, a nautical mile, or a kilometer. Just like a ton or a metric ton. Anyone reading that doesn't know, please Google those.

Alan

GSS

:crackup: There are also some people that don't know the difference between a statute mile, a nautical mile, or a kilometer. Just like a ton or a metric ton. Anyone reading that doesn't know, please Google those.

Alan
You wont google it for me? Please! lol even the dollar store personal phone books have a little calculation section and a little ruler printed in side:)

Alan
And those same people are surprised to learn that a pound of gold weighs 12 ounces. :huh:

Ed

Because im lazy i dont see the point in building really like i can build my own computer but the latest i bought a pre-built and ready one because i felt its better, i rather pay more but get a good laser already built thats mote fun to me then sit and build and make mistakes before u have a working one.

For me building them is the only way to go!

Yea I bought a few in the beginning but I really came to enjoy building them and I totally agree with Alan, if you build it yourself you know the quality that went in to it and you know best how to repair it if it should suddenly stop working.

Reactions: GSS
Glad to see you guys enjoying this all your views on the topic are great. I myself didn't realize so many different points of in discussion . Lots of info here and smart folks Wow ..

Rich:)