Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why are 445nm lasers so much more powerful than other wavelengths?

Bounty

I know its probably very obvious, but i cant understand why it is so much easier/cheaper to make high output blue lasers. Is it because the components are much cheaper or is it the wavelength?

When i compare the price/wavelength of 445nm blue to...lets say yellow (577nm i think)

Cheers

ARG

Well, yellow lasers are generally DPSS which requires a lot more percision and work to build. Blue lasers are cheap to make because the diodes can be harvested out of a projector.

Quote taken from here

"The diodes were reportedly harvested from C**** video projectors, which are widely available online and and office supply stores. This line of projectors uses up to 24 laser diodes, each of which can output in the 500 mW - 1 W region. In early 2010, hobbyists discovered that by disassembling and “harvesting” the projectors, they could create up to 24 handheld lasers, each with up to 1 watt of output power. Previously such diodes cost around $2400 each; however an $840 projector could yield 24 diodes making the cost just $35 each."

However C**** is currently sending out cease-and-desist letters to people harvesting the diodes and re-selling them... (Source)

Last edited:

Bounty

OK i see, the diodes are really cheap well it would be nice if they started making other colored diodes for their projectors! I cant see them being able to do too much about it.

Thanks for the info and link ;)

Last edited:

ARG

No problem, glad it helped. Yeah, I don't see C**** being able to have a big impact on the hobby with their cease-and-desist letters :D

Last edited:

rhd

I know its probably very obvious, but i cant understand why it is so much easier/cheaper to make high output blue lasers. Is it because the components are much cheaper or is it the wavelength?

When i compare the price/wavelength of 445nm blue to...lets say yellow (577nm i think)

Guys, please edit the name C@$IO out of your threads ASAP.

ARG explained the yellow DPSS issue, same is true of green (532) and blue (473).

With respect to other diodes, blue (445) really isn't that much more powerful. IR diodes (808, etc) frequently hit or exceed 2W, for less expense than a blue (445).

They don't really care. After all they're selling projectors because of it. However they have to do it from a legal standpoint in this litigatus society we live in purely as a CYA move so they can show they actively tried to prevent and discourage such behavior.. So when some kid blinds himself or someone else due to a kipkay video, and his parents decide they can make a quick buck at some 'big bad corporation's expense, they will have prior legal documentation that they have tried to discourage the practice.

But like I said.. as far as actually getting sued for taking apart a projector.. They wouldn't really have much of a case against anyone for doing what they wanted with hardware they bought unless someone was trying to reverse engineer and duplicate the device.. then IP infringement would apply.

Though it is wise not to actively do stuff that would make them unhappy.. so it's best not to mention the name of that particular company in any thread discussing such things as blue diodes.

Last edited:

Bounty

It appears that without "%@$4!0" we wouldnt be where we are now without their projectors and the diodes. We must be greatfull to them ;)

to actually answer your question, the 445nm diodes are made beffier. there are more internal wires to carry more current. and i'm sure the optical cavity is matched.

michael.

Bounty

I see....but wouldnt it be fairly simple to just make a better diode and stuff for other wavelengths? The price of yellow lasers to me is just crazy. $1000 for a 20mW yellow beam is just insanity.

rhd

I see....but wouldnt it be fairly simple to just make a better diode and stuff for other wavelengths? The price of yellow lasers to me is just crazy. $1000 for a 20mW yellow beam is just insanity.

It's not QUITE that much for 20mW of yellow. A few weeks ago I ordered my first *expensive* laser, and it was a yellow. $599 for 50mW of 589nm from DragonLasers.

It's not QUITE that much for 20mW of yellow. A few weeks ago I ordered my first *expensive* laser, and it was a yellow. $599 for 50mW of 589nm from DragonLasers.

Just seen you sig.. Must be terrible knowing its just sitting that close lol. Im waiting for CA Post to get back to work so I can order something myself. Lets hope they get to an agreement soon, I can't wait to see how your DL comes in.

-Greg

@ bounty, pay attention to the other posts. the difference between the 445's and the yellow is that the 445 is a diode laser and the yellow is a dpss. DPSS is extremely inefficient in the conversion process from ir to yellow and you need a huge pump diode to achieve it. much more than in a dpss green. that is why yellow and blue dpss lasers are so expensive. the 445s are bought in bulk by a major manufacturer and are inexpensive because so.

michael.

rhd

Just seen you sig.. Must be terrible knowing its just sitting that close lol. Im waiting for CA Post to get back to work so I can order something myself. Lets hope they get to an agreement soon, I can't wait to see how your DL comes in.

-Greg

You have no idea how horrible it is!

On account of working my arse off this summer, I have a whole bunch of really neat stuff in the mail waiting for me. It is driving me crazy. Working hard is a lot more fun when you know there's at least a chance something fun will be waiting for you at home.

(and I have something else even cooler than a yellow on it's way to going in that sig ;) )

Last edited:

Trevor

For record:

594.1nm = HeNe
593.5nm = DPSS
589nm = DPSS
577nm = OPSL

So 577nm is going to stay expensive for quite a while.

594.1nm is only getting rarer, since HeNe lasers of that wavelength go in pretty specialized equipment.

593.5nm and 589nm are made via sum frequency generation of two different wavelengths of IR (as opposed to 532nm, which combines two 1064nm photons). Saying this is extremely touchy and complex would be the understatement of the century.

-Trevor

Guys, please edit the name C@$IO out of your threads ASAP.

I don't mean to pick on you because I've seen this from several people but what's the point now? They know this forum exists and that people are extracting and selling the diodes . As long as people aren't putting up tutorials on how to extract them or using their name in their "for sale" threads anymore there won't be anymore issues (baring any unforeseen massive acts of stupidity by someone).