Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which Laser Pointer Do I Need for my Patented Idea?

Encap

kecked said:

Grating on laserpointer.
Do you imagine a grating on a 5mW or less pointer will be bright enough on grass in full 12 noon clear sky daylight.
I don't think so. but maybe.
Before the guy spends any money on anything else as part of his patented product scheme if whatever it is is even patent able----he should get a 5mW or less laser pointer and manually wave it around in circles on green grass in full daylight from a distance of 10 or 12 feet away, to see if he can make a very visible circle that is 3-4 feet in diameter that will even be acceptable in his imagined product, I would think.

The question is where is he going to get a real 5mW or less 532nm green laser---all of the 301s are 50 to 100mW even though promoted and listed everywhere as 5 or <5mW.
Maybe ZBolt has authentic US FDA legal 5mW or less pointers--I seems to remember they are a USA seller complying with the law and offering 5mW pens etc.

Edit: Zbolt does have real 5mW or less green pointers see: https://www.custom-laser-pointers.com/laser-safety
Laserglow Canada also does.

Grating on laserpointer. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/E~gAAOSw~gxfc8tt/s-l400.jpg

not sure were to buy but thats a picture of the result. no moving parts. You have to use optics to change the size.
It's offered on eBay for $7.65 + $5 shipping see: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Circle-Dif...388225&hash=item1f172fc973:g:E~gAAOSw~gxfc8tt

Not certain if that would fit his purpose however and there is stil the question or 5mW or less in full daylight and so on + he has the following requirements --a plastic window will reduce the output even further from 5mW so...
  • fits inside a fiberglass or hard plastic tube (< 2" in diameter)
  • projects through the transparent fiberglass/plastic without damaging the materials over time
  • projects a circular outline on grass in daylight
  • does not burn or damage grass over time
  • battery-powered with at least 10 hours of continuous battery life
The whole thing sounds like a non-starter to me --answer is still no to his original question ---there is no pointer he can buy that will do what he wants

Last edited:
OP, if you get tired of hearing how it cannot be done, I offer consulting in for $100. I'm not interested in taking the idea, whatever it is.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Sounds like he wants to make a light sabre with the added function of a circle projection to highlight a target maybe

kecked

with a grating you spread the energy so the caclutaion for mpe will yield a much higher power than 5mw and will depend on the size of the ring and the thickness of the ring. I think a 50 or even 100 mw laser might be feasible and still meet mpe. Also remember with a grating as compared to a scanned circle the peak power is reduced everywhere. Will it be visible in moon sun. Yes from a few feet but not more. If you figure out the flux at noon you’ll see your sunk before you start. But what do I know. Try it. Too bad they don’t make cheap 575nm. That yellow is visible in direct sun. I have 36mw and can see the beam and the dot at a couple hundred feet. Never seem another wavelength that can do that.

Encap

with a grating you spread the energy so the caclutaion for mpe will yield a much higher power than 5mw and will depend on the size of the ring and the thickness of the ring. I think a 50 or even 100 mw laser might be feasible and still meet mpe. Also remember with a grating as compared to a scanned circle the peak power is reduced everywhere. Will it be visible in moon sun. Yes from a few feet but not more. If you figure out the flux at noon you’ll see your sunk before you start. But what do I know. Try it. Too bad they don’t make cheap 575nm. That yellow is visible in direct sun. I have 36mw and can see the beam and the dot at a couple hundred feet. Never seem another wavelength that can do that.
The OP doesn't just want to make one piece for himself to play with on his property with whatever output is needed to do the job. He wants to obtain a US Patent for busness reasons so I would guess he wants the final iteration of his imagned device to be viable as a product that can be sold within the USA without restriction.

US FDA commercial product limit is 5mW or less without a variance -- so is no go as an exempt product --whatever it is.
As mentioned prior:
"Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.
21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers.. Pointers may not exceed the accessible emission limits of CDRH Class IIIa or IEC Class 3R."
see: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...rtant-information-laser-pointer-manufacturers

Light show laser projectors or laser projector like devices of any kind that could make a circle are likewise limited to 5mW or less ... see: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...-and-entertainment-products/laser-light-shows

Last edited:

Porky

The idea does have a provisional patent, which is just a placeholder for the idea for 12 months until deciding if I want to file with the USPTO. I obviously understand that you can't put one invention inside another invention and call it your own invention. However, there are "use" patents that allow you to use a product for a purpose outside of what the original patent owner intended.
There is no such thing as a "provisional patent". It is a "provisional application". The distinction is important.

A provisional only serves as a priority claim IF it is properly written and fully discloses what you are trying to patent. If it's two paragraphs of vague language written on a napkin, it is probably useless.

And "intended use" is not really a thing, either.

With that said, there's nothing inherently impossible about attempting to patent whatever you've come up with. If your device is novel and nonobvious, it doesn't matter that you used off-the-shelf components to build it -- EVERYTHING uses, at some level, off-the-shelf components. The "novel and nonobvious" threshold is, intentionally, a low bar. Rubbing fabric softener onto a sheet of fabric to throw it into a dryer was "novel and nonobvious" and created a multibillion-dollar (and patent-protected) market for "Bounce". The guy who combined a ball-bearing race with a couple of hubcaps got multiple patents on wheel spinners, too. You don't have to do basic research to come up with something new and useful.

gazer101

Wait a second what if you **** a wire around **** and then **** it backwards to create ****?
Its genius

EDIT: Censored potential giveaways for this soon-to-be-provisionally-patented idea

Hmmm. An FDA legal, 532 nm laser capable of creating a 4 foot visible circle on grass on a cloudless day at high noon.
I think we are being had lol.
I spent a lot of time over at the Patent Office and on the phone with people over there trying to figure out a way to patent magic effects at a cost that would be practical for individual, non-corporate magi. Not sure this qualifies.

From the OP's description, even if it were possible, I do not see anything patentable.....except of course if this device is for the detection of particularly tasty patches of grass for our cow friends. I mean, eating the same old dry grass every day gets pretty old.